The GMOTY Nominees, Revisited

RN4L

Da Nation
Reaction score
So long as there has been a GMOTY award, there has been an odd nominee almost every year.

Who voted for that clown?! Why did they deserve one or two votes? What's in a name?

This article is strictly to diagnose and dissect all active GMs who have received nominations for GMOTY and to tier them up based on a combination of success, sustainability, and personal opinion.

[Viewer discretion is advised]

GOAT.jpg

The Jimmy Tier
This tier is to commemorate the GOAT Jim the Sim man

These GMs are cream of the proverbial crop. They should have advantage over any other tiers in a heads-up clash for the chip. These GMs have gathered a staggering 30+ votes over the course of the file, winning 4 championships between them. True innovators of each and every file, they do things their own unique way. The 3 GMs listed here are in no particular order GOATer than the other, or are they?

@dez - As CEO, CFO and do it all GM/Coach/Trainer of the New York Knicks, Dez has always been top tier in relation to all things. His tenacity and passion for winning is rivaled only by his willingness to risk it for the biscuit every single year. We've seen him build up, dismantle, and retool mid season, at least twice now - all while remaining relevant in the post-season - and his motor never stops. He's already at it again, on the phones into the late night stirring up ideas for how to improve next year. Dez's Knicks have a top 3 post-season win percentage of any team with 8 or more playoff appearances.

@CameronCrazy06 - The Dallas Mavericks have won twice as many playoff games as the Los Angeles Lakers (9 appearances, .394 win percentage) have lost since the league was created. It's no doubt that having the file, creating all the players, getting a more in depth look than every other GM in the league, has its advantages; yet the commish has been vehement in his refuting of such accusations of scouting players without paying his fair share. No matter the side of such an argument you choose, this man gets it done sim szn in, sim szn out.

@xbrackattackx - This man is an innovator, doing things others never would have though of, maybe even considered (or considered sane). During the creation draft, he traded for 2 other teams' 1st round selections, before the commish could even invent a rule not allowing GMs to do such a thing. With a stroke of luck, the man ended up with the GOAT of the file and continues to catch shit for it. Some GMs have admitted they would never run such a risk, that the Wolves could have ended up with 3 shitty 1sts and no depth. I stand convinced that Brack would have no doubt figured out a way to make it work either way. Minnesota has the 2nd most wins in the playoffs of any team since the league was born, and I believe you could have given Brack the last 3 picks of the 1st round and 9 picks in the 12th and he would have had the same success.

PLAT.jpg

Platinum Tier
The next-best-of-the-best

With a whopping 40+ GMOTY votes between these 4 GMs, they clearly are next level when it comes to preparing a squad for success.
Agree? Disagree? IDGAF make your own tier list next time.

@Bozo The Clown - After taking over a rather run down team, it needed a lot of work. Boogzo made quick work of the squad, with a vision of tanking - retooling - tanking, and took them to the promised land. He landed a top prospect, acquired high-end talent, and this season will be acquiring yet another top notch piece via the draft. Boston has more playoff wins than 6 of the 15 other teams with as many or more appearances in the post-season. Put it to you this way, when Boston decides to compete, they don't pussyfoot around that shit.

@Cheddar - Indiana always appears to be in it, thanks in full to the work of this man. Indiana has played in only 7 post-seasons, partially due to the vision of the former GM that left this squad for Cheddar to retool. Some consider him shrewd, but he always seems to be making deals. He knows what he wants, and will give you what you ask only when he deems it fair. Having received more than 10 of the nominations counting towards the 40+ this tier gathered, he is revered by his peers and is always a formidable opponent come the post-season.

@bosoxlover12 - Former GM of the Sacramento Kings, it's tough to place BoSox here. His former team was very successful when it came to the regular season, but that success only came to fruition after he left the team to take a sabbatical from the league. Revived, returned, renewed - the now GM of the Chicago Bulls did all 3 to his new team in one fell FA swoop. After Chicago had just 11 post-season wins from prior seasons, the Bulls are currently sitting in the ECF and primed to make #TheRun up against the commish. This season could rewrite this narrative of BoSox <<< CC - but I'm sure we'll hear all the explanations of why this season doesn't matter when the Bulls beat the Mavs in the Finals and Kyrie signs in Dallas come the off-season.

