Stephen Strasburg could return September 2

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post spoke with Davey Johnson today, who said that Stephen Strasburg could return to the bigs and make the start on September 2nd. That’s a Friday against the Mets at Nationals Park.

Kilgore refers to it as a “speculative” time table, however, so that could slide. Given that September 2nd is the first game of a ten-game home stand — and given that Strasburg’s primary benefit to the Nationals in 2011 will be at the gate — I suppose his start could come any time in those ten games.

But hey, getting your phenom back is good no matter when it happens.
Then someone posted this in the comments:
Barring any setbacks, Strasburg will return on Tuesday, September 6 against the Dodgers. The circumstantial evidence:

(1) The date is in line with the strict, every-fifth-day pitching schedule that Rizzo has said Strasburg will adhere to.

(2) For Nationals to maximize that number of times Strasburg makes his starts at home (a clear priority based on his minor league rehab locations), he would need to return between September 2 and September 6, as all would line him up to make three starts at home. If he returns September 6, he makes each of his FIRST three starts at home, and doesn’t go on the road until start number four.

(3) I was told off the record by a front office (though not baseball operations) staff member that he heard September 6 was the date.

(4) The team has blocked season ticket holders from redeeming their Red Carpet Rewards points (a frequent flyer-style loyalty program that allows season ticket holders to redeem points for tickets to future games) for the game on September 6. Prior to the season, the team sends fans a list of premium games for which Red Carpet points cannot be used, i.e., Opening Day, holidays, weekends against the Phillies. September 6 is not one of those games, yet they suddenly have zero complimentary tickets available. On a Tuesday night. Against the Dodgers. Not surprisingly, September 11 and 16 (Strasburg’s second and third projected home starts) are also blocked. Coincidence?

Take it to the bank.
Anyways Im happy as hell since the Nationals are my second favorite team behind the tigers and strasburg is one of my favorite players. Hope he stays healthy now lol.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Has a top 5 arm in Baseball. Always exciting to watch.

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Has a top 5 arm in Baseball. Always exciting to watch.
Yea definitely. And I read somewhere that is arm might be even stronger than before, if so thats crazy lol.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to his return. He was awesome to watch, just has the most electrifying stuff I've ever seen.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hopefully he doesn't get hurt again. He has an amazing arm.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I remember last year I bought tickets to an Indians game against the Nationals, and he ended up starting that game :D I think it was his first road start.

Mexi

#2 SG of all time #13
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
dodgers face them the 2nd week of september
sweet

september 6th makes more sense anyways
i mean you could talk about ticket sales, but from a baseball standpoint, the braves have a good offense and the dodgers have an awful one

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
We'll see what happens with his development.... Im definitely not rooting for him, lol.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
cant wait for this. dude is lights up. just hope he stays healthy.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I remember watching his 1st start, and he had my jaw dropping. I couldn't believe how someone so young, could just come in to this league and basically dominate. I've been on this bandwagon since they were hyping him up his last year at San Diego State. It got me hyped up to see him in the big leagues and so far he has not disappointed, by any means, when he's played.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%