Tyreke Evans to be named ROTY

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As Tom Ziller reported earlier Tuesday, Tyreke Evans will be named the 2010 Rookie of the Year. I didn’t want to post anything involving Tom’s breaking news until I could verify it myself (not a knock on Tom… just my own paranoia about this stuff) but sources have confirmed the story from Sactown Royalty is true. A press conference for Thursday is believed to be when the news will be officially announced by the team.

(Update: Jason Jones of the Sacramento Bee is also confirming the news)

While having some very serious competition throughout the season from guys like Stephen Curry and Brandon Jennings, Tyreke was the only rookie that exhibited brilliance over the course of the entire season. He showed flashes as early as the second game of the season when he went toe-to-toe with Chris Paul and left with the All-Star’s complete respect. Then he took control of the franchise as the third youngest player in the NBA from the sixth game of the season until the final game.

Over the course of this season, he took on the opposing team’s best perimeter defender every night for the entire campaign and still ended up being the fourth player in NBA history to average 20 points, five rebounds, and five assists in a rookie season. To top that off, he showed the ability to develop into an elite defender one day with his size, quickness and go-go gadget wingspan.

Congratulations to Tyreke Evans and the Sacramento Kings for having the best rookie of the 2009-2010 NBA season.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b-sXDxASEAg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b-sXDxASEAg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
How is this news?

This is common knowledge

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
honestly, just like the durant/horford; i dont know if id pick the better player/scorer. bj helped lead one of the worst teams from last season into a playoff team and a good seed. they werent expected to be close to the playoffs this season.

i guess people only care about personal stats though, so reke should win.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
honestly, just like the durant/horford; i dont know if id pick the better player/scorer. bj helped lead one of the worst teams from last season into a playoff team and a good seed. they werent expected to be close to the playoffs this season.

i guess people only care about personal stats though, so reke should win.
No, John Salmons led them to the playoffs. And Reke is the 4th rookie IN HISTORY to average 20/5/5. You can't not give it to him.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Whose Tyreke Evans? Never heard of him.... did he make the playoffs?

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
NO. They were in the playoffs before john got there. my point is a rookie point who wasnt seen as a leader and a ball hog helped hold down the point. like i said, roty and even mvp isnt about team success anymore..

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
You don't deserve ROY if you shoot 37% from the field, sorry, that's just flat out garbage..

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
No, John Salmons led them to the playoffs. And Reke is the 4th rookie IN HISTORY to average 20/5/5. You can't not give it to him.
Salmons didnt lead them to the playoffs. If its one person its bogut.

Reke averaged 20/5/5 yeah...but as ball dominant as he is..he should.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
dont get me wrong, im not saying reke shouldnt have roty. but the way the voting is now a days makes me kinda pissed.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
he split with a piston though ;)

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
I dont even think Jennings is that good. He shoots way too many shots and doesnt shoot for a high percentage like cheato said.

.GR

#BlackFalcon
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Reke averaged 20/5/5 yeah...but as ball dominant as he is..he should.
But it's not like he had a bad shooting percentage just chucking up shots...

Blake

I'm goin' lamb bruh.
Reaction score
Stats now mean more than anything, thanks to ESPN.

The Young One

The Champion
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
But it's not like he had a bad shooting percentage just chucking up shots...
He doesnt have a bad shooting percentage...yeah but he drives more than he shoots because reke is so physical in the paint. I mean you followed the kings religiously this year..and im sure even you heard the rumors of reke teammates thought he was hogging at certain points.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Jason Kidd...won it and shot 38 percent from the floor.
Still don't see why Jennings should win it at 37%.. Was there a full time starter with a lower %? Plus Reke put up stats that rookies never put up.

VC15

Reaction score
Still don't see why Jennings should win it at 37%.. Was there a full time starter with a lower %? Plus Reke put up stats that rookies never put up.
Off the top of my head, I know that Yi was about that bad. He shot about 38-39%.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Rookie of the Year Award will be given to Tyreke Evans of the Sacramento Kings later this week.

Milwaukee Bucks Head Coach Scott Skiles believes his rookie point guard, Brandon Jennings, should have won the award. However, Skiles was more than understanding on why the voters chose Evans.

"Those [Jennings, Evans, Stephen Curry] were the three guys that stood out," Skiles said prior to Game 5 against the Hawks. "Each person that votes has their own criteria. All I can say is, I find it hard to believe there's any rookie that has been more valuable to their team than Brandon has been."

"But how can you argue with what Tyreke did or what Curry did," he said. "Those guys had great years as well."

"We're obviously partial to Brandon," Skiles continued. "Our belief that it's something he should have won. The problem is if you say that too much then it seems like the guy that did win isn't good enough and I certainly don't want to say that."

Evans averaged 20.1 PPG, while grabbing over five rebounds and dishing out five assists per contest.

Jennings averaged 15.5 PPG and 4.0 APG, but was the only one of three players to lead his team to the playoffs. Jennings also started in all of Milwaukee's 82 games.

$tunna

teejus
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Reke deserved it. I'm surprised no one mention steph in this convo. Dude did just as much for his team as anyone else. Reke just played the biggest role and shined in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%