2015 NFL Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Actually, he wasn't. Teams use different balls, though both are supposedly checked pre-game. In the Super Bowl, however, I think they all use the same ones.

BostonByAir

Reaction score
Interesting... I was under the impression that the home team supplied footballs for both teams to use. 

They did a split test on Mike and Mike this morning and neither Golic nor Greeney could feel a difference. That said, I'm sure someone who throws them for a living could.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
idk if they use the same ones in the Super Bowl. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/sports/football/eli-mannings-footballs-are-months-in-making.html

For every N.F.L. game, each team has 12 to 20 balls that it has meticulously groomed and prepared according to the needs of its starting quarterback. The balls, brushed and primed using various obvious and semisecret techniques, bear the team logo and are switched out from sideline to sideline depending on which team is on offense.

In all, there are always about 36 specially marked Eli Manning balls sequestered and protected in four large ball bags. If a coach looking for a ball at practice should unwittingly approach one of the bags, the team’s equipment director, Joe Skiba, will pounce: “Get away, those are Eli’s game balls.”

Skiba added: “No one is allowed to touch those balls. They’re precious jewels. Too much work has gone into them.”

In the case of the Giants, preparing the game balls used from September to December begins in summer training camp.

The Giants will start with six to seven dozen new footballs. Sorting through them, Skiba and his brother, Ed, the assistant equipment director, will give each ball a once-over.

“I’ll know as soon as I pick up a ball whether it could be a ball that Eli might like some day or whether it’s a ball he’ll never like,” Ed Skiba said.

The Skibas explained the Giants’ procedure.

■ The new ball is rubbed vigorously for 45 minutes with a dark brush, which removes the wax and darkens the leather.

■ Next, a wet towel is used to scour the ball until the ball’s outer surface is soaked through.

“You’re not done until the ball is waterlogged and water will no longer bead on it,” Ed Skiba said.

■ While the ball is wet, it is brushed again.

■ Then the ball is taken over to an electric spin wheel, where it undergoes another high-speed scrubbing.

At this point, the ball is put aside overnight. Then the process is repeated twice over the next couple of days.

These guys are FUCKING PSYCHOTIC when it comes to their Footballs. 

BostonByAir

Reaction score
That shit is legal but a slightly under-inflated ball is this big of an issue? Just saw on the SI Twitter feed that Brad Johnson paid a ball boy to deflate balls prior to the Super Bowl. #everyonedoesit 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pardon me ball boy, but do you deflate balls?

Relax,  you didn't even let me finish.

Do you deflate these balls?

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The more people say it's a non-issue, the more it becomes one. If we just stopped talking about it, wouldn't it really be a non-issue? Then again, of course I'd say that. I'm a fan of the Patriots*

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
BostonByAir said:
That shit is legal but a slightly under-inflated ball is this big of an issue? Just saw on the SI Twitter feed that Brad Johnson paid a ball boy to deflate balls prior to the Super Bowl. #everyonedoesit 

It's legal because QBs used to HATE the grip on the footballs when they were provided by the league and not the teams. 

But the air pressure is easier to regulate because they have tools you can find at any SA, Dicks, or Modells or w/e to gauge the pressure. So there's a rule in place to regulate what the pressure is for all the balls. 

And based on what Brad Johnson said I think you guys were right, they don't provide their own balls for the Super Bowl. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
just a little bit of squeezing, oh yea, right there

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I think some people are taking this too far. That asshole Wilbon was saying last night they should forfeit the Super Bowl. I mean come on, that'll never happen. Too much money lost. Not to mention it's an absurd suggestion. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lmao dock them a pick and move on.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Patriots maneuver draft picks so well that they actually managed to directly trade one for a goddamn super bowl.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
The refs found out of the deflation at half time, and re-pumped them up

Brady's stats post halftime were SIGNIFICANTLY better than in the 1st

All this controversy would not be happening if it weren't the Patriots doing it

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
The refs found out of the deflation at half time, and re-pumped them up

Brady's stats post halftime were SIGNIFICANTLY better than in the 1st

All this controversy would not be happening if it weren't the Patriots doing it
Just embrace that the Patriots are the NFL version of Los Guerreros, and celebrate it. They were over as fuck. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Just embrace that the Patriots are the NFL version of Los Guerreros, and celebrate it. They were over as fuck. 
WE LIE, WE CHEAT, WE STEAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%