Jardine cut by UFC

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
UFC terminates contract of veteran Keith Jardine

Following a majority-decision loss to Matt Hamill that accounted for his fourth consecutive defeat, Keith Jardine now will look for work in outside promotions.

Ultimate Fighting Championship officials have terminated his contract.

UFC officials told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) of the recent firing, which UFC president Dana White first confirmed with MMAFighting.com.

Jardine (15-8-1), a semifinalist on "The Ultimate Fighter 2," concludes his five-year stint with the UFC with a 6-7 record.

For a time, Jardine was one of the best prospects to come out the UFC/Spike TV reality series. He won four of his first five official UFC fights, and he scored victories over notables such as Forrest Griffin, Chuck Liddell and Brandon Vera.

However, beginning with a UFC 96 headliner against Quinton Jackson in early 2009, he dropped four straight fights. The "Fight of the Night" loss to Hamill, which came in the co-headliner of The Ultimate Fighter 11 Finale this past weekend, followed knockouts defeats to Thiago Silva and Ryan Bader.

Jardine, though, often volunteered for late bookings and substitutions, and his reported paydays often paled in comparison to competitors of similar stature. In fact, when he defeated former champ Liddell in the UFC 76 main event, he earned just $14,000 as his base pay.

Despite his recent setbacks, the Greg Jackson-trained fighter is unlikely to have trouble finding work. For example, rival promotion Strikeforce has minimal light-heavyweight talent, and the Japanese-based DREAM promotion soon will host a 205-pound grand prix in which he could be a solid entrant.

Additionally, White hasn't closed the door on Jardine returning to the organization at some point in the future, so he may compete in UFC-friendly organizations that host other UFC castoffs who are on the comeback trail.
Caught off guard by this news but then again, not really. I've always pegged Jardine "overrated" and living off a KO-win over washed up Liddell. Jardine being a Jackson fighter and part of the UFC's "in crowd" is why I am surprised he was cut. What I love about the UFC though...doesn't matter who you are or what you've done...perform or you're out. 6-7 in the UFC doesn't warrant anyone keeping their gig.

Jardine will be in that DREAM 205-pound grand prix real quick. His style will take him a long way in Japan and going the distance in the tournament is the fastest way to rebound his career.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Never liked him. Happy Trails though I guess.

Rice18

I'm emotionally vested in me.
Reaction score
I loved "The Dean of Mean" Keith Jardine. He is not great but he is getting up there in age as well its good they released him before he gets very embarrassed.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
It was his time to get out. Hes in decline and hes getting up there in age.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't remember when Jardine was on the rise...or even in his prime.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
a mod needs to merge the two topics. i should have looked before posting. anywho, i never liked him and he never really looked like hed be anything. good move.

Swag_Surfin

Reaction score
Jardine isnt the greatest fighter by any means. But one thing NO ONE can deny about him is he puts on a show. He gets out there and Brawls, where most peple just dance around and <Censored>. I never seen a boring Jardine fight

ZigZag

TEH GREAT ZIGGY
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jardine's a great guy and should do well in Japan. I hope the best for him

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%