Sonnen fails drug test after UFC 117

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
According to various reports, Chael Sonnen who gave middleweight champion Anderson Silva all he could handle in UFC 117, failed a drug test after the fight.

Sherdog.com is reporting that Sonnen was informed by the California State Athletic Commission of the results of the test on Friday. According to the report, 'drugs of abuse' were ruled out, meaning that there was likely a performance-enhancing substance in Sonnen's system.

While UFC President Dana White didn't have any details concerning Sonnen, he didn't know what else the sport could do in limiting the use of performance enhancing drugs.

"We've spent millions of dollars – literally, millions of dollars – to try to get this thing regulated so they can be tested by the government," White told Yahoo Sports on Sunday. "Do you know how much it costs us to put on that fighter seminar every year? Let me tell you, we're bringing guys in from all over the world. We have guys from England, Germany, Croatia, Australia, Korea. We have 350 guys under contract and they're coming from all over the world. It costs us a (expletive) ton, but we do it because it's important."

While White does not condone the use of PED's, he has some sympathy for the fighters when it comes to supplementary disciple after a positive test.

“When one of them fails a test, the government is going to fine them and suspend them and tell them they can't make a living for a year," White told Yahoo. "So should I come in after they've already lost the ability to make a living for a year and been fined all this money and, in the worst economic disaster in the history of the world, fine them another huge amount and take away their ability to make a living even longer?

“These are guys with homes and families and personal lives and bills and debts and obligations, just like me and you,” White continued. “After they lost all this money already, money that, A, they've probably already spent and B, which they owe taxes, do I fine them another huge amount? What else do you do to a human being?”

A positive test could see Sonnen suspended for up to a year, and would likely see the end to his rematch with Silva which was reportedly scheduled early next year.
Wow. He cheated and still couldn't win against Silva. SMH. I was actually starting to like him.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Oh cool, now I can hate him even more. He talked too much <Censored> for what he hasnt done in the UFC.

DJT

Members
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Hmmmmm Mr. Sonnen has some explaining to do.

snipezo

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Chael Sonnen tested positive for elevated testosterone prior to his loss to middleweight champion Anderson Silva at UFC 117 last month, the California State Athletic Commission confirmed Tuesday.

George Dodd, executive officer of the California commission, said the pre-fight test showed "well above normal levels" in the mixed martial arts fighter's system.

Dodd said Sonnen told the commission at the time of the pre-fight test that he was taking something. "But he did not offer proof of documentation of why he was on the drug," Dodd told The Canadian Press on Tuesday.

The 33-year-old Sonnen has a month to appeal from the Sept. 16 letter informing him of the drug test results. A hearing would be heard at the next commission meeting, scheduled for Dec. 2.

He faces a one-year suspension with a $2,500 fine.

That would nix the UFC's plan for an immediate rematch.

Silva, considered perhaps the best pound-for-pound fighter in mixed martial arts, was 11-0 in the UFC and considered a 7-1 favourite going into the Aug. 7 fight against Sonnen in Oakland.

But Sonnen, a former U.S. Olympic wrestling team alternate, dominated the champion for four rounds before a desperate Silva caught him in a triangle choke with less than two minutes remaining.

"Sure I'm devastated, I came in second," Sonnen said after the fight

"I worked hard and did what I could do and all that nice stuff. But at the end of the day, you get your hand raised or you don't. And I didn't. And that's it and I'll live with it but I'm devastated."

Sonnen noted after the fight he had wrestled for a world championship and fought for an MMA title in the WEC, losing both times.

"And again I'm a runner-up and it hurts really bad."

Away from the cage, Sonnen runs his own real estate business and pulled out of a campaign as a Republican for the Oregon state legislature earlier this year.

Sonnen, known for his irreverence, offered little of substance when asked if he had any comment.

"Yes I do...." he said via email.

"The batteries in my remote control are fading, it's driving me nuts. Have to press the buttons over and over to get the volume to change."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%