The Yankees & StubHub

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
On the business side, the Yankees are still adept at throwing their considerable weight around.

They did so last week when they announced they would no longer accept print-at-home tickets, instituting mobile ticketing along with standard hard-copy tickets moves that could make it more cumbersome for buyers and sellers on the resale market who do not go through the Yankees ticket exchange.

Although the Yankees said the moves were to combat fraud, industry analysts and competitors saw the latest broadside against StubHub, which the Yankees have frequently accused of undercutting the value of their tickets, as another attempt by a professional sports franchise to seize control of the resale market.

After Lonn Trost, the Yankees chief operating officer, was lambasted as elitist for suggesting in a Thursday radio interview that some fans do not belong in premium seats, the team president, Randy Levine, in an interview Saturday, said StubHub had stoked the controversy, accusing it of putting out a narrative thats completely fraudulent and completely false.
And here's what he said on the radio - "Quite frankly, the fan may be someone who has never sat in a premium location. So thats a frustration to our existing fan base.

Really interesting story. I get the Yankees side of it they'd rather people buy the tickets that haven't sold, but instead they're buying tickets already sold.

But at the same time, this is going to piss off a lot of season ticket holders who want to resell their tickets if they can't go to a game.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Don't know how it works with the Yankees, but with the Indians it doesn't even make sense to buy directly from them. Always cheaper to buy on a third party website from a re-seller

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Man those re-sellers be boosting those prices for Yankees tickets. Always go through ticketmaster instead.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
I just find stubhub more convenient and easier to use. 

I have no problem with people selling well below the face value to get rid of it on game-day - but I absolutely despise people who sell playoff tickets for like 5x the value. 

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Gametime app is all i use
Its great

This is definitely interesting
A few years ago the dodgers got rid of physical tickets. Now only use mobile, or you can print them out

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
elcheato said:
Don't know how it works with the Yankees, but with the Indians it doesn't even make sense to buy directly from them. Always cheaper to buy on a third party website from a re-seller
The last deal the MLB made with Stubhub, 3 teams opted out. Yankees, Cubs, Angels. Yanks and cubs have the most expensive season tickets.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Arm and leg to even sit behind home plate lol. I prefer the short right field bleachers to get a cheap home run..

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Big Bid'Ness said:
Arm and leg to even sit behind home plate lol. I prefer the short right field bleachers to get a cheap home run..
i like to sit along third and first for foul balls.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Papa Pugzo said:
i like to sit along third and first for foul balls.

I never had that luck of getting any where i sat lol. They are usually way past me or not even near.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
man one game last year about 12 foul balls were hit all within six seats of me on any direction. my boy and i were super pissed lol

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
This is just the Yankees trying to take more control over their tickets and having their "type" of fan. They want those casual rich fans who are going to splurge at their stadium. I mean it is a business and it makes sense, but the limitation imposed of reselling tickets only affects the middle class fans who purchase their tickets through stubhub.

bosoxlover12

We're Onto Cincinnati
ADMIN
Reaction score
I don't know why there is freak out for this

It's the Yankees lol. This "new" Yankee Stadium is hella nice and expensive, and they want to keep the ideal that it is expensive. I see no problem with not partnering with SH

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:
This is just the Yankees trying to take more control over their tickets and having their "type" of fan. They want those casual rich fans who are going to splurge at their stadium. I mean it is a business and it makes sense, but the limitation imposed of reselling tickets only affects the middle class fans who purchase their tickets through stubhub.
That's not what it is. They don't want only rich people. Think of it this way
- Season ticket holder with seats 2 rows behind 1b dugout. Can't go to a few games.

-Seats are $400 value, he sells them on stub hub for $135.

- Yankees barely see any of that money. So someone just bought tickets, well below face value, instead of buying unsold seats for the same price a bit further down the line.

Bottom line is people won't spend that kind of money if the product on the field stinks. Simple solution - put a better team on the field.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Youre right GMF, the season ticket holders are undercutting the Yankees and SH is the facilitator for that.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
If the Yankees were smart - offer game promotions only on tickets bought from the Yankees website. Instead of getting "free blah blah to the first 15000, do it only for tickets bought through the team. Buy it, and it comes with a voucher for that game to claim your free whatever.

Giantmetfan07

Shocking The World
ADMIN
Reaction score
Frontpage Stardom said:
Youre right GMF, the season ticket holders are undercutting the Yankees and SH is the facilitator for that.
This will be a problem when the deal expires, because more teams will fight it too.

Big Bid'Ness

4 Life
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
GMF1991 said:
If the Yankees were smart - offer game promotions only on tickets bought from the Yankees website. Instead of getting "free blah blah to the first 15000, do it only for tickets bought through the team. Buy it, and it comes with a voucher for that game to claim your free whatever.

Pretty much ticketmaster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%