• Jonas Valanciunas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rudy Gobert

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Gasol for EVERYTHING he brings to the table. Dwight might be the only Center in the league who can truly dominate both ends of the floor, but he doesn't do it enough anymore to make up for his shitty free throw shooting, sub-par passing, and tendency to pick up really stupid fouls. Marc Gasol may not have the post game or the defensive tenacity, but he's close enough in those aspects that his passing ability and the fact that he won't lose you a game at the free throw line takes him over the top.

As for Boogie, i need to see him playing games that actually mean something. Volume stats are much less impressive than winning stats. Look at Kevin Love. 

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I understand why people would take Gasol over Cousins. The two are very close for me, and there are many factors that would tip me in Gasol's direction, but I just can't get behind the wins argument.

When was the last time there was a playoff team not only led by a center, but had such an absurd talent disparity between him and the rest of his supporting cast? If you removed Cousins, there might be one player in the league that could take the Kings to the playoffs by himself.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nobody is talking playoffs, just eclipsing 30 wins. 30 wins is not even asking you to be below average, it's asking you to be bad just not so bad that you're getting the first three picks in the draft.

I bring up the argument again, there are a few guys that might not be as TALENTED as Cousins, but they are MORE IMPACTFUL than him. They would eclipse 30 wins with what Cousins has been given to work with, and probably get over 35 wins as well.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's a decent chance the Kings would have fallen somewhere between 35-40 wins last season had Cousins not missed a good chunk of the first month or two, and Malone kept his job.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It's all relative, same scenario where do they fall with Gasol? They are getting more wins regardless.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I really don't think they do much better with Gasol. I think the team and franchise is that dysfunctional. And while he brings much more defensively, Cousins is wayyy better on the other end.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i dont think they do much better hut gasol would lead them a whole lot better and that would be a huge step in the right direction for the team.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Cousins is right up at the top with that dysfunction, which is exactly one of the points I'm making. Not only is Gasol more impactful for the entire team, but he would bring a culture to the team that Cousins won't. Obviously a player can't control what happens upstairs, but they can definitely instill a culture in the locker room and on the court.

I'd also stop WELL short of saying Cousins is wayyyy better offensively. It's sort of a mirage. Cousins has the luxury (if you want to call it that) of playing for a team that really force feeds him the ball. You have some really high usage bigs in the NBA, and Cousins blows all of them out the water. The 2nd highest usage center behind Cousins is Al Jefferson (depending on how you view Bosh) and he came in at nearly 8% lower than Cousins. We all know how much Lamarcus Aldridge, the highest used PF, had the ball in his hands and yet he was over 4% lower. Gasol? He comes in at 8.3% lower than Cousins.

Couple that with how unselfish Gasol is? Yes, it would appear that Cousins is way better, but I don't buy that. Cousins, whether this is indicative on him or the team...probably both, plays a selfish "me" brand of basketball that makes for volume stats. Gasol plays a team game, and it's incredibly effective because he makes everyone around him better. I'd also venture to say Gasol is more skilled in the post, he's a better dive man, and he can step out and be more reliable from midrange than Cousins. Obviously a much better passer.

And pugz, last season the Pels brought in guys like Quincy Pondexter and Norris Cole, two guys who had played very competitive basketball and have seen first hand what it takes to be competitive in the league. Don't underestimate the difference those kinds of guys make. Neither are world beaters, but they came in and ramped up the intensity and suddenly the defensive rotations got more sound and crisp, the rebounding got better, the individual defense improved. The Pelicans defense went from like the mid to late 20's to the early teens just because these guys brought a culture this team didn't have before. It was key to our late season playoff run. Gasol would be huge for Sacramento.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Im gonna switch my vote. I didn't think of the whole put Boogie on Memphis scenario. That team certainly would get worst and the Kings probably do get a few more wins with Gasol.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I think Cousins is without a doubt the most talented center, but not the most impactful. He needs direction in his career, and I don't think he's going to get that in Sacramento.

buzzy

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I just don't think Cousins has ever had a comparable situation in his career like Marc had. A good system, tough, defensive minded players that complement him, and coaches and teammates that stay with him for more than a year.

I don't think the Grizzlies would have a major dropoff if they switched places nor do I think the Kings would come close to playoff contention.

But I'm not voting this round. To close to call

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I'm surprised Dwight Howard isn't getting more love, and I fucking HATE the guy.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
I absolutely can't justify taking Gasol over a healthy Dwight

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
Wasn't Bware in here all year and last year claiming Dwight was better than ever too? Because Orlando Dwight would be #1 in this so easily lol

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:
I don't think Dwight has truly been healthy the last few seasons lol

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
CameronCrazy06 said:

Dwight Howard is better between stoppages of play, but when he can't shoot FTs at any kind of respectable clip, and that causes Houston to lose games, it has to be taken into consideration, imo.

dez

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Boogie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%