Thiago Silva Out? Rashad-Rampage II being planned?

Dizzy Darko

Reaction score
Sources have indicated to MMAWeekly.com as of Wednesday that Thiago Silva has been forced to withdraw from his upcoming fight at UFC 130, and will be replaced by none other that former UFC light heavyweight champion Rashad Evans.

The Team Jackson fighter wasn’t seriously injured, and was expected to be ready to come back as early as May and it looks like he’ll get his wish.
This fueled rumors that Thiago had yet again sustained an injury. However when contacted Thiago Silva had no clue where that rumor came from.

Hearing the news, we contacted Thiago Silva by phone, and the fighter was surprised. "Injured? Me? I’m very healthy and looking forward to fighting Rampage. That’s not true."

"Nobody called us about anything, the fight is on" said Conan Silveira, one of the leaders of American Top Team.
Rampage's camp "Wolfslair" had also not heard the news.

Jackson’s representatives at The Wolfslair also reacted with surprise when contacted by Fighters Only, saying it was the first they had heard of it.
Rashad Evans also wasn't aware of this, apparently dousing the flames of this rumor

According to Rashad Evans' manager @malkikawa, Evans has not been offered a fight against Rampage Jackson at UFC 130.
Or so we thought. If you read carefully, the original rumor states Thiago was "forced to withdraw", it did not specify why, nor did it mention an injury. Later the NSAC made public the results of the competitors that were tested prior to UFC 125, the one glaring ommision? None other than Thiago Silva.

The Neveda State Athletic Commission (NSAC) today confirmed that 14 of the 15 competitors who were tested for illegal/banned substances after competing at UFC 125: "Resolution" on Jan. 1 have all passed with flying colors.

NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer did not reveal the identity of the odd man out, saying only that Mr. X's urine sample is "still being processed."

Those who were screened for performance enhancers such as steroids and drugs of abuse like cocaine and marijuana, among others, and came back clean include main event participants Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard, as well as Chris Leben, Brian Stann, Brandon Vera, Phil Baroni, Brad Tavares, Jeremy Stephens, Dustin Poirier, Diego Nunes, Daniel Roberts, Jacob Volkmann, Dong Hyun Kim and Clay Guida.

Vera was tested, however, his opponent, Thiago Silva, does not appear on this list.
So it seems either the UFC got early notification of a failed test or they are trying to stay a step ahead if indeed the results come back positive for Mr. Silva. I was excited for Rampage/Thiago, and I'm not entirely interested in seeing rounds 4-6, but there were a whole lot of people watching the first fight and an in-shape Rampage may make things a little more interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%