Basic Backgrounds

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
What you need:
Adobe Photoshop 7.0 or higher
Brushes: grunge, abstract, misty, celestial
You can download brushes at places such as Deviant Art. (Check VC_Shoota3's thread for more infor).

STEP 1: Set-Up & Brushing

Make a new 400 wide x 150 high pixel document with a transparent background. Set the colors to black and white by hitting the D key on the keyboard.

1. Fill the current layer with black using the fill tool (you may also use the paint bucket).

2. Create a new layer by clicking on the new layer button.

3. Select a brush. Click on the flow option (this adjusts the speed at which the color comes out of the brush. Set the flow to around 50% for the first part).

4. Reverse the colors by hitting the X key now. Now, white should be selected instead of black.

5. Take the brush and click on the sig background (make sure you are brushing on layer 2). Only make 2-3 clicks in different spots.

6. Create a new layer by clicking the layer button again.

7. Select a different brush the same way as before. This time reduce the flow of the brush to around 30-45%.

8. Make sure layer three is selected and click a few more times over this layer. Feel free to click on top of previous brush strokes. Do whatever looks good (remember anything can be undone in photoshop by hitting the keys ctrl+alt+z).

9. Make another layer. Do the exact same brushing procedure as before on the past layers, but this time, select a new brush and reduce the flow by 5% this time. Click a few more times here and there.

STEP 2: Brightness/Contrast

1. Click on Layer 4. Now click on Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Brightness/Contrast. Click ok, then adjust the levels so they read Brightness:20 Contrast: 40 (or whatever settings look the best, and hit ok.)

2. Click on layer 4 again. Now go back and click Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Color Balance. Click ok.

3. Mess around with the sliders until the sig bg becomes an interesting color that looks good.

(optional):
You can add more colors to your BG by adding more of the Color Balance layers (One over each of your brushed layers. This will result in each of your brushed layers being a different color.) In order to do this, all you have to do is repeat the color balance layer step, but place one over each of your individual brushed layers.

STEP 3: Finishing Touches
Add a picture, add some more effects or filters to preference.

FAQs:
Q: "I'm trying to make the background have multi-colors, but everytime I change the Color Balance thing, the whole bg becomes that color so I can't get it to have more than one color..."
A: That is how the layers were set up for the multicolored sig. Make sure to have one of the color layers over each of the brushed layers. Just play around with the sliders until the best colors to you are captured (colors are going to be somewhat similar since they are on top of each other).

slpnsld23

Love Me or Hate Me
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
thank you! i will read this throughly later cuz i dont got time now

slpnsld23

Love Me or Hate Me
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i have PShop 6, will that still work?

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
some of the descriptions might be a little different --
if you have any questions when playing around with this tut, just PM or email me..

slpnsld23

Love Me or Hate Me
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
WHere is the flow option for brushes?

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
My photoshop 9 is expiring in 5 days. What program should I dl?

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
download it again - nothing is comparable

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
see if you can download an older version like ps7

LyRIKs

Holla if ya hate me
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As far as I know PS7 doesnt need for you to register it so it should work.

jarrod2323

The Godfather
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
nope, no registration needed - that's what I'm using

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%