Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Whatever circumstance that may get in the way of rebuilding the New Orleans Hornets back into a contender, San Antonio Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich says Dell Demps will overcome it.

And if anyone knows, it's Popovich, who for the past five years has watched Demps emerge as a rising executive in Spurs organization as vice president of basketball operations.

Trying to follow the same blueprint of the four-time NBA champion Spurs, Hornets President Hugh Weber hired Demps last week to lead their basketball operations department as general manager.

Popovich praised Weber's hiring as a "master stroke."

"He's been involved in everything with our team and has done the whole package,'' Popovich said. "He has sat in our coaching and film sessions. He understands and will be inclusive, will share opinions, ask for advice, will be participatory and make it fun -- at the same time he does a great job.''

The Hornets are hoping under Demps' leadership and Coach Monty Williams' coaching, they can be as successful as the 2007-08 season, when they won a franchise-record 56 games and advanced to the second round of the playoffs. They were eliminated by the Spurs.

Demps, 40, and Williams, 38, are former teammates with the Spurs, and they plan to collaborate and use most of the things they learned in San Antonio.

"I don't know how it's going to work out, but we love people that come from success,'' Williams said.

"I think everything (in San Antonio) starts with R.C. (Buford) and Popovich, and they put their ego and pride aside to get the job done. They are two guys that are not caught up in themselves, and you also have to bring in the owner, Peter Holt. He is a guy that supports the stuff.''

Everything, however, is not in place with the Hornets like it was with San Antonio. The ownership transfer of George Shinn selling his majority share to partner Gary Chouest has not been finalized, and there is no set target date.

New Orleans also has little room under the luxury tax threshold because of large contracts held by Peja Stojakovic (in the final year that will pay him $15.3 million), Emeka Okafor (four years, $52 million) and James Posey (two years, $13.3 million).

Three-time All-Star point guard Chris Paul has become disgruntled about the franchise's slow movement in free agency, with backup Aaron Gray being their only signee.

Paul's new agent, Leon Rose, is gauging interest from various teams that could seek to obtain Paul in trade.

Demps' first official day at work is Monday. On the same day, he will have a crucial meeting with Paul, which will include Weber and Williams.

They plan to explain to Paul their intentions for the short- and long- term and listen to his concerns.

Those problems did not sway Demps from taking the job, even though he had an offer from the Phoenix Suns to become their general manager.

"From the moment I spoke to Hugh and Monty about this opportunity, I could tell something was special building within the organization,'' Demps said in a statement. "I am excited for this opportunity because the Hornets are a great organization with a lot of positive pieces.''

The Hornets interviewed six candidates in a five-day span after mutually agreeing to part ways with Jeff Bower. Weber said Demps shined as a rising star from what he accomplished in San Antonio.

"Beginning with the hiring of Coach Monty Williams, we've begun a path of building our basketball operations with people we feel are going to be the best in the business, and Dell Demps certainly fits into that category," Weber said.

With complete authority over basketball operations, Demps will begin thoroughly evaluating the entire department Monday. On Thursday, five employees were fired, including long-time scouts Kip Bass and Kelly Bass.

Demps, who also was the general manager of the Spurs' NBA Development team, joins a line of former Spurs players and basketball operations executives that have moved on to other franchises. They include former assistant general manager Sam Presti, who is now the Oklahoma City Thunder General Manager, former Spurs guard Steve Kerr, who is the former general manager of the Phoenix Suns, former Spurs player and executive Danny Ferry, who was the Cleveland Cavaliers general manager before resigning after they were knocked out of the playoffs this season, and now Demps.

"He's very bright, very creative,'' Spurs General Manager R.C. Buford said. "He developed the team in Austin, allowing us to find good young talent, developed them and was instrumental in organizing our pro player personnel system. I'm excited about the opportunities all these guys have received.''
This is great to here from a coach like Pop.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well it's not like he is going to say the guy sucks.. He worked with him.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well it's not like he is going to say the guy sucks.. He worked with him.
It's Pop we're talking about, he's going to say what he really believes. Besides, if he wasn't telling the truth, why would have he opened his mouth in the first place? Whether Demps is a good GM or not, doesn't make any difference to the Spurs or Pop.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Pop also praised Mike Brown and he is a horrible coach

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
eh, nola youre a homer. haha. dans right. pop isnt going to bash him.

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
eh, nola youre a homer. haha. dans right. pop isnt going to bash him.
I know I know. But hey, I'm one of many on SI.

But still, Demps has what it takes to be a great GM, and he's off to a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%