2014 NBA Playoffs Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Yeah. The Sterling situation is bigger than basketball, especially with such a high percentage of AA players and the way basketball is part of AA culture, in a way. Can't not talk about it.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Another thing I didn't like about tonight's game. While James was hot in the second half, we completely ignored Chandler Parsons, who'd been hot all game. The guy isn't your late game scorer, no, but I really wish we'd at least continue to get him some looks once games get tight. 

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:
There would be an argument there if they only talked about Sterling and ignored the game. They talked about it first because it's a bigger story.
It's a big story, I get it. I'm not disputing that it isn't, or that it shouldn't be the lead off. What my point is, you're still talking about this story 10-15 minutes into your show. Something that has been talked into the ground for the last twelve hours of the day, not including the day before that. Lead off with it, say what needs to be said (what you've already said a number of times), and move on until something new emerges.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't quite think you do get it though. You're talking about the biggest racial scandal (if you want to call it a scandal) the league has seen, and it's a league of predominately blacks. It should lead off, and take a bit of time up until the league acts/takes notice. As a white male its easy to not want to constantly hear about it because it portrays our race as insensitive and a grave self entitlement.

I'm not a fan of Bomani Jones at all, because he comes off as the Al Sharpton of the news media to me, but he made a point about white people needing to get into the race relations debates/arguments. Obviously inside the NBA isn't a bunch of white people talking, but I'm just making another point. The story needs eminence reporting on and discussion. People like this need to be casted out.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I think he's more just saying he wanted to hear them talk about the playoffs

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
I think he's more just saying he wanted to hear them talk about the playoffs
Exactly. And trust me cheato, I get it. I'm from the South, I live less than ten minutes from the Mississippi River, and once I get to the river, it doesn't matter if I turn left or right onto River Road I'm going to pass a plantation home every 5-10 minutes. For 18 years I went to a school that was built nearly 50 years ago for just white students, that school graduated its first black student five years ago. All of this is way too familiar for me. Just last week the owner of the business I work for made some pretty racist remarks through text to her sister, the cashier at my job who I'm good friends with. I understand this, too well maybe. But that's hardly the point I'm trying to make.

At some point you've said all that can be said, and at that point it's time to move on. I'm not saying people shouldn't be talking about it, just this morning I listened to Dan Patrick talk about it for a good while, but that was the first time he's talked about it, so it was his view points, and he said things nobody else has said though. While Shaq, and Kenny, Chuck, etc have been talking this thing nonstop since it came out on Saturday, we know their opinions, they've stated them in context a hundred times. Lead off your post game show with it, fine, but don't spend over half the show talking about it. Lets talk about the games.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well we're not going to agree on this apparently, I just think it's more important to keep hammering on this than talk about a game people just watched immediately after. You open with the most pressing/important topic, and the length of the segment/talking depends entirely how the discussion goes and if people want to chime in. That's how discussions work.

Anyway, Magic Johnson will never go to a Clippers game while Sterling is the owner, but he's 100% fine with paying him $1 billion for the franchise. Way to stay consistent, Magic.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
More shouldve been done in protest, I'm sorry

And I know i woulda watched the game yesterday and watched the night games

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And cheato, magic flip flops like crazy

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
The greatest thing that has happened to basketball is that we don't have to deal with fucking Magic as an analyst anymore. I respect what he did in the NBA. I respect the way he's become an example of how one can live with a disease they can't get rid of. 

But by God is he the shittiest basketball analyst I've ever heard. He makes Shaq look like Chuck, and Chuck makes Shaq look like a clown on a nightly basis. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He isn't that great an example of living with an incurable disease. He is a pretty good role model and success story for it, but he can afford medication and pill regimes that the common man cant. He use to take upwards to 20 pills a day.

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
elcheato said:
He isn't that great an example of living with an incurable disease. He is a pretty good role model and success story for it, but he can afford medication and pill regimes that the common man cant. He use to take upwards to 20 pills a day.

Yeah, his access to superior medical care certainly has something to do with it, but at the same time he's a high profile individual in the spotlight and though it's harsh, it has to be a good thing that common people have an example of someone with that persona to look upon. 

BwareDWare94

Reaction score
Goddammit, Indiana, would you just show up, for fuck's sake? All it'd do to have Atlanta win this series is give Washington a 4-0 or 4-1 round 2 series. Fuck this noise. Get it back in this second half, assholes. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This will never stop being amazing with indy

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
the league is selling throwback nickname jerseys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%