Boise State to start '10 season at #2?

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Boise State Broncos finished at No. 4 this season after going 14-0, but New York Times writer Pete Thamel (via ESPN.com's Graham Watson) thinks Boise State might start next season at No. 2.

Here's why: "The Broncos return 21 of 22 players, plus the talented punter/kicker/fake punt executer Kyle Brotzman. Boise is 26-1 the past two seasons and has marquee games against Virginia Tech and Oregon State as proving grounds."

The Broncos beat TCU, 17-10, in the Fiesta Bowl but several fans and media members were disappointed that the two mid-major schools were matched up against each other. If Boise State starts out at No. 2 and goes undefeated, it might put them in the National Championship game.

It will be interesting to see how the preseason polls look. On one hand, Boise State returns nearly all of a team that finish No. 4 in the nation. On the other hand, voters have generally had a bias against mid-major schools.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
either jump conferences or schedule some REAL games and they would be ranked higher

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Exactly. I don't believe any of these non BCS schools should ever be ranked this high. Get into a BCS conference then you can get into the big bowl games and possibly the championship game if you go undefeated or have 1 loss.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
even if they start the season at 2, they'll keep going down due to strength of schedule is what I meant.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
either jump conferences or schedule some REAL games and they would be ranked higher
Boise tries to schedule hard teams, but many analysts such as former coach Jimmy Johnson have said publicly that Boise tries but teams don't accept their offers to play them. If a team beats Boise, it'll be discounted as a win vs a not so good team... And if they lose - it's an embarrassment.

Boise has done more than enough lately to get the benefit of the doubt. They've done everything within their own power to further themselves, and it's silly for them to not get recognized.

If you keep winning, it's hard for you to be knocked down, even if "strength of schedule" isn't so good (and they have a few good games scheduled this year)

I'm usually not for a tournament, but how about the top 4 at least?

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I dont care much for preseason rankings, they could rank Boise State 1 for all I care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%