Tigers Nearing Deal For Catcher

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
10:23am: The Tigers aren't close to a deal with Shoppach, according to MLB.com's Jason Beck (on Twitter).

10:04am: The Tigers are close to signing a catcher, according to Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (on Twitter). Free agent Kelly Shoppach is one of the team's targets and Morosi reported earlier in the week that the Tigers are considering Jose Molina, Matt Treanor, Ramon Castro and former Tiger Gerald Laird as possible backups.

Alex Avila will start for the Tigers, who want Victor Martinez's bat in the lineup every day. GM Dave Dombrowski has said the Tigers view Martinez as the team's regular DH and third catcher, which means the team is on the hunt for someone who can spell Avila regularly.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
laird... wow. world series here we come!

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Got rid of the dude cause he couldn't hit for shit, so we decide to bring him back.
Logical much?

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Got rid of the dude cause he couldn't hit for shit, so we decide to bring him back.
Logical much?
I agree, this is still mind boggling to me. I would have preferred Doumit most but I also would have been happy with Kelly Shoppach or Jose Molina. Laird would have been my last choice.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I agree, this is still mind boggling to me. I would have preferred Doumit most but I also would have been happy with Kelly Shoppach or Jose Molina. Laird would have been my last choice.
I was really, really hoping for Molina.
Laird just makes me angry.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Molina's old and can't block pitches for shit. At least Laird is actually pretty good defensively.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
IMO Laird was kinda of overrated in terms of his defense.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Only thing that I liked about Molina was his cannon arm lol.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Plus he is a much better hitter. I'd of taken him over Laird without hesitation lol.

Teagz

Dogs.
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Offensively Laird was a huge letdown for the Tigers in the past. The only thing I can remember him doing well is laying down sacrifice bunts. Defensively his percentage of runners thrown out is steadily declining.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Molina had a .363 BAPIP last season. He was incredibly lucky lol.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score

Gerald..........

Laird...........

?????

I know it's just for backup position, but really? You'd want to rest Avila and let someone start like that? Ummm no thanks, lets pass. I'd prefer using Don Kelly at catcher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%