Anthony Davis or Andre Drummond?

Davis or Drummond

• Total voters

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just continuing on the discussion from the Top 5 Players in 5 years thread.

So..

Who do think has the potential to be the better player going forward, Anthony Davis or Andre Drummond? 

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Based on work ethic? Anthony Davis. There's no denying that Drummond coasted through UConn, and who's to say those habits don't return?

Based on physical potential at the 5 position? Absolutely Andre Drummond. He has the look of a player who can control the boards with relative ease, a player who can anchor an elite defense. He's raw offensively, but his athleticism is out of this world for his body type, so he's able to compensate.

I like both but I don't like Davis' situation as the NOLA's 5. He's better suited to the power forward position, imo, and I think New Orleans needs to look for an old school 5 to pair with him.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This thread would be more legit if we could inject some truth serum in it. This breaks it down well:

Skills are where the comparison is pretty unequal. Davis is a lock for the 2016 US Olympic squad, while Drummond is a low-tier US Select Team player, and the difference in skills is the reason. As Tjarks points out, Drummond is freakishly athletic, but Davis has an incredible array of defensive and offensive skills at his disposal. He can drive to the basket, run the pick and roll and the pick and pop, spot up from outside, and run in transition. On defense, he can guard three positions and is a fearsome weakside defender. He has excellent instincts and plays passing lanes extremely well.

Drummond's skills are far more limited. True, he's bigger and a better leaper, but he's extremely limited on offense. He's not a good ball-handler, one-dimensional in the pick-and-roll, and is completely unable to stretch the floor.

Drummond is incredibly one-dimensional on offense - he can dunk extremely well, but he's not above-average at anything else. On defense, he'll certainly be a great on-ball defender and has incredible athleticism, but I don't know if he has the instincts or awareness that Davis possesses.
Id also add that Davis shot a better percentage on his dunks, layups, and just in the paint oversll. This is at 50 lbs lighter as well. I mean its an extremely easy concept to grasp. Who here would take a 10 and 6 (def and off) over a 10 and 8, hypothetically of course. In what way does Drummond, who can't do anything outside of dunk and put back misses, out play Anthony Davis offensively who at just 19 can already do everything you want your PF to be able to do? You can't even play Drummond in clutch time because he couldn't make a free throw if his life depended on it.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
he coasted through uconn because he knew he was gonna get drafted top 10 anyway, lol. I do think Davis is much better now and will have the better career. I think Drummond has the ability to be more talented, but won't put in the effort necessary to reach that plateau. 

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Since coming to Detroit, he has shown nothing but effort.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
im not saying he won't be good, im just saying he won't put in enough effort to be better than Davis. 

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If he doesn't become better, I don't think it will be because of lack of effort.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It will be because he doesn't have the all-around skills that Anthony Davis has.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
King Rawky said:
I think its obvious. No need to further toot ADs horn haha
It should be obvious, but I think some people would still vote Drummond lol

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Grave diggin for self gratification

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Shocker that Rip voted for Drummond, eh?
Did it also shock you that Nola voted Davis? I don't understand the need for this post.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Love em both
But this thread, cmon

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
RipCity32 said:
Did it also shock you that Nola voted Davis? I don't understand the need for this post.

At least he picked the right answer though

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I just don't get how one could argue Drummond is better or is going to be better based on anything logical.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%