Are Left Tackles Overrated in Today's Passing Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Saw this on PewterReport;

five-to-ten years ago if you looked at who the top left tackles were, chances are they were on the best offenses. The man mountains of the last generation like Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, and Willie Roaf were in the playoffs every year. But those were in the days when passing yards were harder to come by with pass rushers able to hit quarterbacks harder and more often and defensive backs able to play more physically with wide receivers. With the recent rule changes passing yards have never been easier. Last year 10 different quarterbacks threw for over 4000 yards. In 2004 only five quarterbacks threw for that much. So in order for all those quarterbacks to be throwing for all those yards, they must have had some great offensive linemen giving them all that time, right? Not really. Here are the 10 quarterbacks and their left tackles.

1. Matt Schaub -> Duane Brown
2. Peyton Manning -> Charlie Johnson
3. Tony Romo -> Flozell Adams
4. Aaron Rodgers -> Chad Clifton
5. Tom Brady -> Matt Light
6. Drew Brees -> Jermon Bushrod
7. Ben Roethlisberger -> Max Starks
8. Philip Rivers -> Marcus McNeil
9. Brett Favre -> Bryant McKinnie
10. Eli Manning -> David Diehl

Of this list, only two left tackles would be considered upper echelon, McKinnie and McNeil. One is currrently unemployed (Adams), one just watched his team use a 1st round pick on his replacement (Clifton), and one is likely in his last year as a starter (Light). All evidence shows that good quarterbacks are good regardless of who their left tackle is.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
I think LTs are very important. Especially if its the QB's blindside.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I dont think left tackles are overrated, because they have ruined some really good QB's coming out of college. And if you look at last years stats, 6 of the top 7 teams who had the fewest sacks last year made the playoffs. 2 of the top four made it to the Super Bowl, so I think that it has to start with an efficient pass protection. Although it has become more of a pass oriented offense around the league, teams still run the ball and great left tackles who can do both are great assets. Just look at the year Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams had after the Dolphins drafted Jake Long. I dont feel it was just a conicidence that since they drafted Long, they have had good success.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If anybody thinks LT's are 'overrated', watch Bryant McKinnie and the 2009 NFC Championship game.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Did you not read?

Of this list, only two left tackles would be considered upper echelon, McKinnie and McNeil.

Mooche

Reaction score
I just don't see how you can consider these guys overrated. I look at a lot of these lines, and most of them have solid cores, I mean the Steelers are the exception I guess. Overall though, these teams have decent lines around these not entirely stellar LT's so I guess that sort of masks the problem at the LT spot.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
SMH.

That doesn't answer the question at hand.

Mooche

Reaction score
Not entirely, no, but you didn't answer my question earlier... If these guys are "overrated" why are teams investing Top 10 draft picks, EVERY year on these guys?

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
I don't <Censored>ing know why. Maybe because they're a hot commodity at the moment...?

They get a lot of praise but let's be honest that list at the top of this page doesn't lie.

Mooche

Reaction score
The proof is in the pudding. Teams want the outstanding LT to cover the blindside of their right handed QB. That is why in the draft they are so valuable, and of course, when they are so valuable some become overrated like we talked about with Trent Williams.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Did you not read?
I wasn't referencing McKinnie in a positive light. Favre got repeatedly punched in the mouth during that game & McKinnie is a big reason why. Peterson also couldn't get jack for yards around the left end.

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Peterson chokes in big games anyway.

Mooche

Reaction score
McKinnie is probably the most overrated LT in the league. Sorry AE, no dis on your Vikings, but that is complete trash. Every year he is talked about as some monster, (I know it was pre-season) but I saw James Harrison absolutely destroy him live.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I really dont think LT's are overrated. I remember back in the early 2000's when we had horrible teams and one of our primary concerns was the offensive line, specifically a LT that we needed for a long time. After we got David Diehl in that spot, we have had some very good success with him as our LT.

getyappcrnredy24

maybe god. live with soul, never die.
Reaction score
Yes they are overrated because Tashard Choice doesn't even need any Offensive Line at all. He'll still win MVP.

JoshHoward5

LONG LIVE THE CHARIOT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yes they are overrated because Tashard Choice doesn't even need any Offensive Line at all. He'll still win MVP.
He won't even get enough carries.

Also I think having an "elite" LT is overrated. It's much better to have a serviceable people in every spot on the line. LT is most likely the most important part on the line, but it's much more important to have a complete line then have a good LT.

werebarret

Reaction score
you don't need a stud left tackle, but there's nothing more important for the week to week success of an offense than to have an above-average left tackle. you can handle having someone that's going to get beat by the Dwight Freeney's and the Julius Peppers of the world, but an abysmal left tackle is something that you simply cannot overcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%