Avery Johnson fired as Brooklyn Nets head coach

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Avery Johnson fired as Brooklyn Nets head coach, according to report

The Nets have fired coach Avery Johnson after a disappointing 14-14 start. Brooklyn has lost 10 of their last 13 games.

Frustrated by continued losing in the face of elevated expectations, the Brooklyn Nets fired coach Avery Johnson after the team's 10th loss in its last 13 games Wednesday night, according to Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski. Johnson departs after two and a third seasons with the franchise.

The Nets were expected to be one of the best teams in the Eastern Conference after a major spending spree over the summer, but have instead faded to 14-14 after a strong start. Star Deron Williams has struggled all year, and he's also dropped hints that the Nets' offense under Johnson needed to change. The decision was ultimately made after the Nets dropped 10 of their last 13 games, including an embarrassing home loss to the Boston Celtics on Christmas Day.

It remains to be seen who will take over for Johnson, but obvious candidates include assistant coaches P.J. Carlisemo and Mario Elie. Johnson had a 60-132 record in two-plus years as the Nets coach.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
P.J. Carlesimo is the interim.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I thought the expectations were over inflated. Still, not surprised by this move.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I thought the expectations were over inflated. Still, not surprised by this move.
I said before the season started that they wouldn't be as good as people thought. I don't think firing Avery will help all that much in this case.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
Realistically, this is what got Avery fired, not Deron's comments.
https://twitter.com/brettyormark/status/283662688511479808

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Well I don't think firing him can make them worse. Even last season, with Lopez injured, they should have been better.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
We would have never won a playoff series under Avery's system. Ever.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
damn. knew this wouldve happened sooner or later. im wondering who is going to step up in the off-season and want to be coaching them. maybe sloan?

maybe they reach out to him now?

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
damn. knew this wouldve happened sooner or later. im wondering who is going to step up in the off-season and want to be coaching them. maybe sloan?

maybe they reach out to him now?
.... yeah i don't think we will be waiting until the offseason for a new coach lol

SVG, Nate McMillan (realistically)
PJax, Sloan (I can dream can't I?)

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
Lol why do Nets fans deserve better. They're historically one of the worst franchises in the NBA, only the Clippers, Raptors, Twolves, Grizzlies, and Bobcats have lower winning percentages...
The Magic will suck dick for the next decade.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
.... yeah i don't think we will be waiting until the offseason for a new coach lol

SVG, Nate McMillan (realistically)
PJax, Sloan (I can dream can't I?)
i really wouldnt be shocked to see sloans name come up. out of those guys any of them besides pjax can happen now.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
I guess I should've seen this coming. He just wasn't cutting it over there

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
The Magic will suck dick for the next decade.
This thread isn't about the Magic though, unless I missed something.

Explain to me why the Nets deserve better? Based on this board their fans definitely don't deserve better :p

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
arent the nets like 2-10 in their last 12? somehing like that. he was going to be let go regardless because they have too much money vested in that team to not be above .500

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
arent the nets like 2-10 in their last 12? somehing like that. he was going to be let go regardless because they have too much money vested in that team to not be above .500
That and the fact that is was clear as day to anybody watching Nets games that the players didn't respect him as a coach. The decisions he made over the past month led to his firing. Benching Hump, starting Bogans, playing Stackhouse extended minutes, not playing Marshon, running the same post up iso for JJ, Crash, and Lopez, not starting Blatche with Lopez which would clearly be our best starting lineup, BEING THE WORST SECOND HALF TEAM IN RECENT HISTORY, etc.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
we've all seen what blatche does as a fulltime starter tho. he's averging around 18ppg in his starts this season buy given that time every game and it'll be a team crippling 18ppg.

his rotations were pretty bad tho. you guys dont have the top tier level to compete but you certainly have enough to be better than what you are.

youngguru

V͎͡Ị̠̳SI͉ƠN̡
Reaction score
we've all seen what blatche does as a fulltime starter tho. he's averging around 18ppg in his starts this season buy given that time every game and it'll be a team crippling 18ppg.

his rotations were pretty bad tho. you guys dont have the top tier level to compete but you certainly have enough to be better than what you are.
Not really tho. Everyone knows that Blatche's game is suited better to play at the 4 but when was starting for Lopez he was playing the 5. He is a decent post up player but he's GREAT off the dribble. His defense hasn't been that bad this year either. He has beyond exceeded my expectations for him. And with Hump struggling, I'd much rather have him start than Reggie Evans or Bogans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%