2014 NFL Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Evidently the Bengals are still on vacation, they have been ever since the playoffs started. Approaching 30 mil in cap space and we haven't signed one free agent. Well, we did give Marvin an extension...

TTN2810

Reaction score
Mobruler said:
Yeah but New Englands use of the 4-3 is an outlier, most teams don't deviate from their base package like that. A team that runs base 4-3 isn't going to sign Wilfork to be a full time 4-3 DT, especially with him becoming an older player.
Why not? He can play 4-3 NT. I agree he's getting old and coming off an injury, it better be cheap. I'd take him 4-3 though, no scheme issues for me.

And Bosox, Clowney could def play 3-4 end, bro. Like Cheato (I think was the one who said it) said, just because he hasn't doesn't mean he can't.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/444887365635436544

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/444887787871801344

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/444887898513354752

https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/444888406183530496

VikesRule

Reaction score
I'm happy with what the Vikings have done for Free Agency. Still would like to get depth at linebacker and cornerback in the draft (and obviously a QB at some point).

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Average would a little bit more than his floor.

Browns have a better line than Houston, depending on the draft goes, better weapons, and a better QB

Anyway, average is a fairly significant upgrade from steaming pile of shit.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Tate is a good back, man. Well above average, IMO.

Apparently before he signed with the Broncos Emmanuel Sanders verbally agreed with the Chiefs lolol. Chiefs are pissed.

NFL.com
Emmanuel Sanders is expected to sign with the Broncos tomorrow, but the process that led him there left the other teams involved fuming and crying foul. One team official claimed Sanders' agent broke "every rule in negotiations."

Agent Steve Weinberg, on behalf of the receiver, accepted a deal with the Chiefs in principle, according to one team source. Weinberg then engaged in negotiations with the Tampa Bay Bucs, according to another source involved in the process.

While shopping the Chiefs offer to the Bucs, Weinberg never explained that he had already accepted the terms of Kansas City's offer. Later in the night, Sanders' agent had agreed to terms with theBroncos, which is where he is currently headed. Sanders and Weinberg also rankled the 49ers by agreeing to visit, then blowing it off.

"This was one of the worst situations in modern football negotiations," one executive involved said. "Totally wrong. This needs to be stopped."

Reached at his home late Saturday, Weinberg declined to comment on the record when informed of the allegations.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Golden Tate said:
 I'm going to earn in one year at Detroit what Seattle was going to pay me for two years. Seattle offered numbers that were laughable.

Seattle had it right, $3 million +/- a year is what he's worth. Smart of them to let him walk and not overpay, they know him better than anyone. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i thought we went over how tate should have s much better chance to succeed in pass happy detroit?

TTN2810

Reaction score
Anyone will have more success in a pass happy offense playing opposite Calvin. It's not about stats, it's about value. Like I said in the other thread, there's 10-12 WR's in the draft better than Tate and about 6-8 of them will be available at 45. The Lions would only have to pay that guy $1M a year rather than Tate $6M. Then the Lions could have went after a position that isn't stacked in the draft in FA and spend that money meaningfully. 

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
yadda yadda yadda

if he provides help and does improve us and his own stats, hes worth it.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You can't just assume that a rookie is going to be better than a proven NFL player.  Let alone 12 of them.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
yadda yadda yadda

if he provides help and does improve us and his own stats, hes worth it.
You don't need to pay $6M for that. It's ridiculous. Especially with Calvin there. Use the money on something that will help.

TTN2810

Reaction score
Pepe Silvia said:
You can't just assume that a rookie is going to be better than a proven NFL player.  Let alone 12 of them.
What has he proven? That he can be a supporting WR with other supporting WR's? He never was a #1 WR in Seattle. I get they didn't pass a lot, but if they wanted the ball in his hands, it would have been there. 

Perhaps the rookies may not be better this year, perhaps they will, but either way I'm looking at the course of the 5 year deal Tate got. He may be better for 1 or 2 of those years. And by the time his contract is done, both he and Calvin will be in their 30's. If they had instead drafted one of these guys they'd have a true #1 waiting in the wings. This WR draft is rare, and whoever doesn't take advantage of it is stupid. And overpaying for an average WR right before this draft is even stupider. I'm not debating he won't put up big stats. Because he probably will. But I'd rather have my big bodied young WR, because god knows theirs tons of them in this draft, learning from the best of the best to develop into him someday than a guy who every team has at least one of. Or hell just get a better version of Golden Tate if you want that style, which is also there.

I'm not trying to shit on the parade for all you Lions fans. I'm just stating my opinion, and I really don't care if anyone agrees with it. 

And perhaps not all 12 WR's will be boom picks, Jake, but I'm willing to bet at least 8 will. I'd take my chances with that.

FYI I think the Titans had a shitty free agency period too. I'm just being objective here.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TiTAN said:
What has he proven? That he can be a supporting WR with other supporting WR's? He never was a #1 WR in Seattle. I get they didn't pass a lot, but if they wanted the ball in his hands, it would have been there. 

Perhaps the rookies may not be better this year, perhaps they will, but either way I'm looking at the course of the 5 year deal Tate got. He may be better for 1 or 2 of those years. And by the time his contract is done, both he and Calvin will be in their 30's. If they had instead drafted one of these guys they'd have a true #1 waiting in the wings. This WR draft is rare, and whoever doesn't take advantage of it is stupid. And overpaying for an average WR right before this draft is even stupider. I'm not debating he won't put up big stats. Because he probably will. But I'd rather have my big bodied young WR, because god knows theirs tons of them in this draft, learning from the best of the best to develop into him someday than a guy who every team has at least one of. Or hell just get a better version of Golden Tate if you want that style, which is also there.

I'm not trying to shit on the parade for all you Lions fans. I'm just stating my opinion, and I really don't care if anyone agrees with it. 

And perhaps not all 12 WR's will be boom picks, Jake, but I'm willing to bet at least 8 will. I'd take my chances with that.

FYI I think the Titans had a shitty free agency period too. I'm just being objective here.

He's proven that he can produce at the NFL level.  He's not a 1200 and 10 receiver, sure, but he did put up 900 in a run heavy offense with a balanced passing game.

Drafting for potential has gotten quite a few people fired in Detroit over the years... especially at the receiver position.  You don't know for sure if some of these guys have what it takes to produce against NFL secondaries.  Why not go for the guy that you know can do it, and focus on more pressing needs in the draft? (DEFENSIVE BACK, DETROIT)  Plus, Tate is only 25, so it's not like he's on the back end of his prime.

Signing Tate doesn't necessarily mean that they can't go receiver in the draft, though.  They could still use another one.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I think people automatically assume the run heavy offense hurt him when in reality it did him just as many favors; as did Wilson. 

And I get not wanting to draft for potential. I'm not saying go out and take a Martavis Bryant, I'm saying go out and get a Jarvis Landry/Allen Robinson/Davante Adams/Jordan Matthews. These guys are polished receivers, much more substance than potential. All 4 of those guys are, if not future #1 WRs, premier #2s ala Anquan Boldin. 

Id take any of those guys + DRC for exampe in FA than Tate + Gilbert/Dennard/whoever they like at CB.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
TiTAN said:
You don't need to pay $6M for that. It's ridiculous. Especially with Calvin there. Use the money on something that will help.
titan, we get it, you have a boner for unproven rookies, but youre treating this like tate is a guy who has never amounted to anything and won't improve. he will. hes still young. we signed a guy of need, and can still draft for need, and still be improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%