NYY near trade for Cliff Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Source: Lee-to-Yanks deal nearly done

A trade that would send Mariners left-hander Cliff Lee to the Yankees was "just about done" on Friday morning, according to an executive involved in the trade talks.

The Mariners have been pushing hard to complete the trade, but as of Friday morning there was no agreement in place, sources said, and it was possible another team could have stepped in to make a more aggressive bid.

The Mariners had also been talking with the Rays, Twins, Rangers, Reds and other teams, and news that the Yankees were on the verge of getting Lee -- first reported by the New York Post -- could have spurred one of the other teams to strengthen their offer.

But all along, the Yankees have believed no other team matches up better than they would with Seattle in a Lee deal because they are offering prospect Jesus Montero, who figures to have a long and productive career as a hitter regardless of whether he plays catcher or first base.

A baseball official with knowledge of the Yankees' thinking told ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand they view Montero as a plus-hitter and think he has improved his catching skills, though, among other things, he still needs some work on his accuracy on throws to second despite his powerful arm. The Yankees also like double-A prospect Austin Romine and project him as a possible .275, 20-homer catcher. If they traded Montero, Romine would make the move easier for the organization to absorb.

But the lingering question in their internal debate has been whether expending a trade piece such as Montero would be worthwhile, and in recent seasons, the Yankees have passed on acquiring Johan Santana, CC Sabathia and Roy Halladay under similar circumstances. And the Yankees' rotation is good enough to win without Lee.

But the Yankees know that one of the AL East powers is going to be on the outside looking in at the conclusion of the regular-season jockeying, and they saw first-hand last October just how good Lee can be.

They have been well aware of the potential impact of Lee in another contender's rotation, as he was in helping the Philadelphia Phillies reach the World Series for the second straight season.
I swear to God....if the Yankees trade Jesus Montero, I will be PISSED

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The Mariners want a catching prospect, so they have to give up a catcher somehow.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Mariners want a catching prospect, so they have to give up a catcher somehow.
I realize that FPS...but I'd rather have Jesus Montero than Cliff Lee. I am f'ing sick and tired of waiting on these 'spects for so long...only to see them traded away a year before they're ready to come up.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jesus Montero... nooooooooooo

Cliff Lee is so great, but Montero is gonna be an all star year in and year out. The Yankees without Lee are still the favorites to win it all this year - and then also the favorites to sign Cliff Lee in free agency next year. I'd rather just wait until next year, give Lee 7 years 500 mill (because we don't give a <Censored>) and keep Montero.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
So much for hoping that he's gonna go to Minny.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Doesn't matter where he goes, he'll sign with NY in the offseason.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Seattle won't regret this, that's for sure.

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
We got money like that.

MAKE IT RAIN

VC15

Reaction score
Dodged a bullet there, the Mariners said "no deal".

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's been traded to Texas for Justin Smoak and some prospects apparently. I like the deal for both.

VC15

Reaction score
At least we don't have to face him tonight.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thank God! I really didn't want to see Jesus Montero leave the organization. Cliff Lee will be a Yankee next season anyways. This is CC Sabathia situation all over again.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And because of that, the MLB is a fair system.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
Mark Lowe was also part of the deal. Lowe/Lee for Smoak and three prospects.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And because of that, the MLB is a fair system.
Let's not get into that discussion again. I was tired of you small market fans pissing & moaning the last time.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thank God! I really didn't want to see Jesus Montero leave the organization. Cliff Lee will be a Yankee next season anyways. This is CC Sabathia situation all over again.
yep. better they wait and keep the prospects. but really, rich getting richer.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Let's not get into that discussion again. I was tired of you small market fans pissing & moaning the last time.
lol you're a joke, and that's all it is... No team should be able to say "no point in trading for him because we're going to sign him anyway because we're the Yankees with an unfair advantage on everyone."

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I cant wait for the Mets to sign him in the offseason and make the Phillies pay for trading him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%