2014 NFL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I feel this needs to be said prior to the draft, so everyone listen:

Don't be a shitlord.  If you feel like spoiling yourself by following the assholes on twitter, don't post the pick in this thread before it's announced and spoil it for everyone else.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Pepe Silvia said:
I don't think he's on a Julio/Green level, but he's close to being an elite receiver prospect.
Going to school in South Carolina, I've seen plenty of him and I think he's overrated. He's not a bad WR by any means but he shouldn't be picked as high as he will be. I'd take Evans over him and I might also take Beckham over him.

There's some players that just get way overblown come draft time. Stephon Gilmore was another one and he went to Carolina. Most Carolina fans hated Gilmore because he got burned so often, but he was what a top 10 pick? I'm rambling, but trust me.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Might just be me consistently not liking the #1 WR in a draft every year, but I see nothing that differentiates Beckham and Watkins really. I'd take Cooks over both of them though. He's so explosive, and has great awareness. Steve Smith 2.0

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
Watkins was at Clemson
Obviously haha. Clemson is located in South Carolina, and they're big rivals. My roommates watch most of the Clemson games to root for them to lose

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Watkins has it all, man.  Silky smooth routes, ridiculous hands, elusiveness, top end speed, everything.  The only thing he lacks is size, but it doesn't even really hurt him.  If they didn't keep track of player heights, you'd honestly believe he was 6'4+.  He has tremendous ball skills.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't compare him to Julio, though.  I'd say rich mans Pierre Garcon meets Stevie Johnson.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Obviously haha. Clemson is located in South Carolina, and they're big rivals. My roommates watch most of the Clemson games to root for them to lose
I know that, I thought you meant SCAR since you mentioned Gilmore too

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Derek Carr was 11 years old when David Carr was drafted... Has it really been that long?

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Pepe Silvia said:
Watkins has it all, man.  Silky smooth routes, ridiculous hands, elusiveness, top end speed, everything.  The only thing he lacks is size, but it doesn't even really hurt him.  If they didn't keep track of player heights, you'd honestly believe he was 6'4+.  He has tremendous ball skills.
Is he really getting labeled with "ridiculous hands"? I remember him dropping passes all the time. A couple years back against SC he dropped like two easy touchdowns.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
I know that, I thought you meant SCAR since you mentioned Gilmore too
No it was just another example

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
His size does hurt him though. I just quickly watched tape on Watkins: nobody played press on him! I find that absolutely astonishing. When teams played 10 yards off, he ran screens. When teams played 6 yards off, he ran slants. When 3 yards off, he ran corner and fade routes. But nobody pressed him, and that blows my mind. In the NFL, unless he's just a Victor Cruz slot guy, he won't be nearly as good. Put on press coverage and have a high safety and he's done.

That being said, he's a perfect fit as a slot receiver, especially for Detroit. But he's more of a #2 Cruz/#3 WR for me than a #1

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Every receiver has some bad drops from time to time.  What I meant though, is that he doesn't catch with his body.  You'll almost always see him pluck the ball out of the air, and he's capable of making incredible catches in the most awkward body angles.  Passes thrown behind him on crossers, balls at his ankles, overthrown balls, his hands are very impressive.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Just some comparisons:

Manziel- lesser version of McNair
Bridgewater- Alex Smith
Bortles- more mobile Kyle Orton
Watkins- Victor Cruz
Fuller- Devin McCourty

I'll think of more later

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
bosoxlover12 said:
His size does hurt him though. I just quickly watched tape on Watkins: nobody played press on him! I find that absolutely astonishing. When teams played 10 yards off, he ran screens. When teams played 6 yards off, he ran slants. When 3 yards off, he ran corner and fade routes. But nobody pressed him, and that blows my mind. In the NFL, unless he's just a Victor Cruz slot guy, he won't be nearly as good. Put on press coverage and have a high safety and he's done.

That being said, he's a perfect fit as a slot receiver, especially for Detroit. But he's more of a #2 Cruz/#3 WR for me than a #1

You rarely see press coverage in college football on a consistent basis.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Mike Evans can create separation at the next level without pushing off... but Dez Bryant seems to get away with it all the time, so who knows?

TTN2810

Reaction score
Agree with almost everything Jake has said in here.

For me, the WR's go
Watkins > ODB > Evans > Cooks.

I honestly can't believe that people don't like Watkins though! Even at 6'1, he can go up and get the ball as good as anyone. Getting pressed won't be an issue either, he's really strong. Just look at the way he runs. If he isn't wrapped up he isn't going down. Plus he has shown moves to get passed defenders getting physical with him.

Like I said, I think he's better than Julio and AJ, TBH. He can do everything they do but more, IMO.

But we all see players differently.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Keep in mind the ACC isn't really the strongest football conference in America, and that's coming from a Duke fan.

He never really made an impact against South Carolina in the three years he played so that's probably a big reason why SC fans have such a negative view of him. I think I'd like him as a prospect a lot more if he were being looked at as a slot guy like bosox has been referring to rather than as an elite WR prospect/#1 type of guy. He isn't that.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I still don't think it's necessary for the Lions to move up to get Watkins. Defense should be the target. They would have to give up quite a bit to move up and I just don't think that's what they need to do but I guess we'll see what happens. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%