2014 AL East Predictions

mgh1985

Reaction score
1. Red Sox (95-67)
2. Rays (93-69)
3. Orioles (88-74)
4. Yankees (85-77)
5. Blue Jays (70-92)

Barring injuries or acts of God, everyone but Toronto will finish above .500. Should be a very exciting division. There's no clearly dominant team. Each team has legitimate concerns as of right now. Red Sox are handing starting jobs to Bogaerts, Middlebrooks, and either Bradley, Jr or Grady Sizemore. That's not good. The Rays lineup is still a joke. Orioles rotation is a huge question mark. Yankees are old and are relying on a number of players with notable injury histories. 

baltimore_boy

Reaction score
I think this is the year that O's take it. Last year was disappointing, but they are basically the same team from last year just with Jimenez, Cruz, Yoon, and maybe Ervin Santana added in. If their rotation can just be average, the hitting should be able to get them plenty of wins. I'm not a believer in the Rays or Yankees, so I think it will come down to the Red Sox and O's. I'll say Orioles, Red Sox, Rays, Yankees, and then the Blue Jays in a distant 5th.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
^ Don't forget they lost Jim Johnson and didn't really replace him. I understand Johnson had his ups and downs but he still saved a TON of games for them. A lot of the Orioles' success will depend on whether Hunter can fill the void.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Wouldn't expect much of a drop off from Johnson to Hunter, but I don't expect the Orioles to win the division anyway.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Although that changes if Ubaldo is the same guy as the 2nd half of last year. Big if though.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Wasn't Ubaldo's resurgence due to something mechanical he figured out? If so, I don't see why he couldn't. Maybe he won't dominate like he did but I think he'll be good. Looked good the other day in ST but obviously it's just ST.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
^ And Hunter is so iffy. Was really good as a reliever last year but he gives up a LOT of home runs.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
Wasn't Ubaldo's resurgence due to something mechanical he figured out? If so, I don't see why he couldn't. Maybe he won't dominate like he did but I think he'll be good. Looked good the other day in ST but obviously it's just ST.
Feasted on inferior opponents late in the year. Had his highest strikeout rate of his career though. The one thing is, it's hard to expect him to be consistent, even with new mechanical changes, because he can get so out of whack sometimes. I hope he's able to find consistency in his delivery and performance, he's fun to watch when he's on. The Indians pitching coach did him a lot of good last year.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think jays will hover around the .500 mark. Their starting pitching is atrocious, but the offense just might keep them in games. They'll still finish last the a least though.

baltimore_boy

Reaction score
Johnson wasn't good at all with the O's. He just wasn't a fit for the ballpark. Hunter will at least be as good as him, and come very cheap. Don't let the amount of saves Johnson had fool you, he blew a good amount of games last year.

Thomas-Panda-Saxby

Reaction score
I think the yanks take the east. Redsox in second. I see the blue jays improving but failing down the stretch. Rays and Orioles will do bad to me.

Dont quote me on the rays. I wouldnt be surprised if they kicked some ass

ErectionForOvechkin

Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
^ Don't forget they lost Jim Johnson and didn't really replace him. I understand Johnson had his ups and downs but he still saved a TON of games for them. A lot of the Orioles' success will depend on whether Hunter can fill the void.

That's a legitimate concern. I think the Orioles offense and pitching has improved enough that Hunter will hopefully not have to be overused like Jim Johnson was forced to be for two years. Johnson caught a ton of flack for last season, but he saved our butts a lot more often than he blew it. Understand why he was traded though. 

ErectionForOvechkin

Reaction score
WHO-DEY-BENGALS_14_18 said:
Rays are always tough to judge but they always seem to find ways to win

Yup, they always do. Their farm system seems to be becoming barren though, and their depth has always been a huge reason for their success, so we'll have to see how that plays out. 

ErectionForOvechkin

Reaction score
Thomas-Panda-Saxby said:
I think the yanks take the east. Redsox in second. I see the blue jays improving but failing down the stretch. Rays and Orioles will do bad to me.

Dont quote me on the rays. I wouldnt be surprised if they kicked some ass

No way do the Yankees take the East. Even if all their guys stay healthy and their old players don't show their age, it's going to take a lot for them to win the East. I've got the Sox winning it

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
People said the same shit about the Red Sox winning the division this past year.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
baltimore_boy said:
Johnson wasn't good at all with the O's. He just wasn't a fit for the ballpark. Hunter will at least be as good as him, and come very cheap. Don't let the amount of saves Johnson had fool you, he blew a good amount of games last year.

He blew a bunch of games last year but don't forget how good he was in his first year as the closer. Orioles fans like to kick him on his way out the door but he was a very good closer for them.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Ill take tampa as al east winners

And johnson sucks. Not worth the 10 mil
Im really surprised oakland took him for that. Very un-billy beane

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%