Sectional Island Sig

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
credit: CptRaynor from ddgfx.com

Final Result:

1) Open up photoshop and make a new document, any standard signature size will do. Just make sure the background is black.

a) Next, go to the shape tool, click on it and hold down until a new menu shows up, go down and select "Rounded Rectangle Tool"

Than just click and drag from a corner, and create your rounded edge rectangle

c) Now you should rasterize your layer (Right click on the rectangle layer). Next, we will start dividing our sig.

By standard, I usually cut the shape into 3 areas, One for the picture I intend to use, one for the text, and another for the bulk of the various Tech brushes I'll use. But before you start cutting, make sure you designate what division will hold what in your mind, you need to make enough room in each division so your text or your picture doesn't get cut off.

The way I cut this is that I grab the polygonal lasso tool, hold down shift, and start
making some some edged selections so I can create that whole feeling that the sig "islands" can interlock with eachother. When you have a selection you like press "delete" while the shape layer is selected.

Whatever you do, don't make your selections too thin, otherwise the glow effects that will be added later on will overlap and you won't be able to see the background of whatever forum your finished product will be added to.

Now do it again for as many times as you see fit, as for me and the signature I'm creating, I'll do it one more time.

2) Now that we have our rectangle divided, we can begin to add the effects. Follow the directions below, but following the color choices is not mandatory:

And be sure to set your layer blending on "Soft Light"

Now that we have effects in place, now we start brushing in a background, make a new layer below your shape layer. Than, ctrl+click the picture of your shape layer, with the new layer still selected, and create a layer mask (The tool that looks like the white circle with the black background next to the effects button). This will prevent any brushing outside of our divisions.

Now start brushing (Not in the layer mask!), Since whenever I do these signatures, they're always tech oriented, so I use calming abstract brushes like White Wolf's brush packs,just use whatever you think can go with your work.

Now, ctrl+click your shape layer, go to the icon that looks like a circle that is half white and half black, from there, go to color balance.

Now, you should have your color balance layer, and anything it will affect, will not go past the divisions you made earlier. So start playing with the sliders to get the color you want.

Just remember the glow color should match the overlay. If the coloring ends up being too bright, you can either change the color settings again, or just move the color layer below the shape layer.

3) Now you can add your render, I'll place it in the left island since the spacing in it
allows for a full view with the least obstruction. Remember to ctrl+click the shape layer beforehand, before you paste your image into it (Paste into command= Ctrl+Shift+V). At this point you can follow your own methods of picture blending.

4) Now you can add some text, usually I just use the same layer effects on my name text as my shape layer.

5) Now add your tech brushing, just make sure the layer your using has the same layer mask as the others that have it.

6) When your done with everything, double click the background layer so it can be renamed to "Layer 0" for easy transperencies. Than, ctrl+click the shape layer, than press Ctrl+i to invert the selection, than press delete. Now, everything that is outside the signature, will be transparant, while the signature itself can still keep its effect.

Note: If your finding part of the glow is getting cut off, just increase the canvas size. For a little extra effect, you can add a pattern effect like scanlines or a grid into it.
Remember this tutorial is a guide, you can modify any of the steps you want in the creation process if it makes a better effect

.snowy

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
dont know if that is suited to sportz or not but its nice anyway

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
it might work with multiple pics/players

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The one thing I like about that sig... Is the bg. You must find out what brush that is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%