2016 NBA Offseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
It's not pointless given that team has been a good SF away from having the best roster in the league for two years now

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
It's not pointless given that team has been a good SF away from having the best roster in the league for two years now
They can't realistically get Durant without trading away Blake Griffin, though.

Technically if OKC agrees to a S&T deal that would get them one of Jeff Green, Jamal Crawford, or Austin Rivers at a minimum $32M // 3yr deal, then they can. But that's contingent on both Oklahoma City and that player agreeing to that as well.

And in the case that Oklahoma City doesn't want to give Green or Rivers $32M, is Paul / Redick / MLE PF / Jordan a better situation than Westbrook / Oladipo / Kanter / Adams?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
clippers arent gonna get any better. maybe parsons? whats his max? they should try for it maybe. theyre just delaying the inevitable

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Heard something pretty interesting today, the example that was used was the Celtics.  A lot of teams try to shy away from "overloading" positions because they feel like it hurts the value of certain guys.  The basic thinking is the more minutes a guy is getting, a better chance to showcase that guy, a better chance for better numbers, and as a result other teams may value that guy.  Teams also look at is as the more you need a certain player of a certain "position" or skillset, the more a team is willing to give for him and vice versa.  Basically GM's look at a team like Boston and are willing to offer less for their players (or assets as Boston calls them) than they normally would in a vacuum because they know Boston has a lot of depth and wants to unload some of those guys.  Essentially if you look like you don't need or want to unload a guy, you may get better offers.  It makes a lot of sense actually.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i figured that was common knowledge

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Grizzlies declined Stephenson's option.

Is it too much to ask for a team with JR and Lance? 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
wizards will focus on ryan anderson since they missed out on durant

Swelly34

Xaphoon
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Heard something pretty interesting today, the example that was used was the Celtics.  A lot of teams try to shy away from "overloading" positions because they feel like it hurts the value of certain guys.  The basic thinking is the more minutes a guy is getting, a better chance to showcase that guy, a better chance for better numbers, and as a result other teams may value that guy.  Teams also look at is as the more you need a certain player of a certain "position" or skillset, the more a team is willing to give for him and vice versa.  Basically GM's look at a team like Boston and are willing to offer less for their players (or assets as Boston calls them) than they normally would in a vacuum because they know Boston has a lot of depth and wants to unload some of those guys.  Essentially if you look like you don't need or want to unload a guy, you may get better offers.  It makes a lot of sense actually.
I think that's what ultimately led to Ainge selecting a player they could really use like Brown instead of taking Dunn and waiting for the right offer to come around. Other teams could have low balled them on any Dunn offer because everyone would have known they HAD to move Dunn. Now with Brown, you can keep him because there is a need for size on the perimeter or you can dangle him for a potential Cousins trade with the knowledge that you don't HAVE to include him if the offer isn't right.

Swelly34

Xaphoon
Reaction score
Also, it's a few pages back but I don't see how anyone can realistically say Miami is a better option than Boston for KD. There's this odd assumption that Wade can play at an elite level for another 3-4 years when we've already seen a steep decline. On top of that:

- Bosh may never play again
- Whiteside could be gone (and he should be if the Warriors offer him max)
- Dragic is overpaid and struggled for much of last year until a few quality playoff games
- Joe Johnson and Luol Deng are shells of their former selves
- Tyler Johnson and Josh Richardson haven't had anywhere near enough of a sample size to prove they can be quality players in this league

I will give the Heat credit in that Justise Winslow will be a stud but he's a few years away from peak production offensively.

Meanwhile, Boston has a 27 year old all star in IT, arguably two of the best perimeter defenders in the league nearing or in their prime in Bradley and Crowder and enough draft assets and young pieces to lead another team to move another star to play alongside eventually. To be clear, even as a Celtics fan, I don't think he'll come here but if the choice was Miami or Boston, I don't think it would be that hard.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
knicks will reportedly target noah, and whiteside says no state income tax may play a factor into decision
I've wanted Jo-No for years..

Use the 30mil we have on him + Jamal + 3D Wing + resign Galloway, Williams, and maybe Thomas and Seraphin..

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
idk if id want him for what he may command or at least get offered.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I feel you.. Especially if Washington's offering the max..

But I like the fact he's from NY and of course Rose is there now.. Plus I don't see him folding when shit is tight like Dwight would on a night were down 20.. Or after the media ripped him hat morning ..

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
mike brown has exchanged texas with steve kerr 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
A week ago i was at the nba store in NY
2017 Charlotte ASG hats were in the clearance section....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%