Trainer: Kaepernick Is More Athletic Than Newton

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
NFL.com - Chip Smith, founder of Duluth, Ga.-based Competitive Edge Sports, has spent considerable time with both Cam Newton and Colin Kaepernick.

Smith believes Kaepernick holds a slight athletic edge over Newton.

"They're a lot alike in terms of being really special, and they're both extremely athletic," Smith said.

"But Colin is actually a little bit better athletically. He's a little faster -- I've clocked him as low as a 4.4 (-second runner in the 40-yard dash) -- and there isn't a quarterback in this draft who throws the ball with the velocity that Colin does. Colin is a better athlete, and he understands the game better."

kam.

Mr. Blackmon
Reaction score
I've said this before, and got shot in the ass for it.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There's more to athleticism than how fast you can run. You have to take into account strength, vertical, agility, quickness, explosiveness, fluidity, flexibility and change of direction. If you combine all of those qualities, I'm not sure if I'd agree with this opinion. Kaep is a great athlete though.

Mooche

Reaction score
There's more to athleticism than how fast you can run. You have to take into account strength, vertical, agility, quickness, explosiveness, fluidity, flexibility and change of direction. If you combine all of those qualities, I'm not sure if I'd agree with this opinion. Kaep is a great athlete though.
Thank you. +1 Jakeh.

Cam Newton is not faster, and lacks the straight line speed that Colin has.. Does that make him LESS of an athlete? I mean, it depends what you describe as an athlete. I think both are flashy, but Cam also has the skill-set, to put his shoulder down and get a few extra yards if needed. More so, IMO, than a guy like Kap.

Both are amazing athletes though, don't get me wrong.

TTN2810

Reaction score
I'd trust the trainer on this one. He has worked with both of them.

Not to mention you forgot this part of the article:

via NFL.com
"Of the 56 quarterbacks I've worked with, Colin is the most prepared for the NFL," Smith said. "I've never seen the kind of complete package like Colin Kaepernick has."

Smith believes that questions concerning the level of play that Kaepernick faced in college won't hinder his development and the quarterback will make an immediate impact in the NFL.

"I think Colin is game-ready to step in and play," Smith said. "He has the physical package, and the arm and he's very intelligent. He understands the mental aspect of it."
Sound familiar :p

Mooche

Reaction score
I'd trust the trainer on this one. He has worked with both of them.

Not to mention you forgot this part of the article:

via NFL.com

Sound familiar :p
Alright, and that is his opinion.. Athlete is a very open ended type of statement when it comes to these two guys. :p

TTN2810

Reaction score
Yes, but the whole knowledge of the game, and just being very ready, that's what I see.
And I like that I'm finally hearing that from a guy who has worked with a prospect like Newton.
Take out the athlete part, and he clearly like Kaepernick better as a player.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%