2017-2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Braves wipe their hands cleanof Kemp after this season now... and open up a spot in the outfield for Acuna.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jim Leyritz says the Yanks are close to resigning Todd Frazier. To his credit, Leyritz reported completion of the Stanton deal well before any of the talking heads did.

catman

Reaction score
Frazier will help the Yankees as much as anyone would.  He is a good fielder and can hit a little bit, too.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
catman said:
Frazier will help the Yankees as much as anyone would.  He is a good fielder and can hit a little bit, too.
They can do better. Like you said, Frazier can hit "a little bit."

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/MarcCarig/status/942752326099652610

https://twitter.com/MarcCarig/status/942244683778019329

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
Frazier is a nice player but I think the Yankees have enough mashers. They may want to get some people to get on base in front of them.

I think the market is being held up due to all the trade activity. JT Realmuto requested a trade out of Miami. Once Arrieta or Darvish signs there will probably be a run on the remaining free agents. 

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I think theyd sign Frazier for a veteran leader/clubhouse guy as much as anything else. All reports indicated that was a perfect marriage for both sides last season.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Frazier was the clubhouse leader a young team desperately needed. He was also the guy who brought much-needed dugout schenanigans to a historically uptight franchise. I was all for bringing Frazier back on a short, friendly deal, but he’s not longer needed. Stanton has all the leadership presence the Yanks need and I think Gleyber is better suited to play 3B.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Red Sox bring back Moreland for 2-years at $6.5M per.  Hosmer isn't going to be in Boston and Red Sox Twitter is losing it's mind.  Bronx bias aside, this was the better move for Boston to make.  Hanley, Sandoval, and Price deals have the Sox heavily handcuffed this offseason. I though it was foolish to add Hosmer on a 6-7 year deal when a deep dive into his offensive metrics shows he's not very consistent and his homer totals are flukie. 

Question now is do they Red Sox continue pursuing JD? He wants to play OF and they want him to DH. Even if JD backs off, they'd still be paying him big OF money just to bat. 

Something to keep in mind, Hanley has a $19M or $20M vesting option after this season. He can exercise with 497 PA or more. The Red Sox aren't going to find a trade partner, even if they eat a majority of his $22M owed this year.  That said, the name of the game is get a DH and limit Hanley's ABs in 2017.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
Red Sox bring back Moreland for 2-years at $6.5M per.  Hosmer isn't going to be in Boston and Red Sox Twitter is losing it's mind.  Bronx bias aside, this was the better move for Boston to make.  Hanley, Sandoval, and Price deals have the Sox heavily handcuffed this offseason. I though it was foolish to add Hosmer on a 6-7 year deal when a deep dive into his offensive metrics shows he's not very consistent and his homer totals are flukie. 

Question now is do they Red Sox continue pursuing JD? He wants to play OF and they want him to DH. Even if JD backs off, they'd still be paying him big OF money just to bat. 

Something to keep in mind, Hanley has a $19M or $20M vesting option after this season. He can exercise with 497 PA or more. The Red Sox aren't going to find a trade partner, even if they eat a majority of his $22M owed this year.  That said, the name of the game is get a DH and limit Hanley's ABs in 2017.
Moreland was so-so but he's not getting us over our offensive woes.  This is a pretty bad deal all around.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
Moreland was so-so but he's not getting us over our offensive woes.  This is a pretty bad deal all around.
What else were they going to do? It’s been made clear they won’t add more than one big bat and JD is who they covet.

catman

Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
They can do better. Like you said, Frazier can hit "a little bit."
Yes they can do better, but not at the price Frazier will need.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
Frazier was the clubhouse leader a young team desperately needed. He was also the guy who brought much-needed dugout schenanigans to a historically uptight franchise. I was all for bringing Frazier back on a short, friendly deal, but he’s not longer needed. Stanton has all the leadership presence the Yanks need and I think Gleyber is better suited to play 3B.
This.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
What else were they going to do? It’s been made clear they won’t add more than one big bat and JD is who they covet.
You're right.  I'm not so opposed to it.  It keeps us status quo, but then again, we aren't overpaying for anyone.  Just doesn't make us better, that's all.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
"Mets will 'at least consider' signing 1B Adrian Gonzalez."

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
You're right.  I'm not so opposed to it.  It keeps us status quo, but then again, we aren't overpaying for anyone.  Just doesn't make us better, that's all.
Theyre probably going to be conservative this offseason just so they have plenty of money for next year's free agency.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The most "meh", holdover Red Sox team came together and won a World Series in 2013. That team wasn't overly talented. They were high character, fed off each other, and came up big in the clutch. A roster doesn't have to be sexy in order to win in October.

PWNdroia

Banned
Reaction score
AE. said:
The most "meh", holdover Red Sox team came together and won a World Series in 2013. That team wasn't overly talented. They were high character, fed off each other, and came up big in the clutch. A roster doesn't have to be sexy in order to win in October.
This.  You're absolutely right.

Problem is, this team doesn't have the same character.  Hanley Ramirez especially.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
PWNdroia said:
This.  You're absolutely right.

Problem is, this team doesn't have the same character.  Hanley Ramirez especially.
I think Papi had a very unique influence that guys like Pedroia and Price will never have. Clubhouse seemed very inflammatory last season but this is why Farrell is out and Cora is in.

Pains me to say Cora will do a much better job managing the Red Sox culture than Boone will the Yanks.

Phil The Thrill

Reaction score
Plus we all forget that Mookie had a down year for his standards at the plate and Bogaerts was injured for half the year. Plus Benintendi and Devers will be a lot better. We gotta count on a lot of internal improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%