Strikeforce HW Grand Prix shaping up?

Dizzy Darko

Reaction score
There have been rumors that Scott Coker and co. have been trying to get an 8 man Grand Prix-style HW tournament going that will take place over the span of 2-3 events in 2011. It seems that the rumors may be true after all.

Fedor Emelianenko will return to the Strikeforce cage on Feb. 12, as he takes on Antonio Silva in a heavyweight main event from the Izod Center in East Rutherford, N.J.

Sources close to the negotiations informed Sherdog.com Sunday evening of the event’s date and location.

A match between former UFC heavyweight champions Andrei Arlovski and Josh Barnett is also said to be in the works for the February date. It remains to be seen how the New Jersey Athletic Control Board handles the licensing situation Barnett -- who allegedly tested positive for a performance enhancing substance prior to a scheduled bout with Emelianenko in the summer of 2009 -- is dealing with in California. His hearing before the California commission was pushed back at their Dec. 2 meeting.
Also mentioned in the article is a rumored fight between Fabricio Werdum and Brett Rogers that should take place early in March. There is also mentions of a 4th quaterfinal match but no date or fighters were mentioned. One can easily assume that the current Strikeforce champ Alistair Overeem will be in the 4th fight, the question is who will his opponent be? Tim Sylvia? Kahrinatov? I don't know, but I'm sure as hell excited that Strikeforce is actually going to get their HW's to fight each other

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Emelianenko-Silva-HW-Tourney-Slated-for-Feb-12-29152

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
As the huge fan of PRIDE that I was...fuck yes on the Grand Prix. This is a concept that, for some reason, the UFC got away from since the day they got away from tournaments and broke it down by weight class. This Strikeforce Grand Prix is basically shaping up to be an Alistair Overeem ass-kicking contest but it will keep him active in the promotion more in 2011 and hopefully...leads up to him vs. Fedor, finally.

Dizzy Darko

Reaction score
As the huge fan of PRIDE that I was...fuck yes on the Grand Prix. This is a concept that, for some reason, the UFC got away from since the day they got away from tournaments and broke it down by weight class. This Strikeforce Grand Prix is basically shaping up to be an Alistair Overeem ass-kicking contest but it will keep him active in the promotion more in 2011 and hopefully...leads up to him vs. Fedor, finally.
I think Dana has said on a few occasions he isn't big on the Grand Prix. As a fan I love it, especially since Pride turned it into a spectacle. That shit was always so awesome. Someone brought to my attention that Strikeforce may decide to keep Alistair out and have the winner of the Grand Prix fight him for the title. This would upset me greatly seeing as the tournament probably wouldn't over until mid-2011, and the Champ vs. Alistair taking place at the end of the year, meaning Overeem would defend his title and fight for Strikeforce once in all of 2011.

I would love to see Overeem run roughshod through this tourny. No more ducking, we would get at least one or two of Fedor/Werdum, Fedor/Overeem, Werdum/Overeem if all went as planned.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I like the idea. I hope itactually happens.

Dizzy Darko

Reaction score
UPDATE:

New details have come out regarding the Strikeforce HW tournament. Turns out most of the initial rumored quarterfinal match-ups were incorrect.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/04/overeem-vs-werdum-among-strikeforce-heavyweight-tournament-pair/

Eight Strikeforce heavyweights have all signed to compete in a single-elimination tournament to begin on Feb. 12, sources have confirmed to MMA Fighting.

While several of the matchups have been rumored for some time, MMA Fighting can report the addition of Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem to the field. A source with knowledge of the situation confirmed that Overeem will take on Fabricio Werdum.

The first two quarterfinal bouts will take place on Feb. 12, with Fedor Emelianenko taking on Antonio SIlva, while Andrei Arlovski will face Sergei Kharitonov. Earlier Tuesday, MMA Fighting reported Emelianenko's contract extension with Strikeforce, paving the way for his entrance into the field.
Fuck yes! Overeem will actually fight at least 3 times this year in Strikeforce. So we have:

Overeem/Werdum
Fedor/Silva
Kharitonov/Arlovski
Barnett/Rogers

I love these fights more than the first rumored ones. I cant believe they actually got these guys (especially Overeem and Fedor) to sign.

Dizzy Darko

Reaction score

And the bracket. Oh snap! Super stacked on one side. I love it

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Damn this is gonna be sick. Pretty excited for this.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
WTF Scott Coker? Why would put Overeem and Fedor on the same side of the bracket? We're talking mega-fight becomes an epic-fight if it's for the Championship.

I'll bet Barnett destroys the other-side of this bracket.

Dizzy Darko

Reaction score
I love the stacked side. Everyone bitches that the top 3 HW's in Strikeforce don't fight each other, now we have the Champ vs. #1 contender, with the winner fighting the man that was seen as unstoppable not too long ago (pending a win over Silva). Its like its own 4 man tournament, with the other side building a future #1 contender for the winner. This also means there is no possibility of someone like Kharitonov or Rogers pulling off an upset and ruining a potential mega fight.

I still bet Alistair defends his title within the bracket.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I love the stacked side. Everyone bitches that the top 3 HW's in Strikeforce don't fight each other, now we have the Champ vs. #1 contender, with the winner fighting the man that was seen as unstoppable not too long ago (pending a win over Silva). Its like its own 4 man tournament, with the other side building a future #1 contender for the winner. This also means there is no possibility of someone like Kharitonov or Rogers pulling off an upset and ruining a potential mega fight.

I still bet Alistair defends his title within the bracket.
This is all true, good points.

+1

You need to stick around this site. Your an MMA fan who knows what the fuck he's talking about and I love you for it already.

Dizzy Darko

Reaction score
Thanks man, I've bounced around a few multi-sports forums looking for one that has solid MMA talk and I think I've found it. I'll def stick around and plan on getting involved in the other discussions around here as well.

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Thanks man, I've bounced around a few multi-sports forums looking for one that has solid MMA talk and I think I've found it. I'll def stick around and plan on getting involved in the other discussions around here as well.
We don't have the world's biggest MMA following but we do have enough to warrant a "Fight Forum", as opposed to the subject being crammed inside of "Other Sports".

You know as well as I do, there's no good straight-MMA talk forum in existence. Not unless ur willing to deal with an ad-whored, corporate ran forum that is a part of some major MMA news website.

As long as I am around...every single UFC & SF card is posted & all the major MMA news and tidbits are covered at SI.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
that one side makes me erect. damn :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%