2017 MLB Postseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachAF

Reaction score
The difference in this ALCS is defense. The Astros have had it, and the Yankees have not. Marwin and Correa/Reddick have saved 3 runs with their throws. Meanwhile, Judge cant catch a ball barely above the wall or hit a cut-off man in the 9th. Sanchez can't catch the ball at home plate. It's the little things that count. Coming into this series, I really felt like the difference in pitching and hitting were pretty narrow with both teams, but that the Astros defense was a clear advantage. It's panning out that way. Now on to a frigid New York (high of 59 and 58 in the next two games) where we look to steal one or two. Go Astros!! #EarnedIt #EarnHistory

catman

Reaction score
Had Starlin Castro made the play he needed to, it might have been different.  Judge had no idea where to throw the ball, as no one was signaling to him.  Castro needed to go out, wave his hands and yell "Cut, Cut, Cut" and received the throw.  Didi had no way to make a good throw, as his momentum took him directly into Corea at 2B (by the way, there was no interference there, as Corea was standing on 2B which he had every right to do).  His throw was a really tough one for a catcher to handle and I do not fault Sanchez for not making the play.  Yadi might have made that play, but Sanchez is not Yadi.
The Astros have gotten some really good pitching this post-season.

catman

Reaction score
In the NL, we are seeing that Cody Bellinger can play a little bit at 1B.  I haven't checked Adrian Gonzalez' contract status, but he may have played his last regular season game in an LA uniform.  The Dodgers looked pretty good without Seager, but they miss him a lot.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
.ptt81 said:
Sanchez was 100% the reason the yankees lost. Altuve was out by a mile.
but his rocket arm doe

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
catman said:
Had Starlin Castro made the play he needed to, it might have been different.  Judge had no idea where to throw the ball, as no one was signaling to him.  Castro needed to go out, wave his hands and yell "Cut, Cut, Cut" and received the throw.  Didi had no way to make a good throw, as his momentum took him directly into Corea at 2B (by the way, there was no interference there, as Corea was standing on 2B which he had every right to do).  His throw was a really tough one for a catcher to handle and I do not fault Sanchez for not making the play.  Yadi might have made that play, but Sanchez is not Yadi.

Idk, seems pretty clear where Judge is supposed to throw the ball.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
catman said:
In the NL, we are seeing that Cody Bellinger can play a little bit at 1B.  I haven't checked Adrian Gonzalez' contract status, but he may have played his last regular season game in an LA uniform.  The Dodgers looked pretty good without Seager, but they miss him a lot.
next year is his last contract year

Was on track to make the playoff roster. His last game he had a double and a homer. Next morning his back locked up and he shut himself down for the year. Less than a month ago

CoachAF

Reaction score
catman said:

disagree there. This is a pretty standard play. Correa making it to second is the least of concerns. The runner that was on first is the priority since he was the winning run. Therefore, you hit the cut-off man and let him decide where to go with the ball. 

and weird angle or not, the catcher needs to come up with that ball. It wasn't an easy one to corral, but they had Altuve by a mile. You need to catch the ball. 

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Mexi said:
Almora homer
This is beautiful

Thank you adam silver for bumping up the nba season 2 weeks
Your are the worst sports fan lol. So pessimistic about everything.

Did you see the Cubs pen this year? It doesn't matter who is batting, just tell them not to swing and they'll walk em around the bases. I was surprised they beat the Nats tbh. Unless the starters going 7+ IP 4 times, the Cubs aren't winning this series.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jon Lester
Sucks all year
Was nails vs Washington somehow

Will be good tonight and save the pen.

I expect a close game but ultimately a cubs win. Rich Hill always has that one inning

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Did you see the Cubs pen this year? It doesn't matter who is batting, just tell them not to swing and they'll walk em around the bases. I was surprised they beat the Nats tbh. Unless the starters going 7+ IP 4 times, the Cubs aren't winning this series.
"the worst fan is pessimistic

Now allow me to be pessimistic..."

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:
Have you heard me rant before?

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Mexi said:
"the worst fan is pessimistic

Now allow me to be pessimistic..."

You always say stuff like that and when they win you will talk about how they were the best team all year

PWNdroia said:
Have you heard me rant before?
Yes. I have told me he is worse than Pwn at some point in the past but I can't remember what it was he said

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
And saying the Cubs bullpen is bad is not me being pessimistic. It's a fact.

They have a 7+ ERA thru 6 postseason games so far.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
JZsportswhiz said:

You always say stuff like that and when they win you will talk about how they were the best team all year

To be fair I think most fans do that.

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
The fact that John Lackey is on the postseason roster tells you everything about the state of the Cubs bullpen. You can't win without a pen in October, that's the difference between these teams. Dodgers have multiple shutdown arms that can go multiple innings. The Cubs have 1 shutdown guy who can go 1 inning and a group of guys with command issues.

Nobody I'd rather have than Hendricks with the season on the line. Need to win the first two in Chicago. Good thing they won it all last year.

catman

Reaction score
Coach said:

disagree there. This is a pretty standard play. Correa making it to second is the least of concerns. The runner that was on first is the priority since he was the winning run. Therefore, you hit the cut-off man and let him decide where to go with the ball. 

and weird angle or not, the catcher needs to come up with that ball. It wasn't an easy one to corral, but they had Altuve by a mile. You need to catch the ball. 
Judge did not make a good throw, and Castro did not do a good job of presenting himself as the cutoff man.  Had he gone to 2B and let 
Didi (with a much better arm) go out into the outfield to cut the ball, they should have had a better chance to get Altuve at home.  

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%