Toney vs Couture Will Be HW Fight

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
There’s been a lot of discussion about the upcoming fight at UFC 118 between Randy Couture and heavyweight boxing champion James Toney about at what weight the two will fight.

Reports have bounced back and forth between it being a straight up heavyweight fight or a catchweight agreement.

Toney, however, says he is a heavyweight fighter, not a catchweight fighter, and that’s what weight class he’ll be fighting in on Aug. 28.

“Everybody want to talk about the weight. It don’t make sense. James Toney is the heavyweight champion of the world in boxing, and heavyweight means any weight right?” said Toney when appearing on MMAWeekly Radio. “So we’re going to have this fight at my weight. I’m the heavyweight. I can come in what I want to come in at.”

Couture has bounced back and forth in his career from heavyweight to light heavyweight, while Toney has been a boxing champion in several different weight classes, most recently in the heavyweight division.

Toney feels that if Couture signed his name on the dotted line, then he needs to show up for the fight, and stop worrying about weight classes.

“If they’ve got a problem with it, they shouldn’t have signed to fight,” Toney stated. “If they big and bad, and Dana said he’s going to give me a legend, then put your man in there. Let’s do it.”

Toney comes to the UFC after going 3-0-1 in his last four fights in boxing, and currently holds the IBA and NABO heavyweight titles.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Does it matter what weight class it's going to be anyways? It's not like it's gonna be a championship bout. I think couture is gonna beat this guy anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%