Roy Oswalt or Vance Worley

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
If you're the Phillies, who is your 4th starter in the playoff rotation?

Roy Oswalt - The proven veteran with a 3.39 post-season ERA who has pitched fairly well but has dealt with some injuries.

Vance Worley - The unproven rookie who has never pitched in the post-season but has pitched fantastic this season and the Phillies have won his last 14 starts and are 16-2 in games he started this season.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tough decision but I'd go with Vance Worley who has been pretty good all year. Then you just use Oswalt out of the pen. And even if Worley does suck, it won't be backbreaking for the Phillies.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Oswalt. You can rely on him more with his veteran experience.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Tough decision but I'd go with Vance Worley who has been pretty good all year. Then you just use Oswalt out of the pen. And even if Worley does suck, it won't be backbreaking for the Phillies.
I'd rather do the opposite and have Oswalt start with Worley in the pen.

Go with the guys who proven and knows what playoff baseball is like. That's why they got him isn't it?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Is Vance Worley going to forget how to pitch once it hits October? He's been more reliable this year, thus he deserves the start.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Is Vance Worley going to forget how to pitch once it hits October? He's been more reliable this year, thus he deserves the start.
It wouldn't be the first time a pitcher who pitched well in the regular season struggled in the post season.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Tough choice right now. too close to call imo

the scary part is, the guy who doesnt start goes in the pen lol

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yeah. I mean we see it all the time. Guy pitches well during season, makes a start in postseason for first time and gets rocked. And vice versa. Veteran pitcher struggles during season, locks in during postseason.

I mean geez, I keep hearing local yankee writers saying the Yanks should start AJ during postseason because he has the postseason experience. Same thing should apply for the Oswalt.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thats very tough because Worley is a rookie and Oswalt knows what he's doing. But then again, like mentioned earlier, Worley isn't gonna forget how to pitch in October. I'd go with him.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah. I mean we see it all the time. Guy pitches well during season, makes a start in postseason for first time and gets rocked. And vice versa. Veteran pitcher struggles during season, locks in during postseason.

I mean geez, I keep hearing local yankee writers saying the Yanks should start AJ during postseason because he has the postseason experience. Same thing should apply for the Oswalt.
And the Yankees shouldn't start Burnett either..

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's quite remarkable that the Phillies have 4 starters in the 2's in terms of ERA. Oswalt is the highest of the rotation with a 3.72. Nuts.

To answer the question though, I'd go with Worley. No sense not riding the success he has had to this point.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I think the experience in this situation is overrated. The Phillies will more than likely face the Diamondbacks facing them in Arizona. Worley will be fine pitching there and he has had a great year, I think you go with the hot hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%