DET - Leyland Doesn't Think Verlander is MVP

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Recently, Buster Olney has made it loud and clear that his choice for MVP this year is Justin Verlander, which is starting to spark a nice discussion around the sports world. Soon, you're probably going to see other analysts and former players vouching for Verlander, or possibly even vouching for Jered Weaver.

I've always been in favor of a pitcher receiving the MVP award if his season is just absolutely out of this world. The funny thing is, it hasn't happened in a while.

The most recent MVP who was a pitcher -- Dennis Eckersley, 1992. In fact, the 80-92 stretch saw numerous AL MVP Pitchers. Eckersley, Clemens, Willie Hernandez & Rollie Fingers.

Here's what Leyland had to say.

-- “I have a different viewpoint than that. I think there should be a Most Valuable Pitcher and Most Valuable Player. I don’t think a pitcher should be the Most Valuable Player. I’m not looking for arguments or controversy I just think when a guy goes out there 158 times or 155 times and has a big year, an MVP type year I don’t think the guy that goes out there 35 times should be named over that guy.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree with Jimmy. Though it would be cool as shit if Verlander got the MVP lol.
But I'll settle for Cy Young.

Reaction score
I'll agree that he's not the MVP, but as for Cy Young? Very likely he is. Interesting to see a manager come out and say that about a player though, I thought that was very classy.

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I actually agree with Leyland here. I mean, it just makes much more sense for a hitter to be the MVP because they play most games throughout the season while a pitcher comes out every 4-5 games. I just think that the Cy Young is an award for a reason; it's the pitchers MVP basically.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I agree that his numbers aren't good enough for an MVP award. Like you guys said ,the Cy Young is there for a reason. However, I think the MVP award should be given under rare circumstances. I mean, think about it.

1968 Bob Gibosn goes 22-9 with a 1.12 ERA, a .853 WHIP, and walks less than 2 batters per 9 innings. Did he not deserve the MVP award then?

Lake Louise

Reaction score
No matter the year the pitcher is having, i'll never be for Pitcher getting MVP. Cy Young is the pitchers MVP. They have their own MVP, the league MVP is for position players. I hate the "He should get Cy Young and MVP" argument. No, Cy Young is enough.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I just think the fact dudes are mentioning Verlander and MVP in the same sentence means he is that damn good lol.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
If your a pitcher and your going to win an MVP, you better have stats that look like that VV

1968 Bob Gibosn goes 22-9 with a 1.12 ERA, a .853 WHIP, and walks less than 2 batters per 9 innings. Did he not deserve the MVP award then?
Otherwise a player who only participates in around 30 games a year out of 162 should not win the award, Layland's only speaking the truth.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with Leyland.

When Buster was justifying his stance he brought up that the notion that pitchers can't be as valuable as position players was nonsense because pitchers face 800 batters in a season compared to 500 for a hitter.

I suppose he forgets that these guys also play defense too.

Not to mention that spreading out your production over 162 games is a lot more valuable than spreading it out over 35. The guy who gets a single in every game of the season is probably more valuable than the guy who hits 162 singles but has multiple multi-hit games.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
If your a pitcher and your going to win an MVP, you better have stats that look like that VV

Otherwise a player who only participates in around 30 games a year out of 162 should not win the award, Layland's only speaking the truth.
Im not disagreeing with what Leyland said.

You can say all you want about these players going out 150+ games, but don't forget that a lot of those games are 0/4. Verlander gets 30-34 starts and he goes out and consistently puts them in line to win.

spangar

Reaction score
He makes a great point with the part of only going out there 35 times a year

Rios15

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Under very rare circumstances, yes, a pitcher may deserve to win MVP. Especially if every start their giving their team the chance to win, then yes, they are very valuable to their team. But unless the pitchers statistics are absolutely amazing, nothing really beats a batter who goes out for almost every game of the season and puts their team in a position to win with the bat, and maybe even defensively as well.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Yeah, that's all i'm saying. I don't think Verlander is even close to MVP. I think to be an MVP as a pitcher, you need to have stats that are just beyond imaginable, similar to what a guy like Gibson did.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
To win MVP as a pitcher, you need to have an absolutely incredible year and there has to be no hitter with MVP numbers, but that isn't the case this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%