USA Soccer.

sheed

Hi.
Reaction score
I can't believe AC Milan lost to DC United. Although, all of Milan's top players weren't there due to the World Cup.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I don't hate the US.

I just find it weird, funny almost, that Americans expect to excel in this sport.
I think it comes from the fact that as Americans, when we get involved in a sport we want to dominate. Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Olympic sports. I think that someone do overrate the USA team, but we are getting there and I think team usa will continue to get better and be recognized as an elite team someday.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
I would agree. Having a strong league is vital in terms of giving young players a stepping stone to greater things which I think it's doing. You have some pretty good players. I don't like Donovan as a person, but he handled himself brilliantly at Everton last season. I think he's wasting his time in LA but it's always nice to know that you're league can hold on to one or two of your country's best players. Some of your players have a bit of an attitude problem (Jozy Altidore...) but I think generally you have a good wealth of young players making it at European clubs, which can only be a good thing.

You're just not there yet, and breaking into the footballing elite is much harder than any other sport imo.

I certainly think that US are better than Australia at the moment, although the friendly we have coming up will be close. Should be a good game.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I think when its all said and done what will put us over the top is an elite player. A representative of the sport that can trascend the sport in the US. It would give soccer here a ton of exposure and bring a lot of new fans. Hopefully it would be an attrative one to get the ladies to go to games, lol.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
wasn't that what Beckham was supposed to be?

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Im sorry but Beckham wasnt an elite player in my eyes. And I meant an American born elite player who would make the team a true contender for the Cup for a while.

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
If you don't consider Beckham an elite player...I don't know what to say to you.

He's a world class player and it's shown by the fact that a club like AC Milan will still go out of their way to tie him up on loan, not to mention but for his injury he still would have been in England's World Cup squad.

The problem is, the average American expects that he'll score a goal every game, and dominate. They don't understand the game and so have lofted expectations of him. Even though his technique, vision and reading of the game is a mile ahead of every other player in that league, one player certainly doesn't do it all, especially at his age, and with the sort of team he is playing in. When he doesn't meet these stupid expectations, people cast him as a failure, and lose interest.

And anyone thinking Beckham was the first elite player to go to the US is kidding themselves. Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and George Best have ALL played in the US to no avail. The interest, appreciation and understanding of the game just isn't there.

The US needs way more than one elite player to have a shot at the World Cup. There is no such thing as a one man team.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
We dont need a foreign born player here in the US to make it popular. We need an American born player and obviously one player doesnt make a team. Like I said in my post, to contend for the Cup. David Beckham wasnt even that great when he was playing in the MLS and he didnt even want to be here at the end. He said all these lies about how he was going to make soccer popular and he didnt accomplish anything here.

Dorado

LiveLoveA$AP
Reaction score
you cant blame beckham though.....

americans just arent interested in soccer as the rest of the world is.....

what a shame :(

mg91

Mr. Man Utd
Reaction score
We dont need a foreign born player here in the US to make it popular. We need an American born player and obviously one player doesnt make a team. Like I said in my post, to contend for the Cup. David Beckham wasnt even that great when he was playing in the MLS and he didnt even want to be here at the end. He said all these lies about how he was going to make soccer popular and he didnt accomplish anything here.
I don't mean to be a prick, but do you have the infrastructure to produce a player of that calibre? If you're talking about a player that will carry you into a WC semi or quarter, you're talking a Cristiano Ronaldo type player.

If you ask me, what is truly flawed in the US development scheme, from what I have read, is that the best academies are so expensive only middle class white players can afford to take part in them. It's sort of the same in Australia, players with a lot of money tend to get the better coaching and go and play in these bull<Censored> trials, and the players who might be better but not as rich go ignored until they hit 16 or so, meaning they've missed out on 5 years where they are at a a critical stage.

In the U.S you have a host of latin and hispanic kids, but they can't afford to join these fancy academies. In my opinion that is the sub section of society where your great player will come from if he does, but at the moment the education isn't available to these players.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Yea I can agree with those statements. I think if we give it time we will get there, just look at how much we have vastly improved in a matter of 15 years. With the introduction of the MLS and new young bright stars in the league and the constant improvement of the USA team in international play. We beat Spain the #1 team in the world for Gods sake. Our future is very bright.

Mauersota

Reaction score
All I can hope for is that soccer in the US continues to grow its a great sport.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
USA faces South Africa today. And also Brazil vs. Argentina which should be a lot of fun. Cant wait to watch that it starts 12pm EST.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
USA faces Canada in the first game for the Gold Cup. I expect us to play very well after getting an ass kicking of 4-0 against Spain.

BlueNation

Reaction score
Juergen Klinsmann is the new coach for the men. I liked Bob Bradley, I understand why he would have gotten fired, and I'm very happy with Klinsmann.
Both national teams are coached by foreigners.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Yeah, I was never really a fan of Bradley. I really like that they're bringing in Klinsmann. I think he'll do well here.

BlueNation

Reaction score
Maybe we can finally get rid of Altidore, I fucking hate him. At least not start him, what a pathetic excuse for a striker. He doesn't produce on the national level.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Im happy Klinsmann is the coach as well, this shouldve happened a long time ago. But Im glad it happened now so that is great is because its going to be great for the team and I think we are going to play better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%