2010 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooche

Reaction score
Jonathan Toews was on T.V talking about his cup run here in Winnipeg, he brought it back yesterday. Unfortunately, it was during the same time that the World Cup final was on. He just said right away when the reporter asked "What is next John?" - "Well, we have lost a lot of guys in a short amount of period, none of else felt that this would happen so fast". They are in a lot of cap trouble, it is true and all of these rumors about them signing other players appear to be very questionable.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is what I am saying...What else can they possibly do to keep out of cap trouble? Match Hjalmarsson's offer sheet, they've got pennies left to spend, and that's without considering the raise Niemi is going to get. They should of held onto Versteeg and traded Sharp. I love Sharp in Chicago but he'd of cleared up more cap space. I also don't think Niemi is THAT good. Let Niemi walk and put Huet between the pipes, make him earn his money.
They're gonna have to move some bodies again, I assume. There has already been a rumor that Huet might get loaned to some European team. They ###### up their cap management though lol.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
After their signings before last season, I don't know how you couldn't see this happening lol

Mooche

Reaction score
The Montreal Canadiens signed defenceman Mathieu Carle and forward James T. Wyman to one-year, two-way contracts on Tuesday.

Carle, who was held scoreless in three games with the Canadiens this season, will collect a salary of $660,000 in the NHL and $62,500 in the AHL.

The 22-year old averaged 14:28 of ice time per game with the Canadiens and recorded 5 goals, 10 assists in 31 games with the Hamilton Bulldogs while missing 44 games due to injuries.

A native of Gatineau, Quebec, Carle was selected in the second round, 53rd overall by the Canadiens at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
Few just small signings for Montreal. News is kind of slow, right now, ha.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Flyers sign Nikolai Zherdev officially. Not liking that. SMH

Dan Girardi re-ups in NY on a 4 year deal

Jared Boll re-signs in Columbus

Ottawa signs Roman Wick

Montreal re-signs Maxim Lapierre

That is all

Mooche

Reaction score
Kind of sucks the Flyers got Zherdev. I am happy the Canadiens re-signed Lapierre, he was amazing in the playoffs, ha.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
After their signings before last season, I don't know how you couldn't see this happening lol
We all knew it was coming but what is surprising is how they are trying to get out of it. Already traded away more players that I thought they would, have no sound plan for dumping Huet, and still have a lot of work to go in order to compile a pro roster and stay under the cap.

Mooche

Reaction score
We all knew it was coming but what is surprising is how they are trying to get out of it. Already traded away more players that I thought they would, have no sound plan for dumping Huet, and still have a lot of work to go in order to compile a pro roster and stay under the cap.
Yeah, AE is right here. It really is kind of shocking how fast it all has happened...kind of what Toews meant in that interview he did for the local station.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Pavol Demitra has signed a one-year contract with Yaroslavl of the KHL, agent Matt Keator confirms to ESPN.com

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mikko Koivu gets a 7 year extension

Best move the Wild has made in the last 2 years

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mikko Koivu gets a 7 year extension

Best move the Wild has made in the last 2 years
Yeah, Koivu has been their franchise player for about a couple of years now, they had to lock him up. Good move

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Detroit Red Wings coach Mike Babcock is optimistic that veteran centre Mike Modano will sign with his hockey team.

Modano is an unrestricted free agent after spending his entire 20-year career in the Dallas Stars organization (he was originally drafted as a Minnesota North Star) and is reportedly being courted by the Red Wings, Minnesota and San Jose.

Babcock met with Modano earlier this week and said he has a good feeling about the 40-year-old.

“This is a no brainer for Mike Modano — the highest scoring American player of all time to come back to your hometown, play in Hockeytown," Babcock told NHL.com Friday.

Modano is a native of nearby Lovonia, Mich.

"It’s not about the cash, it’s about the legacy and the fit,” Babcock said. “He’ll fit and he’ll be excited to play. I look forward to him signing. I think that’s inevitable. I think that’s what is going to happen."

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Could the Ilya Kovalchuk saga be coming to an end? Possibly. It appears theLos Angeles Kings and Kovalchuk have moved into talking about the details of his contract. The LA Times' Helene Elliotte tweets that talks are now about "over bonus/salary in 2012-13 season and maybe over no trade/no movement clauses and how deep into the deal a clause would kick in."

There are reports the Kings and Kovy are closer to a deal, which might mean they found some common ground. And according to Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos, some "major stumbling blocks have been rectified" in their talks, so this has to be good news.

Now, we know the Kings aren't going to commit a huge cap hit to Kovalchuk because they don't want to jeopardize their ability to re-sign Drew Doughty and Wayen Simmonds down the road. So chance are, Kovalchuk's contract is a long-term deal -- we're hearing a term as long as 15 years -- and it will likely be heavily front-loaded. This new deal will likely keep Kovy under contract for the rest of his career.

There was some talk that Kovy could sign a short-term deal and test free agency again, but since thy are talking about how deep into the deal a no-trade clause would kick in, it looks like this deal is for the long haul.

Wheres AE, I'm winning

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Wheres AE, I'm winning
F*ck Kovalchuk and this whole process...that has become more like a project. I think this says a lot about how much Kovy really wanted to remain in New Jersey & if anything, the Kings win. Patience has paid off for LA and seemingly, no matter how many times they said, "We're done chasing Ilya", Kovy just wouldn't go away.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
F*ck Kovalchuk and this whole process...that has become more like a project. I think this says a lot about how much Kovy really wanted to remain in New Jersey & if anything, the Kings win. Patience has paid off for LA and seemingly, no matter how many times they said, "We're done chasing Ilya", Kovy just wouldn't go away.
Well can you blame them? They know its best for him if he goes there, and he knows it too

They never backed out

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well can you blame them? They know its best for him if he goes there, and he knows it too

They never backed out
How can you say they never backed out? Twice, the Kings' front office said that they were, "out of the running".

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How can you say they never backed out? Twice, the Kings' front office said that they were, "out of the running".
I can say they never backed out because they kept trying the entire time and thats apparent by the position they're in right now...

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Philadelphia Flyers have traded forward Simon Gagne to the Tampa Bay Lightning for defenceman Matt Walker and a fourth-round draft pick in 2011.
Damn good move by Yzerman.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Vancouver Canucks have avoided arbitration with forward Mason Raymond, signing the 24-year old to a two-year, $5.1 million contract prior to his hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%