A's call up Barry Zito from Triple-A — is MLB farewell vs. Tim Hudson next?

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
The only thing the Oakland Athletics have left to play for is staving off postseason elimination as long as possible, so why not give the people what they want? Why not jump into a pool of nostalgia and remember the good times?

So the A's on Wednesday called up Barry Zito, their former ace and Cy Young winner, from Triple-A Nashville. Zito, 37, had hoped for an MLB comeback this season when he signed a minor-league deal with the A's, the team that drafted him in the first round in 1999.

Instead, Zito spent the year in the minors. He was 8-7 with a 3.46 ERA, a solid contributor but not sparkling enough to warrant a big-league call-up. Until now, that is.

This is likely an MLB farewell for Zito. The A's with their shared history and his popularity in the Bay Area offered Zito the best chance to return to the big leagues. It would be a surprise if he tried again next season.

Here's perhaps the best wrinkle in this story: Zito could very well pitch his final game when the A's meet the San Francisco Giants next weekend and face former teammate Tim Hudson. Hudson and Zito, along with Mark Mulder, formed Oakland's formidable (and extremely popular) trio of pitchers early in the 2000s.

Hudson, 40, is set to retire at the end of the season. The Giants had already lineup a Sept. 26 start for Hudson in Oakland as a send-off. That prompted Hank Schulman, the longtime Giants scribe at the San Francisco Chronicle, to start campaigning for a Zito vs. Hudson matchup last week.

[Elsewhere: White Sox call on two position players to pitch in blowout loss to A's.]

Hudson has said he wants to see it happen too. He recently told the Chronicle's John Shea:

It would be some kind of storybook ending for both of our careers, for sure, said Hudson, who texted Zito before his final Triple-A appearance. I told him I was thinking about him and pulling for him. If that was something that could happen, it would be awesome.
Now the A's just need to do their part.

Setting the two of them up to face each other may not be the most thrilling September 2015 pitching matchup, but oh boy, would it great for nostalgia. And baseball fans would eat it up.

UPDATE: Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle is reporting the A's don't plan to use Zito as a starter, per assistant general manager David Forst. The concern is that Zito hasn't pitched enough recently one inning in the last six weeks to start. So our dreams of a Zito vs. Hudson matchup are probably dead.

Source: Yahoo Sports

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I wonder how slow his fastball is these days

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I didnt know Barry Zito was in the league actually, lol

I believe somewhat in moneyball principles, but one must not deny the fact that the A's had one of the best pitcher trio's of all-time in Zito, Hudson, and Mulder.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
And that's why the movie was dumb.

This is why most teams that play money ball have great young rotations.*

*Don't fact check that.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
New update, they will be facing each other on Saturday. Mulder will be there as well and they will be throwing out the first pitch on Sunday all three of them together.

Nice gesture done by the Athletics to do a little tribute to their Big 3.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I hope it's nationally televised. Grew up watching those 3 together in that rotation - good memories. 

Gtown81

Luke 23:34
Reaction score
def miss that trio, can't forget about a young Haren and Harden in the rotation as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%