Breakout Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score

Position Players:

1. Asdrubal Cabrera, SS Cleveland Indians (.305 BA, 10 HR, 34 RBI)

Cabrera has quickly become the best all-around shortstop in the American League. He can hit, hit for power and steal bases. His quick hands and feet and strong arm allow him to have above average range to both sides. His quick hand transfer from glove to release is a treat to watch. Orlando Cabrera has been a good influence, encouraging him to swing for power. Cabrera is leading the Indians in almost every offensive category and should be the starting shortstop in the All-Star Game. He is one of the main reasons the Indians have gone from pretenders to contenders.

2. Jay Bruce, RF Cincinnati Reds (.288 BA, 14 RBI, 39 RBI)

Last year it was Joey Votto who broke out and became the National League MVP; this year, it's his teammate who is busting out. Bruce is quickly becoming one of the best all-around players and clutch hitters in the National League. Bruce is your classic five-tool player. He can run, hit, field, throw and hit for power. He also has the most important ingredient of a star player: phenomenal makeup. When he was a free agent, my scouting report said that someday he would be a Larry Walker-type player. I was wrong. I think he'll be even better. He wants to be up with the game on the line, and that's when he'll beat you.

3. Alex Avila, C Detroit Tigers (.285 BA, 8 HR, 28 RBI)

Avila has always been a top defensive catcher. He grew up in the game and is extremely intelligent. His ability to call a game, frame pitches and stop the running game are strengths. The big question was always about his bat and power. Tigers manager Jim Leyland always believed he would hit and felt the power the he showed in batting practice would eventually be seen in games. So far, he's been right as Avila is enjoying a breakout season.

4. Matt Joyce, RF Tampa Bay Rays (.377 BA, 8 HR, 27 RBI)

The Rays traded one of their top starting pitchers in December 2008 to the Tigers for Joyce. Joyce played in only 11 games for the Rays in 2009 and hit 10 home runs with 40 RBIs in 77 games last season. This year, with the departures of Carl Crawford and Carlos Pena, Joyce has been given an opportunity to play every day and has taken advantage of it, leading the AL in hitting.

5. Jed Lowrie, SS Boston Red Sox (.301, 21 runs, 21 RBI)

The Red Sox started the spring with Marco Scutaro as their starting shortstop, but two months into the season they have a new one in Jed Lowrie. Lowrie has always hit, but throughout his major league career has been hampered by injuries and lack of playing time. However, when the Red Sox started 2-10, and their offense wasn't clicking, Lowrie was given an opportunity and he's made the most of it.

Pitchers:

1. Alexi Ogando, RHP Texas Rangers (5-0, 1.81 ERA, 0.87 WHIP)

Last year, Alexi Ogando went from the Dominican summer league to the minors (for only 18 games) to helping the Rangers to the World Series as a setup reliever. Now, after only three professional starts at any level, he has been dominating the major leagues like an ace. His high-90s fastball and 86 mph hard, downward biting slider is flat-out missing bats. He's pounding the zone, going right at hitters and is not afraid. Ogando is second in the league in ERA and busting out.

2. Anibal Sanchez, RHP Florida Marlins (4-1, 2.60 ERA, 1.14 WHIP)

Sanchez is finally reaching his potential. His complete-game shutout on Thursday was pure dominance. He commanded all of his pitches, with late movement and explosion at the strike zone. His mid-90s fastball misses as many bats as his secondary pitches. He quickly has become one of the best pitchers in the National League. When Josh Johnson (DL) rejoins Sanchez and Ricky Nolasco in the rotation, it will give the Marlins one of the best rotation trios in the NL along with the Phillies, Braves, Giants and Cardinals.

3. Ian Kennedy, RHP Arizona Diamondbacks (6-1, 3.01 ERA, 1.04 WHIP)

A former first-round pick in 2006, Kennedy was once a top pitching prospect with the Yankees. But before he was given an opportunity to succeed for the Yankees, Kennedy was involved in the three-way deal that sent Curtis Granderson to New York. Kennedy started to breakout last year, going 9-10, but has taken it to another level this year.

4. Kyle McClellan, RHP St. Louis Cardinals (6-1, 3.11 ERA, 1.19 WHIP)

The Cardinals had a huge setback in spring training when perennial Cy Young candidate Adam Wainwright underwent Tommy John surgery. Manager Tony La Russa quickly decided to move McClellan from middle relief to the rotation. McClellan hasn't disappointed. The Cardinals have been able to stay on the top of the NL Central thanks in part to McClellan's breakout season.

5. Sergio Santos, RHP Chicago White Sox (2-1, 1.52 ERA, 8 SV, 1.06 WHIP)

Sergio was a shortstop in the Arizona, Toronto, Minnesota and Chicago White Sox systems until 2009, when he was converted to pitcher. Pitching for four minor league teams that year, he was 0-3 with a 8.16 ERA, moving his way from Kannapolis to Winston-Salem to Birmingham to Triple-A Charlotte, where he pitched a total of five innings, walking seven with an ERA of 9.00. The next year, in 2010, he arrived in the big leagues with the White Sox, pitching in 56 games and finishing with a 2.96 ERA -- including one save. Santos has become the White Sox's full-time closer, pounding the strike zone without fear, averaging 11.0 strikeouts per nine innings. His off-the-charts makeup, competitiveness, heart and soul is evident. A great story for the White Sox and an even better story for this year's breakout players.
From ESPN.

Who do you guys think is really breaking out and who do you think is just a pretender?

As a forewarning, when I call them a breakout player, I believe that they're going to be able to keep pace with what they're doing now and their numbers won't fall off much by the end of the season.

IMO, Jay Bruce, Ian Kennedy, Anibal Sanchez, and Sergio Santos are the true breakout players on this list.

Other guys, like Asdrubal, aren't necessarily pretenders, I just don't think the power is real. He's always been a pretty good player but he's on pace to hit 33 this season, which would be more than his career total up to this point.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
From ESPN.

Who do you guys think is really breaking out and who do you think is just a pretender?

As a forewarning, when I call them a breakout player, I believe that they're going to be able to keep pace with what they're doing now and their numbers won't fall off much by the end of the season.

IMO, Jay Bruce, Ian Kennedy, Anibal Sanchez, and Sergio Santos are the true breakout players on this list.

Other guys, like Asdrubal, aren't necessarily pretenders, I just don't think the power is real. He's always been a pretty good player but he's on pace to hit 33 this season, which would be more than his career total up to this point.
I don't think he'll hit 33 homers, but I do think he'll get 20+. He has always had pop, and gap power, but he always choked up on the bat up until this year, making it harder for him to hit homers. I'm not surprised with his average and defense though. He's been unknown by most people but he is a gold glove caliber SS and has always made good contact.

Don't know why Justin Masterson isn't on this list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%