Yankees Will Talk To C.J. Wilson

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Yankees have already re-signed CC Sabathia, but GM Brian Cashman has continued to say that pitching will be his top priority this offseason. He told Dan Martin of The New York Post that although they haven't spoken to C.J. Wilson yet, they will at some point.

“We haven’t talked to him yet, but we will,” said Cashman. “[The Rangers] have won a lot and he’s been a big part of that, so we’ll certainly talk to him.”

“I wouldn’t say [it's a factor]," added Cashman when asked about Wilson's poor postseason showing. "He’s a very talented pitcher, who’s shown he can perform in a hitters’ environment in Texas.”

Cashman acknowledged that Wilson is the best pitcher on the free agent market yesterday, though he also said the price might not be right after bringing back Sabathia. Bob Garber, Wilson's agent, said he and his client will remain open-minded during the free agent process and is willing to talk to New York.

"His body of work speaks for itself,” said Garber. “He’s a No. 1 starter and he’s proven himself on a big stage. There’s no reason he couldn’t do that in New York, so we’re open-minded and that would include the Yankees in the process."

Wilson, 31 later this month, highlights an underwhelming crop of free agent starters after posting back-to-back seasons with 200+ IP and a sub-3.40 ERA. The southpaw recently said there's a "great chance" he remains with the Rangers, but in recent weeks we've heard that the Yankees view him as more of a mid-rotation guy rather than a frontline starter.

lonesomefx

The Loud Mouth Pacer
Reaction score
i would love to nab CJ and have another good lefty in our rotation.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Even though I like CJ Wilson, I think I'd rather take a risk on Yu Darvish. Greater upside at 25 years old. More years left. But he obviously has bigger bust potential as well. Not like the money matters to the Yanks anyway, either.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Just driving up the price. I'd be surprised to see them sign CJ.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I doubt that CJ will sign with New York...but you never know what could happen

I wonder exactly what will happen to him. but the yanks will try to talk to everyone that could possibly help

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Frpm:REALGM
Yankees Make Introductory Contact With Agent For Wilson, Oswalt

The Yankees have already checked in with the agent for free-agent pitchers C.J. Wilson and Roy Oswalt.

"I'm in the process of talking with everybody," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "That's the way the routine works."

Cashman made contact Friday with agent Bob Garber, who represents both pitchers, as part of the his initial sweep through the free agent market.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I doubt that CJ will sign with New York...but you never know what could happen

I wonder exactly what will happen to him. but the yanks will try to talk to everyone that could possibly help
I wouldn't see many players turning down the Yankees but it just depends I suppose, I could see him playing for New York, guess time will tell.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
I don't think we have any interest in Oswalt or Wilson whatsoever. There's no way Cash would be this vocal about what he's doing if he really had interest.

The only time you have to be worried about the Yankees is when they're not talking, not if they are.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Agent: Wilson Would 'Thrive' In New York

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman checked in with the agent for left-hander C.J. Wilson over the weekend as he begins to assess the free agent market.

Wilson's agent, Bob Garber, believes that Wilson and his gregarious personality would "thrive" in New York.

"He is one of those guys who would fit in there very well," Garber said. "He would fit in most places pretty well. New York, I think he would thrive in a city like that.

"His No. 1 priority is that he wants to play for a winning team. The Yankees have as good or better a reputation of that than anybody. It is very early in the process. We're just waiting and sitting back to see how it plays out."

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
he actually would fit pretty well there. His groundball % is higher than the 2010 mlb average (frangraph's isn't updated to 2011 yet) and his flyball % is lower. Linedrive % is just slightly higher but not by much.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't think we have any interest in Oswalt or Wilson whatsoever. There's no way Cash would be this vocal about what he's doing if he really had interest.

The only time you have to be worried about the Yankees is when they're not talking, not if they are.
any ideas who they would target?

im sorry, but the yankees need some starters. they really got away with that staff this year

garcia, bartolo, nova all overachieved
and hughes is a big question mark

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
any ideas who they would target?

im sorry, but the yankees need some starters. they really got away with that staff this year

garcia, bartolo, nova all overachieved
and hughes is a big question mark
It's pure speculation on my part, but I think Yu is who we really want. He's the youngest guy out there who has the ability to be a front-line starter.

I think Cash knows that the window with this core is rapidly closing which is why he's been so hesitant to deal the young guys going all the way back to the Johan trade stuff. Now that George is gone I think he wants to build the team in a more conventional way with young talent from the farm and kind of create a new "Core Four" to lead our franchise for the next 10+ years. I think he's tired of cycling through over-the-hill 30+ year old's in FA and wants to make FA signings that make sense for the team, not just signing a top guy because we can.

You know that if prime George Steinbrenner was the owner of this team he would be doing anything in his power to bring Albert to NY just because he could, not because it made baseball sense.

I hope all of that made sense, I was kinda just rambling lol

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It does make sense

Hank actually seems like he would pull a George in that sense but, thankfully for you guys, I don't think he has the type of presence to force that to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%