A White Sox fire sale could net how many top 100 prospects?

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
As much as I had hoped they could be contenders this year, I'm not holding my breath unless they add Mike Trout.  Ha.

The team clearly isnt "bad" and I could even argue its closer to contention than many think.  The only problem is the missing link is an elite middle of the order power hitter and those just don't grow on trees or become available.  Abreu and Frazier are very solid 4/5 hitters on contending teams, but im not sold on them being a 3/4 or even 2/3 in the order.

So the question I ask myself as I look at their roster that has quite a bit of talent on great, team friendly deals is how much would Chris Sale, Jose Abreu, Jose Quintana, Todd Frazier, David Robertson fetch on an extreme SELLERS market at the deadline?

Sale is under club control for another 3 years after 2016 and is a top 10 pitcher who is also a lefty.

Jose Quintana is under club control for another 4 years(!) after 2016 and only owed $40 million(!) or so.

Jose Abreu is under contract another 3 years after 2016 at $11.5 million per,

Todd Frazier is a free agent after 2017 but is once pace for 35 HR and gold glove defense at 3B.

David Robertson is signed for 2 more years after 2016 and is still a top 10 closer. 

I think Sale could bring in a top 10, 2 top 50, and a top 100 prospect, Quintana could bring in a top 25, a top 50, and a top 100 prospect, Abreu could bring in a top 25 and top 50 prospect 2, Frazier could bring in 2 top 50 prospects, and Robertson could bring in 2 top 100.    

equaling:

1 top 10
2 top 25
6 top 50
3 top 100

That could equal 12 highly rated prospects that could make the White Sox rebuild happen overnight.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Sale would get a shit ton.

Quintana would get a little less than a shit ton.

JohnnieDrama34

Reaction score
If the Nationals decided to put ALL their chips in the middle of the table this year...would Chris Sale to Washington for a package built around Lucas Giolito and Trea Turner be fair?

Senators26

Reaction score
Why would the White Sox Jose Abreu? Isn't he fairly young?

catman

Reaction score
Most of the Sox players are young and affordable.  Why not let them develop a bit longer before blowing the team up?

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
I tend to agree that what they need isn't readily available. Could instantly stack the farm

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You don't take on James Shields and then decide to set the clubhouse on fire a month later. The Chi Sox are gunning for the postseason.

brett05

Reaction score
The question isn't are they, it's what would they get if they did.  Some of you all.

Anyway, Sale and Q probably bring 4-5 each in the top 100.

Abreu is done as someone special.  He starts hitting later, and later in the season.  I think he brings in maybe a pick in the top 100 and a couple outside.
Robertson brings in zero.
Frazier brings in a spec or two.
So 10-12 guys.  But the top 100 now is pretty weak so I am not sure it rebuilds the team like the Cubs did when they have basically hit on every single spec.

catman

Reaction score
brett05 said:
The question isn't are they, it's what would they get if they did.  Some of you all.

Anyway, Sale and Q probably bring 4-5 each in the top 100.

Abreu is done as someone special.  He starts hitting later, and later in the season.  I think he brings in maybe a pick in the top 100 and a couple outside.
Robertson brings in zero.
Frazier brings in a spec or two.
So 10-12 guys.  But the top 100 now is pretty weak so I am not sure it rebuilds the team like the Cubs did when they have basically hit on every single spec.

Exactly.  Just having a bunch of kids that look good in the minors doesn't guarantee that they will perform well in the bigs. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jose Quintana is not bringing in 4-5 top 100 prospects

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
JohnnieDrama34 said:
Imagine Sale/Scherzer/Strasburg for the next 3 years.

Thats what they said about Halladay, Lee, and Hamels....

And how did that work out? 

brett05

Reaction score
elcheato said:
Jose Quintana is not bringing in 4-5 top 100 prospects
He easily could.  Since 2012 he's a top ten pitcher in baseball

brett05

Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:

Thats what they said about Halladay, Lee, and Hamels....

And how did that work out? 
True, but Sale in the NL goes straight to the level of Kershaw

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
LMFAO this is the greatest thread I have ever seen in my entire life.

This is the same Johnny that got banned for a few days for spamming CSS for creating countless threads laughing at the Cubs method of rebuilding, most notably after the Samardzija trade.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
You are unsold on Abreu? The same Abreu you have compared to Babe Ruth in the past?

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Wait a minute, didnt Johnnie create a post three weeks ago asking if the White Sox are contenders? And Johnnie proving why they are.

And three weeks later we are talking about a fire sale?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%