@.infamous - After taking over an unstable Houston franchise, .inf has been a shaker and mover and always seems to be making noise out West. This season will mark the 8th time the Rockets have made a playoff berth, but they have yet to make it to the Finals. David did earn the 2nd most GMOTY nom tallies of all those who received a nomination, and deserves a spot among the 2nd tier.

GOLD.jpg

Gold Tier
The not-quite-platinum-but-almost (honorable mentions) tier

With the best-of-the-best and the next-best-of-the-best out of the way, here's who's left (minus the ones who are left out)

@Will - As previously mentioned, Sacramento was a pretty stable franchise when Will came into the league. There had been some commissioner tinkering(not as much as in Cleveland)but overall he was given a reasonably well established team to make his own - and that he did. One of the biggest landslides in league history when it comes to GMOTY, he walked away with a chip and an award shortly after his arrival. While some would say he didn't earn it, his moves were coordinated and calculated, and lined him up for continued success.

@daulten780 - Daulten has been up-and-down with his vision, but has always found a way to remain a post-season perennial throughout. His team has the 5th most post-season wins of any team on the file, and he has made 2 Finals appearances. It's only a matter of time before he takes that next step - or his team retires right to the grave.

@$tunna - Atlanta is about as consistent as they come - until the playoffs start. Boasting a top 5 regular season record on file (.596), they have one of the most inconsistent post-season performances (.373) in 7 appearances. All stats aside, Stunna is not afraid to shake it up. These numbers are far from concrete, as his most recent moves likely land him in the top 3 or 4 in terms of Championship Favorites in my personal opinion, for the next couple of years.

@snipezo - The Raptors are one of the most perplexing teams this league has ever seen. Snipez always seems to put together a solid team on paper, that just doesn't perform up to standards. Some of that should be attributed to his lack of DC abilities, but as far as a GM goes he makes the Gold tier by a nudge. His team having a .556 regular season win percentage has some to do with that, making the playoffs 8 times out of 10 in what is to be considered the toughest of the conferences has some to do with it as well.

SILVER.jpg

Silver Tier
The silver lining

The lets-wrap-it-up tier
The step-above-the-dudes-who-wish-they-were-never-nomiated tier

@kdogg - Recipient of a lone nomination, the Portland GM has seen a tough tenure to date. He's made the post-season 6 times, more than any other remaining GMOTY nominee. Always willing to negotiate, kdogg appears inactive at times but always listening and watching, waiting for the right time to strike the iron. With another season or two here, he could easily be a gold-tier GM if he gets a little FA luck - which he has aligned himself very well to fall into.

@Teagz - Tied for next-most nominations among the remaining recipients, Teagz has had an up-and-down couple of seasons. However, reflecting deeper into the file confirms his vision - he built for competition early, but failed to make the re-tool efforts necessary for long term success. This is what separates the silver from the gold and platinum. A step behind Toronto, but firmly ahead of the remaining nominees in terms of regular season success - Teagz can still right the ship with one good off-season, which he will need to do as he does not have his own pick to fall back on next season.

@mattfaria12 - Receiving a less-than-middling Memphis roster, Matt has not been afraid to make large-scale trades and slap together a competitor. He has drafted well enough to garner attention to the prospects he has brought in, and thus has potential trade partners waiting for the chance to hit him up when he's ready to compete. Making the playoffs this year was a nice step forward for Memphis, and I expect another step as the youth tree continues to bud for Matt and his Grizz.

WOOD.jpg

Wood Tier
The GMs that just, ya know, like being here
we don't want to take over the world, not yet

@BironRonso - The Bucks GM was handed by far the worst situation in the league when he took over Milwaukee mid-creation draft. This is, however, no excuse for a worse record than 80% of the league. However long the rebuild took, Milwaukee is not afraid to try to take the next step. After making the playoffs twice in the last 3 seasons, Birono lost an integral piece of his puzzle in his starting center. We'll see if the future is brighter, or if the window is shut on the aging core he's put together next year.

I can't at myself, can I? Well, I'm dead last. Though I had more GMOTY votes than some of the dudes in Silver, I didn't want to appear biased - we do, however, have more playoff victories than 7 other teams in the league. #WeComing.

Enjoy the memes. Denver sucks. Now gimme six bux

Last edited:

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Good stuff. The part about brack was on point lol.

Will

Reaction score
Good job with this. Happy with being in gold tier.

CameronCrazy06

Sight On Six
Hall of Fame
Commish
Reaction score
It’s sad that my write-up is focused on me having the file, and not on my accomplishments as a GM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%