Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Trying to deflect the pain by talking about Reyes lol

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Haha nah. Nothing else to be said that wasn't said. This team was doomed regardless, I guess it's better now than in the 1st round.

I'm serious about the Reyes thing though

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
IDK how many different people I've had to tell it wasn't Papelbon's fault, at least not the winning run lol

Also, bosox, the Yankees didn't owe us anything. Regardless of how you feel about them "losing" (anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves), Boston should have never been there. No one to blame but themselves.
Im not saying its Papelbon's fault (its Crawfords lol) that we lost last night, but the fact is that he wants a $15 million dollar multi year contract, and Im saying, for what he's done, he isnt worth anywhere near that.

Mariano makes $14.9 mil right now. He had 44 saves with a 1.91 ERA this year.
Papelbon had 31 saves, with a 2.94 ERA.

He is 18th in the MLB in saves this year. Thats the bottom half of the closers in the league.

Here are the salaries for the closers ahead of him

1. Jose Valverde: $7 mil
2. John Axford: $0.4 mil
3. Craig Kimbrel: $0.4 mil
4. JJ Putz: $4 mil
5. Mariano Rivera: $14.9 mil
6. Heath Bell: $7.5 mil
7. Drew Storen: $0.4 mil
8. Joel Hanrahan: $1.4 mil
9. Francisco Cordero: $12.1 mil
10. Brandon League: $2.3 mil
11. Leo Nunez: $3.7 mil
12. Brian Wilson: $6.5 mil
13. Chris Perez: $2.2 mil
14. Carlos Marmol: $2.5 mil
15. Ryan Madsen: $4.8 mil
16. Jordan Walden: $0.4 mil
17. Neftali Feliz: $0.5 mil

all had more saves than Papelbon. Cordero is overpaid, Rivera is the greatest closer ever. Next highest is at $7.5 mil. Papelbon is beyond greedy, if he's asking for Rivera money.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What the fuck....

I go to sleep, and it's 3-2 Boston in the delay, and NYY is up 7-0.

Nice to know the Yankees are that much of assholes to purposely blow a 7 run lead, just to spite Boston

And fuck you Papelbon, go find another team. Were not paying you $15 mil to blow the lead and miss the playoffs!
Umm, the Yankees went up 7-0 in the game, they didn't blow it on purpose. I'm sure they didn't care afterwards, but they did actually score 7 runs early..

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Yankees gave up last night, no ifs about it. Everyone knows it and if you dont your completely blind.

Last time the Yankees blew a 7 run lead in the 8th inning?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They're a pretty damn good team if they can score 7 runs when not trying.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i dont think the yankees gave up
and Girardi had a great answer about not using his 3 headed monster

he said there's only 1 day off before the playoffs start
he wants Mo, Robertson and Soriano to be rested because they might be going multiple innings

considering game 2 is Nova, game 3 is Garcia, multiple innings from those 3 isn't exactly crazy talk

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
They're a pretty damn good team if they can score 7 runs when not trying.
That pitching was atrocious and brought the Rays back into the game. The Yankees took out all their starters after they scored the 7 runs.

What did the Phillies do? They kept them all in....

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
That pitching was atrocious and brought the Rays back into the game. The Yankees took out all their starters after they scored the 7 runs.

yanks only have 1 day of rest
why risk injury?

phils dont start til saturday

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score

The Braves are a rival of the Phillies...

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Yeah if the game was against the Red Sox it wouldn't have surprised me if the Yankees put more effort into the game.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
yanks only have 1 day of rest
why risk injury?

phils dont start til saturday
Its going to bite them in the ass. Why would you want to face the Rays in the playoffs as opposed to the Red Sox who were just completely collapsing?

You just built more momentum for that team going into the playoffs, instead of letting the Red Sox limp in. That risk of injury concept is way overblown, especially considering the 162 game schedule that they face.

Its about sportsmanship and competing at the end of the day the Yankees knew they were knocking out the Red Sox. Lets not be naive and think this was some wonderful random coincidence.

"It's crazy just to see this going on," Betances said. "Obviously I love New York, I'm a fan and now being here, I'm kind of happy to see Boston go out."

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Its going to bite them in the ass. Why would you want to face the Rays in the playoffs as opposed to the Red Sox who were just completely collapsing?

You just built more momentum for that team going into the playoffs, instead of letting the Red Sox limp in. That risk of injury concept is way overblown, especially considering the 162 game schedule that they face.

Its about sportsmanship and competing at the end of the day the Yankees knew they were knocking out the Red Sox. Lets not be naive and think this was some wonderful random coincidence.
Bentances grew up a Yankee fan in NY. of course he loves to see them lose

and you wrote why the yankees didnt try and lose.
why potentially see the rays instead of the sox?

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Dan Johnson hadn't had a hit since the end of April and spent most of the year in AAA. To get the hit he did, at the time he did, after everything that just happened, just seems like more than a coincidence to some.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
lol

On Tuesday, when I asked him about the collapse of the team, Gonzalez blamed the schedule, not the Almighty.

"We play too many night games on getaway days and get into places at 4 in the morning," Gonzalez said. "This has been my toughest season physically because of that. We play a lot of night games on Sunday for television and that those things take a lot out of you."

I told Gonzalez that teams like the Red Sox and Yankees have long had those challenges, it's part of playing for a high-profile team.

"Why does it have to be?" he said. "They can put the Padres on ESPN, too. The schedule really hurt us. Nobody is really reporting that."
this isnt the NL West anymore Adrian

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Really liking how the Yankees bullpen is looking for the playoffs.

Our 7-8-9 combo of Soriano, K-Rob, and Mo is going to pitch well. Then we have Hughes, Burnett, and Colon in there. All guys who could come in in the 3rd inning or something like that if our starter gets knocked around and give us quality innings.

Then there's Boone Logan and Luis Ayala. I like Ayala but I'm not so sure about him. Have never been a fan of Logan, which sucks because he's our only quality lefty in the bullpen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%