2016 NBA Draft discussion thread

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I know y'all are sick of me posting about Jaylen Brown, but someone posted a really interesting interview from one of the coaches on the Cal coaching staff. Here were some of the more important parts

• Last season, Cal operated their game plan with slow tempo, strict set plays. Brown is a guy who thinks too much, and lose focus in set play situation. He will play a lot better in free flowing game, a little bit of freedom given in loose cast. Celtics are emphasizing their style, Pace & Space, since Brad Stevens took charge, and they are top third in game pace. This is ideal situation for Brown.

• I heard NBA teams saw his defensive potential in him. Long, fast, and strong man who could be a lock down defender in the league. I think he can defend PF in small line up teams. He is very competitive guy even in practice. The team defense... is abysmal. HAHA. Funny thing is, Brown thinks too much. He is very intelligent guy. He is so intelligent that he even attended to graduate school lectures. But I think it has side effects on the floor. He thinks so much on defensive formation and ball movement that he sometimes misses his opponent. This makes his coach crazy. People say he is not focusing on defense, but I think he is focusing but just thinks too much.

• He did not play well in last month including tournaments ... I personally think it was because of the match against Arizona at may 3rd. The whole Arizona players were flopping whenever Brown tried to slash. Brown is strong guy, and loves to move in straight line. Arizona was trying to get offensive foul calls. He actually did 3 offensive fouls in a game. After that day, Brown did not try to penetrate as he did before. He cared too much about offensive foul calls to try brute penetration again. I told you before. He thinks too much. HAHA. Before Arizona game, brown averaged 15.8 pts and 2.9 fouls per game in 29 matches. But after Arizona game, he averaged 7.8 pts and 4 fouls per game in last 5 matches. FG% dropped from 46% to 21%. This is not a normal number.

He seems like a lot like Marcus Smart to me, in terms of his consistency. He'll overthink situations at times, and get burned because of it. But he shows crazy potential to be a star, like in this clip

https://youtu.be/v551L3W5Mgc?t=42s

He will just probably not be consistent enough to be that star

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You say Smart, but that dude sounds so much like Tyreke. Everything from the thinking to much, to the free flowing offense, to the physical tools defensively but the god awful off the ball defense. He's exactly like a bigger more athletic Tyreke.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The set play thing should be INCREDIBLY concerning, btw.

And I don't know if anyone saw it, but Thon Maker could be as old as 23 lol

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
You say Smart, but that dude sounds so much like Tyreke. Everything from the thinking to much, to the free flowing offense, to the physical tools defensively but the god awful off the ball defense. He's exactly like a bigger more athletic Tyreke.
Weren't you arguing last year how good Evans was defensively?

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I was arguing that he's very good on ball, which he is, but god awful off ball. I was probably arguing how could he could be if Erman could work with him but that never happened.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:
Not an awful comp. I really liked 'Reke out of Memphis; I just thought he underperformed in the NBA for what he could have been

nolafan33 said:
And yes, it actually is for me a bit. Boston's normal offense is very flowing and allows for a ton of freelanced movement, but Brad Stevens is one of the best coaches in the league at designing ATO plays. And I hope Brown would be able to hold true to those plays. But the Celtics offense is so different from Cal's

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
if marcus smart becomes good i'm never going to live this down. might have to leave SI 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nolafan33 said:

And I don't know if anyone saw it, but Thon Maker could be as old as 23 lol
he looks like hes that old. no way hes only 18

HitmanCapone

Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
I know y'all are sick of me posting about Jaylen Brown, but someone posted a really interesting interview from one of the coaches on the Cal coaching staff. Here were some of the more important parts

• Last season, Cal operated their game plan with slow tempo, strict set plays. Brown is a guy who thinks too much, and lose focus in set play situation. He will play a lot better in free flowing game, a little bit of freedom given in loose cast. Celtics are emphasizing their style, Pace & Space, since Brad Stevens took charge, and they are top third in game pace. This is ideal situation for Brown.

• I heard NBA teams saw his defensive potential in him. Long, fast, and strong man who could be a lock down defender in the league. I think he can defend PF in small line up teams. He is very competitive guy even in practice. The team defense... is abysmal. HAHA. Funny thing is, Brown thinks too much. He is very intelligent guy. He is so intelligent that he even attended to graduate school lectures. But I think it has side effects on the floor. He thinks so much on defensive formation and ball movement that he sometimes misses his opponent. This makes his coach crazy. People say he is not focusing on defense, but I think he is focusing but just thinks too much.

• He did not play well in last month including tournaments ... I personally think it was because of the match against Arizona at may 3rd. The whole Arizona players were flopping whenever Brown tried to slash. Brown is strong guy, and loves to move in straight line. Arizona was trying to get offensive foul calls. He actually did 3 offensive fouls in a game. After that day, Brown did not try to penetrate as he did before. He cared too much about offensive foul calls to try brute penetration again. I told you before. He thinks too much. HAHA. Before Arizona game, brown averaged 15.8 pts and 2.9 fouls per game in 29 matches. But after Arizona game, he averaged 7.8 pts and 4 fouls per game in last 5 matches. FG% dropped from 46% to 21%. This is not a normal number.

He seems like a lot like Marcus Smart to me, in terms of his consistency. He'll overthink situations at times, and get burned because of it. But he shows crazy potential to be a star, like in this clip

https://youtu.be/v551L3W5Mgc?t=42s

He will just probably not be consistent enough to be that star
Are you actually excited that the Celtics took Brown 3rd overall?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He ejaculated at least three times during draft night

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yes lol

I've wanted Jaylen Brown with the 3rd pick since May. He was the first guy I wanted to draft with the selection (after the lottery occurred I wanted to trade it for a future pick, but the first player I wanted if there wasn't a trade was Jaylen)

What I don't get is the negative media he's given. The general idea of taking someone 3rd is to take the player with the highest potential. Brown definitely has the highest potential among those taken after the top 2; it just might not translate to the pros

But I was ecstatic we took Brown.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd still say he has the best physical gifts after the top 2, but as far as actual basketball skill potential there are a few guys who have him beat.

Stray32

Reaction score
Was crazy busy last week finishing up in MO then moving back to MI so I know this is late but just my two cents given how it seems every Pistons fan disliked the pick (granted I'd have liked Deyonta Davis more even though he's more of a project):

Ellenson is and will probably always be weak defensively because he has no lateral quickness and isn't a rim protector. But he's a 7-footer who can shoot to fill SVG's Ryan Anderson role, and he also can drive on aggressive close-outs and may even be able to be the ballhandler in an Ellenson-Drummond pick and roll every now and then. My guess is he'll provide 10-15 minutes of offense off the bench and turn into a guy who gives us 20-25 minutes at backup PF next to Andre or C when he comes out

Hurricane Season said:
He's starving to death, somebody get him a god damn hot dog.
oldish bump since I was so busy, but you missed a golden opportunity to quote 8 mile

"this guys starving to death, someone get him a biscuit"

Mexi said:
Woj has draftexpress guys as his analysts
Hes kicking ESPN 's ass
yeah the head of DraftExpress also works for The Vertical, there's a lot of overlap in their work, just one more reason they're skyrocketing ahead of ESPN in draft coverage

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%