Could Chapman Start Next Season?

Reaction score
Reds pitching coach Bryan Price believes that left-hander Aroldis Chapman is ready to start for the team as early as next season.

"I can't guarantee anything because it will be an organizational decision," Price said. "However, I do think at some point he's going to have a chance to start. I think it's something we will definitely be looking at.

"He's filled a need for us. He helped last year late in the season and this year as the second left-hander to Billy Bray (out of the bullpen). That was a void. But I would think in the near future he'll be getting an opportunity to start.

"That was the intent when we initially signed him."

Price thinks starting works best because it would give him more time to work with Chapman in between starts.
http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/26934/20110903/could_chapman_start_next_season/

Chapman scares me as a starter. With his awkward throwing motion, I just don't think that he'd be able to pitch major innings every outing and not get hurt. He puts so much stress on his body when he pitches. Chapman is great, but he needs to work on some things before he becomes a starter.

Thoughts?

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Should have been a starter all along.

spangar

Reaction score
if he starts i dont think he'll be able to run them deep into the game which just means they will have to go to their bullpen earlier..idk im kind of ehh on it, let him work on some things more

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
start him and he'll have to really tone down that fastball velocity to avoid blowing out his arm. Keep him as a reliever. Thing that annoys me the most is teams going back and forth on pitchers. one year they're a reliever, next they're a starter, then back again. Yankees fucked it up with Joba, really hope Reds don't fuck it up with Chapman.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Should have been a starter all along.
THIS

I figured he would be then they use his great arm in the bullpen rather than having him pitching multiple innings and throw his arm off

But I mean might as well try it right

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
what annoys me is they claim they signed him intending to make him a starter. so why fuck around with him and put him the bullpen and then move him back to being a starter? stick to your plan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%