2017 NFL Gameday Thread

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
You know what, you guys are built to handle the transition away from Brees now. Let's say he plays 1-2 more seasons. Find his replacement in the meantime, and enjoy a defense that is only going to get better, and the evolution of Kamara as a featured back assuming that Ingram leaves at the first opportunity. Also, Michael Thomas is a stud. Nobody does what he did to X on that first TD. Nobody runs away from X like that.

This New Orleans team just needs to improve at the LB and DL positions and the defense could be a juggernaut. The offense is built really well now. The way this loss happened sucks but goddamn the future is bright. 

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Who are the Saints offensive tackles? Aside from one Griffin sack, they all but erased Griffin and Hunter. Perhaps lost in all the praise for the defense and the running backs, that Saints OL is fucking awesome. 

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:
Who are the Saints offensive tackles? Aside from one Griffin sack, they all but erased Griffin and Hunter. Perhaps lost in all the praise for the defense and the running backs, that Saints OL is fucking awesome. 
Terron Armstead and Ryan Ramczyk (best rookie OL)

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
It amazes me how 3 teams with nobody QBs are in Championship weekend but others struggle to build defenses around QBs like Rodgers, Brees, and Manning.

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
Although I feel really bad for him, I'm glad that I'm at least able to laugh at these Marcus Williams jokes. Unfortunately he's going to be getting a lot of hate directed toward him.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Delirium said:
Although I feel really bad for him, I'm glad that I'm at least able to laugh at these Marcus Williams jokes. Unfortunately he's going to be getting a lot of hate directed toward him.

You could just see him realizing he didn't want to get a DPI and as a result he froze and ducked. It's not like he didn't do everything right up until that point. I feel bad for him because the rules crippled his ability to make a decision at that point. I think this play will result in more guys just laying people out at the ends of games.

Marcus Williams is a great young player who will be one of the better safeties in the league for the foreseeable future. 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What do the Jags do with Bortles if they somehow win the Owl this year?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dump him, go after Alex Smith, and then find a QB to develop behind him

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
^next year when you're steamrolling the NFC along with Minnesota and LAR it'll be forgotten. Also, I think this is the start of a playoff rivalry for the coming years. Both teams are built for immediate AND future success. The only thing that can get in the way is injuries.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think you're underestimating how much turnover there is in the NFL from year to year. Usually, five or six playoff teams miss the playoffs the next year, and this year it was eight. Windows to win titles are tight and they close quickly, unless you're the Patriots, but I think that's why losing in the NFL playoffs hurts more, because there's no guarantee you're gonna be back.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I would be surprised if the Saints took a step back. We are not in danger of losing anyone, we have more cap then we have had in the last decade, and our team is young and will only get better. Not to mention this team was really hit by the injury bug and we get a lot of starters and rotation guys back

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
There is a lot of turnover. I shouldn't have included LAR in my assumption about who dominates the NFC, because they have way too many great players that are UFAs, but it will take injuries for either NO or  Minnesota to fall off the map, and both can focus on defined positions in the upcoming draft. NO--DL and LB, Minny--LB Depth and Interior OL.

Quick note: I really like Laquon Treadwell, and if it wasn't for Adam Thielen I think he'd be a really good player, but he just can't get snaps. What kills me is that we could have drafted Myles Jack instead. Imagine Barr, Kendricks, and Jack on this defense. 3 sideline to sideline linebackers. Man oh man. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That's twice in I believe the last five years that the Saints lost in the divisional round on some unthought of finish and sent them home rather than being the favorites in the NFCCG. I think it was 2012 when San Fran and Alex Smith went the length of the field with like 40 seconds and no timeouts thanks to the Saints allowing a 50 yard completion to Vernon Davis in prevent defense. They would have played the NFCCG at home and been favored over the Giants. Then of course yesterday.

Only thing I can think of that compares is convenient since I'm an LSU fan, but Warren Morris's walk off in the 98 College World Series. If you're Miami you have two outs in the ninth, down to the nine hole hitter, and the wind is screaming in from right field against a left handed hitter who had been out the majority of the season. He ends up hitting a bomb and hitting it straight enough where it goes through the wind and just gets over the fence. Aside from like some lateral play to end the game that's the most improbable thing I can think of.

Delirium

Super Legend
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Only thing I can think of that compares is convenient since I'm an LSU fan
You know what really sucks? How similar that play last night was to how LSU lost the Citrus Bowl this year. Wtf

But yeah I woke up today after sleeping well, and felt good. Until I immediately remembered what happened last night.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
I think 2012 should sting more because you were probably better than both SF and NYG. While you're undoubtedly better than Philly-without-Wentz this year (as is Minnesota--no excuses if they lose), I truly do believe that the Vikings and Saints yesterday were about as close as 2 teams could possibly be. Each had bad halves and a freak play decided the game. These teams were so unbelievably equal.

I am extremely angry that it got to 24-23 in the first place, and whether Keenum fans want to hear it, it was because Case served it up on a silver platter by taking a horrible sack out of field goal range after hanging on to the ball for a fucking eternity on the first possession of the second half, and then on the next possession he throws that horrible interception. Case Keenum lost that game for Minnesota. The defense did the best it could in the second half. Drew Brees was masterful taking advantage of Thomas vs. Emotionally out of control Rhodes on TD1, Thomas vs. Grandpa Newman on TD2, Kamara vs. Kendricks on TD3, and then perhaps the best play of Drew's day, finding our 4th CB on 4th and 10 and hitting Snead for a first down. MacKenzie Alexander shit his pants yesterday--dude looked so scared out there. And let's also note that Brees didn't panic on that drive when Rhodes stood tall against Thomas on multiple pass attempts. He calmly hit Snead and Hill in big spots to give life to that drive.

I am thrilled by yesterday's finish but am also twice as angry that the choking of several players necessitated it. Fuck Keenum and Alexander for their inexcusable second half play. Shame on Rhodes for not staying in the moment after a completely unintentional hit hurt Sendejo. I understand being angry but he got out of character and Thomas burned him for that TD.

Let's be real here, Brees bailed out NO on multiple occasions yesterday, and Thielen/Diggs bailed out Keenum on multiple occasions yesterday. Great players stood tall yesterday and that was the most obvious beauty of that game.

I also want to mention the New Orleans OTs again. Griffin and Hunter were relatively invisible save for two great Griffin plays in the sack and deflected pass Barr INT. In the second half I don't think either Griffin or Hunter even breathed on Brees

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
holy shit
i forgot about this from last year until someone brought it back up on reddit

in matt ryan's career, every team that beats him in the playoffs has made the super bowl.

if philly wins this sunday, that streak continues

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
My favorite stat for this game is that no dome team has ever won a championship game outside, so the Eagles loss this week will literally be unprecedented.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Jets fired their OC John Morton, which just seems idiotic considering how much their offense overachieved this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%