Who would you rather face in the ALDS: Detroit, or Texas?

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
The Sox and Yanks will be in the playoffs as the best two teams in the AL. As of now the Sox would play Detroit, and Yanks play Texas.

Which team, Texas or Detroit, is a more scary opponent to face in the ALDS?
*lets try to keep the homerism down as best as possible Michigan natives* lol

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Texas all around I'd say is better then Detroit, but Texas isn't even a lock for the playoffs.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
I'd rather face Texas, for the reason of Justin Verlander on the Tigers.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
He can't pitch every game

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
That Texas lineup scares the shit out of me. Detroit.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd take my chances in the other 3 games without Verlander instead of having to face the Rangers who are just a better all around team. And even though Verlander has been great this year, he's not unbeatable.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
I'd take my chances in the other 3 games without Verlander instead of having to face the Rangers who are just a better all around team. And even though Verlander has been great this year, he's not unbeatable.
Well yeah nobody is unbeatable but i'll take my chances against the Rangers starting rotation with the Yankees powerful lineup.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I basically agree with whats stated, Texas' lineup is really scary.

And as scary as Verlander is, he has not been as "hot" lately. He has a 3.25 ERA since August.

Also, his stats are somewhat misleading. Hitters hit .127 versus Verlander when there are two strikes. But the Yanks and Sox are #1 and #2 in the MLB in walks. They dont chase a lot of pitches. Hitters hit .291 versus Verlander when there are more balls than strikes in the count, including a .385 batting average in 3-1 counts.

The Sox and Yanks could hit him up.

Yankees2772

RIP Derek Boogaard
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Small sample size, I know... But the Tigers are 1-3 against the Sox/Yanks with Verlander on the mound this year.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
i dont understand why Verlander is getting so overhyped this year

is he awesome? yeah
is the the unanimous cy young? yeah

is CC great? yup
is Lester great? uh huh

are those guys just as capable to match Verlander 0 for 0? YES

I'd rather play the Tigers
the Rangers with all those lefties can be dangerous at Yankee Stadium and against the lefty heavy Sox

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I hope people would rather face the Tigers ;)

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I hope people would rather face the Tigers ;)
Me too. Love the underdog mentality, especially with the way this team has been hitting lately. I think they are capable of beating any team with good offense and decent pitching. I also think come playoff time, Fister will be the #2 pitcher. Scherzer being #3 & Porcello #4

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Underdogs don't have a 100 million dollar payroll

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
If Filthy Fister continues to pitch how he is now, I like our odds against anyone.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Underdogs don't have a 100 million dollar payroll
I don't see many giving them a chance... So they must be an underdog and they will most likely have to play the Yankees or Red Sox to begin, so they definitely will be just that regardless of what their payroll is.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
They won't be favorites but I see no reason that a 100 million dollar payroll team should have an underdog mentality or be considered one.. The only true underdog/Cinderella story in the playoffs is the Dbacks.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
They won't be favorites but I see no reason that a 100 million dollar payroll team should have an underdog mentality or be considered one.. The only true underdog/Cinderella story in the playoffs is the Dbacks.
If they aren't favorites then they must be considered the underdog, at least when it comes to the Red Sox/Yankees they sure will be. I can see what you are saying about the Dbacks, but I look at any team as an underdog that nobody gives a chance. There's a lot of underdogs, only a few possible cinderella stories, Dbacks being one of them. That's just the way I look at it.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Chea, way I see underdogs is basically the team in which people generally will not pick to win.
DBacks would be more Cinderella-esque.

Detroit would be underdogs to Boston and New York.

This is quite stupid to argue bout though.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Most believe Texas is scarier team to face. Out of the 4 teams, Tigers are the 4th best. We went 4-3 vs. Yanks, 6-3 vs. Rangers, 1-5 vs. Boston(The 1 win Verlander pitched). Boston is the match-up that scares me the most. Boston & Texas have gone back and forth this year, but the "easier" team to face, would be Detroit.

Yes, Verlander isn't unbeatable, but let's say Tigers win the 1st game, they'd need one pitcher to have a solid game, to get a Game 5, with JV pitching. I think Tigers are capable of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%