Titans claim Murray "loved" selection of Henry

jonathanlambert33

P-ROBlem
Staff member
Global Moderator
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Tennessee Titans claim DeMarco Murray was fine with the team selecting Derrick Henry in the second round.

Mike Mularkey phoned Murray immediately after the Henry selection to ensure him he wouldn't be losing his job for the second straight season.

"First of all, he loved the pick," Mularkey said of Murray, via the team's official website. "And he said, 'He's going to make me better and I am going to do the same for him.' He said, 'I'm going to do whatever I can to make him a great player."

Mularkey insists Murray is entrenched as the lead back.

"I told DeMarco, 'Nothing has changed since we made the trade for you. You're still going to be the guy who is going to carry the load for us and I know when you need to take a break and come off the field there will be no letdown when the next running back comes in, whoever that is'," Mularkey explained. "That is our mindset and I told him that directly not long after we made that pick, that he was clear with the direction we were going to go with it."

CHRIS WESSELING/NFL.COM

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Might have to do with the fact that he realizes they just drafted a slow straight line runner who probably won't threaten his job in the long run

BwareDWare94

Where were you when the world stopped turning?
Reaction score
Murray is an elite back when used properly, so it's not like Henry is a threat

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
Wait, omg. Please tell me I'm the first person to realize this, because this is crazy (at least to me).

• This year, the Titans with the 45th pick in the draft selected RB Derrick Henry out of Alabama. His last game in college football was in the National Championship game, where he ran for 3 TDs. Henry is considered a more powerful, but not that fast runner, while his teammate Kenyan Drake is considered one of the most elusive RBs in the draft.

Does this sound familiar? Well exactly 10 years earlier, the Tennessee Titans did the same thing. They, with the 45th pick in the draft, selected the guy who ran for 3 TDs in the National Championship, as the bruising back rather than his elusive teammate. That player, being LenDale White.

Derrick Henry is LenDale White.

-- And when I mean exactly, I mean exactly. The NFL Draft back in 2006 was on the 29th and 30th, where it was only two days long. The 2016 NFL Draft was from the 28th-30th, but because the first day is only 1 round, the 2nd round pick was on the 29th as well. LITERALLY 10 years apart.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The only thing I got from that is you comparing Kenyan Drake to Reggie Bush.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
FWIW, Kenyan Drake can be what Reggie Bush was in the pros.

Bush averaged 75 yards per game in his career, which is hardly anything that outstanding. If Drake gets opportunity (note, he's currently the #2 RB behind Jay Ajayi -- he could have a serious opportunity at starting soon), he could put up similar numbers potentially

Obviously the intent of the message was not to compare college Drake to college Bush.

Hurricane Season

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Nah, I was just kind of bustin your balls.  

I do like Drake, though.  Solid value as a third rounder as well.

SWISH-banned

...THAT PART...
Reaction score
I actually agree with that. When they took him I thought of LenDale too, especially with DeMarco as the other kind of back (although not a CJ2K). This time they have my boy Marcus Mariota though.

Shaggy

Staff member
ADMIN
Reaction score
He will to alot better on the Titans then he did with Philly, that's for sure!

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Titans players were collectively at awe over the size of Henry, when he arrived for rookie camp today. We know Henry is a big man but I'm sure seeing him in person puts it into a very real perspective. 

JZsportswhiz

Reaction score
It was a terrible pick. They already had a plethora of RBs and a lot of holes elsewhere on the roster. They make a big offseason move for a proven player, and use a high draft pick at the same position. Yep, sounds like something a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years would do

cavsfan817

You trying to get the pipe?
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't get the pick for them either. Maybe it's because I'm not high on Henry.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
This is the RB position in today's NFL guys. Henry is the 1st & 2nd down RB while DeMarco is the change of pace RB who will also be utilized in the passing game. Getting Henry to shoulder the tough carries only helps keep DeMarco healthier in the long run.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Murray's just washed. The Cowboys ran him into the ground.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Teagz said:
Murray's just washed. The Cowboys ran him into the ground.
Not washed but very, very overrated. Consider Run DMC put up 1k behind Dallas' offensive line last season. 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%