Stillman to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

germany00

Preds 2013?
Reaction score
Forward Cory Stillman, one of the few NHL players to win consecutive Stanley Cups with different teams, reportedly will announce his retirement Thursday at a news conference in Florida.

The Peterborough (Ontario) Examiner also reports that Stillman will be introduced as a member of the Panthers' player development staff. He will monitor and work with Florida's junior and minor-league prospects.
Stillman scored 278 goals and added 449 assists in 1,025 games during 16 NHL seasons with Calgary, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Carolina and Florida -- he was traded from the Panthers back to Carolina in February and had 17 points in 21 games. He was a member of the Lightning's 2004 Cup winners after his best statistical season -- 25 goals and 80 points -- and earned a second ring with Carolina in 2006.

The 37-year-old Peterborough native, selected by Calgary with the sixth pick in the 1992 Entry Draft, told The Examiner he had offers to return to play in the NHL this season, including one from the Hurricanes, but he felt it was time to move on.

"I can walk away knowing I wasn't pushed out the door," Stillman said. "I could play. When I got traded back to Carolina, I was reunited with some guys and we had a good run at the end. In the end, I'm not old, but I'm getting a little older, I'll be 38 in December, and I had a career I'm very happy with."

Stillman has had surgeries on both shoulders and both knees; he also suffered a concussion last season.

"I love playing the game and still love the game a lot, but one door is closing and another door is opening," he said. "This allows me to stay in the game and be a part of an NHL team and help kids. I can walk away with no regrets in this game."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%