Rumor: Cavs Will Not Give Kyrie Max Money This Offseason

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Cavs are making noises that they arent going to offer Kyrie Irving max money" this summer via a long-term extension. They dont want to deal the 2014 All-Star Game MVP, but it could come to that, especially if the West Orange product and his family continue to tell people that he wants out. Irving hasnt been a leader in his first three seasons and hes also gained the unwelcomed reputation as a locker-room problem. Those are two reasons the Cavs dont see him as a max player.

He was just handed too much, too soon," said one source. Youve got to make these young guys earn it, and thats where this team did a bad job with him."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/lawrence-memphis-grizzlies-best-franchise-sports-article-1.1804428

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cleveland is more dysfunctional than Detroit, and that is saying a lot lol.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
*waits for dan dan the elcheato man to respond.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
You don't give max money to players who only play on one end of the floor.

Evidence: Love, Melo, Harden

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:

They all have max money though lol.
Kyrie is a max player.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
*waits for dan dan the elcheato man to respond.
If they offered him a max this year, it would be the super-max from the Rose-Rule, so it's hardly a surprise they have an internal debate about it.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
But all those players got max money

I meant example as in look at guys who got max money but don't elevate their teammates.

I should have clarified that.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Again, it really doesnt matter what gets reported. Either way someone here is going to sway it some way against the Cavs.

"Rumor: Cavs won't offer Kyrie max

Are they stupid or something? Dysfunctional!"

"Report: Cavs offering Kyrie max

The Cavs are so desperate! Offering a one-way player a max contract. Dysfunctional!"

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Can I ask a serious question? What is the trade market for Kyrie?

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wouldn't call them desperate or dysfunctional for offering him the max. He's going to get it from someone else if Cleveland doesn't give it to him. Just the way the business works these days. 

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:

I would imagine very high. 22 year olds with his skill level don't come on the trade market. I'd consider trade him for the #3 pick if Philly was offering it, but the Cavs keep talking about wanting to win now, so they'd want an established star, probably.
RipCity32 said:
I wouldn't call them desperate or dysfunctional for offering him the max. He's going to get it from someone else if Cleveland doesn't give it to him. Just the way the business works these days. 
This is a different situation. He's in line to make more than the normal max because of his all-star appearances. A decent amount more. I personally would still give him the offer, but if they'd rather him hit restricted free agency, and hope he signs an offer sheet and not their QO, then that's their decision.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
elcheato said:

I would imagine very high. 22 year olds with his skill level don't come on the trade market. I'd trade him for the #3 pick if Philly was offering it.
This is a different situation. He's in line to make more than the normal max because of his all-star appearances. A decent amount more. I personally would still give him the offer, but if they'd rather him hit restricted free agency, and hope he signs an offer sheet and not their QO, then that's their decision.
I feel like he'd take it as a slight though. Which is not something you want to do if you want to keep your franchise player happy. Especially with a new "Kyrie wants out" rumor seemingly every week. 

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
BwareDWare94 said:

Yeah but those guys play the 3rd, 4th and 5th most important positions on the floor.  PG is the 1st and always has been, especially in an era where dominant centers are an almost extinct breed.

CameronCrazy06 said:

It's through the roof.  To have a PG that can perform at a high level is an incredible asset.  Kyrie is a top five PG at the least.  You take that player and build around him like he is a quarterback.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mobruler said:
Kyrie is a top five PG at the least.
If you factor in both sides of the floor I'm not sure that's true.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Yeah I love Kyrie and after this season I'm not so sure he's top 5 either

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
Paul
Parker
Westbrook
Curry
Lillard (maybe)

He's #5, no less than 7 if you're a skeptic.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Mobruler said:
Paul
Parker
Westbrook
Curry
Lillard (maybe)

He's #5, no less than 7 if you're a skeptic.
Paul
Curry
Parker
Westbrook
Wall

That's 5 that's definitely better, and I could keep going. The board has heard my opinions on him before, so I won't beat a dead horse, but you have to factor in more than just putting the ball through the net. If you don't, then of course he's a top 5, but if you do, then you will know of 5+ that are better.

I'm not trying to shit on the guy, he's an amazing player and he's fun as hell to watch. But lets not make him out to be something he's not. We tend to overrate players who can score, and as a result we overrate their teams as well. I did it myself this offseason.

Mobruler

Wolves
Reaction score
Have to agree with CC here, Wall is definitely not better.  Gave Kyrie a cushion to top 7 which is probably more of a cushion than he needs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%