Stanford after Chris Peterson?

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score

Sources report Boise’s Petersen has spoken with Stanford
Stanford athletic director Bob Bowlsby has been adamant about interviewing in-house for the Cardinal’s replacement for new 49er’s coach Jim Harbaugh. And while that may still be the case, there is also a chance the Bowlsby could be looking outside of the program for his new head coach.

Namely, Boise State’s Chris Petersen.

Nothing has been confirmed (yet), but ESPN”s Joe Schad has reported that Stanford has reached out to Boise State in an attempt to speak with Petersen.

Additionally, a source close to Comcast SportsNet has reportedly learned that Petersen and Bowlsby have, indeed, spoken. The context, length of conversation and topics discussed, however, have not been revealed.

Again, these are merely initial reports and there have been no confirmations (yet) from Boise State on the matter. On the other hand, LSU claimed earlier today that there had been no contact between head coach Les Miles and Michigan.

And we saw how well that held up.

-CFT
Now this could be a very interesting decision for Chris Peterson. He's got a good thing going at Boise but he'd be going straight into the 2011 favorite to win the Pac-10. Stanford is obviously the more prestigious school, offers up more money, and c'mon...living in Idaho or living in California? This is the type of job opportunity that is very, very hard to pass up on.

The Edge

Reaction score
I think he has to take it.

Boise has screwed itself now jumping to the MWC as all the other good teams bailed. He's just spinning his tires staying there.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Now this could be a very interesting decision for Chris Peterson. He's got a good thing going at Boise but he'd be going straight into the 2011 favorite to win the Pac-10. Stanford is obviously the more prestigious school, offers up more money, and c'mon...living in Idaho or living in California? This is the type of job opportunity that is very, very hard to pass up on.
Instant favorites to win the Pac-10? You do know Oregon, the team in the National Championship game this year is also in the Pac-10?

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
I don't see him leaving Boise.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Chris Petersen has decided to stay at Boise State, spurning an overture from Stanford.

Petersen made the announcement in a statement Monday, saying only he would "continue directing the football program." He also announced the hiring of Brent Pease as offensive coordinator and Robert Prince as receivers coach and pass game coordinator.

This past weekend, ESPN's Joe Schad reported that Stanford had contacted Boise State about talking to Petersen. It's unclear whether Petersen ever spoke with Stanford athletic director Bob Bowlsby, who is searching for a replacement for Jim Harbaugh.

Petersen is 61-5 in five seasons as head coach at Boise State, leading the Broncos to two BCS bowl wins and a 12-1 record this season.

As for Pease, he returns to Boise State after leaving Dec. 30 to become offensive coordinator at Indiana. But after Bryan Harsin left for Texas last Friday, Pease decided to return. He had served as the team's receivers coach for the last five seasons.

"I'm very honored and fortunate to be able to return to Boise State," Pease said in a statement. "While I was very much looking forward to the opportunity at Indiana, the knowledge and relationships I have with the players, coaches and administration at Boise State made it a very logical choice for me and my family."

Prince coached wide receivers for former Broncos head coach Dan Hawkins from 2001-02, and was Boise State's passing game coordinator in 2003 before moving on to coach in the NFL. He spent this past season as the pass game coordinator at Colorado.

"It's great to be back at Boise State and working again with Coach Petersen," Prince said in a statement. "Having closely followed the team's success since I left Boise and I'm very excited about the opportunity to coach the Broncos again. I've known Coach Pete a long time and our philosophies are a lot alike. It's a natural fit for me."
ESPN

Not surprising at all

A.E

Vottomatic
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Well...Standford must not have put up the money. I know Chris has built something great at Boise but I really thought a hefty contract and more competitive conference would have lead him to Stanford. He must enjoy racking up the points against that "stiff" competition in the WAC & MWC.

Lake Louise

Reaction score
I didn't think he would leave Boise. I know this isn't the main reason, but I just have that feeling he wants to at least be there for Kellen Moore's last year. I know there are other reasons. He has built a great thing at Boise, and he wants to keep being apart of that. For him to have Stanford show interest in him should bode well down the road. More schools will show interest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%