Verlander Win 17 of Season and 100 of Career

spangar

Reaction score
Justin Verlander gave Detroit exactly what it needed, becoming baseball’s first 17-game winner as the division-leading Tigers beat the host Indians, 4-3, to avoid being swept and open a three-game lead in the American League Central over second-place Cleveland on Thursday night.

Verlander (17-5) allowed three hits and struck out 10 in seven innings to earn career win No. 100 as the Tigers ended a 13-game losing streak in Cleveland. He was also on the mound for Detroit’s previous win at Progressive Field on May 8, 2010.

In taking the series finale, the Tigers kept some distance over the Indians, who trimmed one game off Detroit’s lead over the past three days. The teams will play 10 more times this season, including a season-ending three-game series at Comerica Park from Sept. 26 to 28.

Fausto Carmona (5-12) gave the Indians a solid outing, but they could not do enough against Verlander, who was in control once again in what has been a Cy Young Award-caliber season.
Verlander is in first place in all the major pitching stats except for ERA behind Weaver and Beckett. I was kind of doubtful of Verlander at the beginning of the season but he has definitely proven himself this season. He is in a close race for the Cy Young Award and it would be awesome if a Tiger picked it up this year.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Verlander is in first place in all the major pitching stats except for ERA behind Weaver and Beckett. I was kind of doubtful of Verlander at the beginning of the season but he has definitely proven himself this season. He is in a close race for the Cy Young Award and it would be awesome if a Tiger picked it up this year.
told ya :D and yea hope he wins the cy young.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
Could be just me, but it seemed like he got 10 K's very quietly. I mean, I know he averages around 7-8 per outing but double digits usually gets a big deal out of it, but it seemed rather ho hum with the other stuff around it(ML leading 17th win, 100th career, and extending the division lead).

This is easily his best year and I would be absolutely livid if he didn't get Cy Young.

spangar

Reaction score
Could be just me, but it seemed like he got 10 K's very quietly. I mean, I know he averages around 7-8 per outing but double digits usually gets a big deal out of it, but it seemed rather ho hum with the other stuff around it(ML leading 17th win, 100th career, and extending the division lead).

This is easily his best year and I would be absolutely livid if he didn't get Cy Young.
they were saying his era is kinda high compared to the other players.. cause weaver has like a 1.6 somethin i think and JV in 2.65 or something around that..thats not even bad tho so hopefully the realize that. and he pretty much carriers the Tigers lol..if we had a pitching staff we could make a run for it but we would get rocked against teams who can hit the ball when JV not pitching.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%