Tigers, Braves discussing trade involving Derek Lowe?

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
The Braves have a six-game lead in the National League Wild Card and trail the Phillies by only three games in the National League East, but they may be open to dealing a prominent member of their starting rotation before the July 31 trade deadline.

According to Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com, the Tigers have approached the Braves about acquiring veteran right-hander Derek Lowe. And Atlanta’s front office may be ready to listen.

The Braves have one of the top rotations in the majors and possess great pitching depth in the minor leagues. They can get rid of Lowe, who has registered an underwhelming 4.30 ERA in 20 starts this season, and get equal — if not better — production from Julio Teheran or Mike Minor down the stretch.

Atlanta’s preference is to acquire a major league-ready right-hitting outfielder by the deadline, but Morosi says the organization may be content with dumping salary and netting young talent in a deal involving Lowe.

Lowe, 38, is making a whopping $15 million this season and is owed another $15 million in 2012.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I just read that. Would be a nice addition especially with the current pitching situation.

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I'd love him too as our last starter, but we better not trade something worth a damn for a 38 year old pitcher.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I'd love him too as our last starter, but we better not trade something worth a damn for a 38 year old pitcher.
I'd hope not. If that's the case, mise well go for someone else if they are going to give up a lot for him.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
RT @jcrasnick: Barring a change, the probability of Lowe going to Tigers is extremely "low,'' says source. Money the big sticking point

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
thats a ton of money for his age. if we work something out, as long as we dont give too much up im OK with this.

playmaker7

The GOAT
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Lowe's time in Atlanta has kinda run its course so I can see this happening

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Holy shit, I never knew Derek Lowe was 38. I always thought the dude was like 34 now.

Any team trading for him is making a mistake

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Doesn't look like the Tigers are going to pick him up, but they will pick up somebody.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Would be good for the Braves, but doesn't seem like its going down.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Now it's...... Sources: Tigers Interested in Orioles' Guthrie

They don't know what they want to do...

The Tigers have interest in Guthrie, sources say, but he’s behind the likes of Ubaldo Jimenez and Hiroki Kuroda on their wish list.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Guthrie isn't much of an upgrade to what the Tigers currently have. They'll probably call up Jacob Turner soon to be the 5th starter.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
Guthrie isn't much of an upgrade to what the Tigers currently have. They'll probably call up Jacob Turner soon to be the 5th starter.
Dombrowski said Jacob Turner, the organization's top pitching prospect, isn't a candidate to start Wednesday. Dombrowski added Turner is "unlikely" to pitch in the majors this year, citing a desire to limit his innings.

Turner, 20, has nearly surpassed his workload from last season. He threw 115 1/3 innings last year and is already at 105 2/3 innings this year.

"We love him," Dombrowski said. "We think he's going to be a No. 1 starter. He's very close to pitching in the big leagues. I'm not sure how much more time he needs in the minors, except that he's also pitched a lot of innings this year compared to where he's been in the past. We always have concerns about that. The innings pitched becomes an important factor."

Turner would be an obvious prospect for the Rockies to request in trade talks involving Jimenez, but it’s not clear if the Tigers would trade him.

Dombrowski said the strength of the Tigers’ farm system is “upper-level starting pitching,” with most of their top position players (such as 19-year-old third baseman Nick Castellanos) in the lower minors.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
dumbrowski, gotta love him!

RipCity32

King Of The East
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
IDGAF who we trade for, as long as we don't give up too much.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I didn't know Lowe was 38 either. I thought he was younger. I wouldn't want him at 38.

Don't know much about things, but i'd see getting a starter from somewhere. Where that's from, who knows. Somebody who we don't give up a lot for, and preferably a lefty.

WHO-DEY-BENGALS_18

Reaction score
I don't really worry about the age, I worry about what the cost would be and for how long. Wish he could get a deal like Brad Penny but that surely isn't going to happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%