Strasburg set for season debut on Tuesday

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
ATLANTA -- The Nationals have already decided how their rotation will look in the next week, and barring any setbacks, it will include right-hander Stephen Strasburg.

With right-hander Jordan Zimmermann out for the season because of innings limitations, left-hander Tom Milone will make his Major League debut against the Mets at Nationals Park on Saturday, according to a baseball source. But the bigger news is that Strasburg is expected to make his season debut with the Nationals on Tuesday against the Dodgers.

Strasburg will make his final rehab start on Thursday for Double-A Harrisburg, likely throwing 75 to 80 pitches, or six innings.

In Saturday's contest for Triple-A Syracuse, Strasburg was dominant, throwing five perfect innings before allowing two singles to open the sixth against Rochester at Syracuse's Alliance Bank Stadium.

If things go well Thursday, Strasburg will pitch his first big league game since August of last year. Strasburg, who is considered the ace of the staff, has missed most of this season while recovering from Tommy John surgery.

The first overall pick in the 2009 First-Year Player Draft, Strasburg made his Major League debut last year, going 5-3 with a 2.92 ERA and 92 strikeouts.

Milone, who was a 10th-round pick in the 2008 First-Year Player Draft, is considered one of the best pitchers in Washington's farm system, going 12-6 with a 3.22 ERA this year. The most impressive thing about Milone's season is that has walked just 16 batters in 148 1/3 innings.
mlb.com

Good to see he's made a full recovery and is ready to return. He's such an exciting player to watch.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good shit. Can't wait to see how he does.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just hope he isn't pushing to get back. Would be a real shame if he was set back because of it.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
hopefully he really is completely ready. i cant wait to see him for years.

Reaction score
I just hope they haven't rushed him back. It seems like he's ready to return, but he's also had a couple rough outings in the minors. Hopefully he doesn't hurt himself again, and he's back for the long run.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Should be fun to watch him finish out the year.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I just hope they haven't rushed him back. It seems like he's ready to return, but he's also had a couple rough outings in the minors. Hopefully he doesn't hurt himself again, and he's back for the long run.
I havent heard anything about rough outings. All I've heard is that he is doing really good down there.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Even if he is, it shouldn't be a huge concern. Rehab starts are a success as long as you don't get hurt/aggravate a previous injury.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Even if he is, it shouldn't be a huge concern. Rehab starts are a success as long as you don't get hurt/aggravate a previous injury.
yea pretty much haha.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I know he got roughed up in one of his rehab starts, haven't heard anything else about them.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He's going to have an exciting career if he can stay away from injuries as much as he can.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I really worry about him. I forget the link but i read last season, right before he got injured, that he was practically babied in High School and college. They'd only play him on like Friday nights to draw in higher crowds, and limited him to less than 100 pitches (and that in College they usually do the opposite. They want you to throw well over 100 to build up arm strength). So he had limited pitches, limited innings and got 6 days rest. Now he is expected to throw more pitches, and pitch on 4 days rest. His arm wasn't ready for it.

Who knows, maybe the surgery will basically make his arm stronger and more stable and he'll never have this problem again, but obviously it's gotta have you worried.

No doubt he's ready for it, talent wise. And yes, he did get roughed up a bit at Single A. 3 starts, 6.1 innings. 9.95 ERA.... HOWEVER, in those 3 starts at Single A, he has an 18.5 K/9inn. That is fucking insane. Overall in 5 rehab starts his ERA is slightly over 5, but his strikeout/9 is 15.7, which is still insane.

Limit those hits and he'll be okay.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
For those worried about Strasburg because he struggled in his rehab starts...

Stephen Strasburg (elbow) was dominant in his final rehab outing for Double-A Harrisburg on Thursday, allowing just one hit in six scoreless innings of work
-rotoworld

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Be excited to see him back. He's very young, but yet he's already one of those players you tune in to watch.

spangar

Reaction score
hes a real exciting player to watch..would suck to see him get injured again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%