Royals To Sign Ian Kennedy, Talking With Gallardo

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
The Royals are still pushing to add a rotation arm, according to multiple reports this morning, and appear to have their sights set upon the top of the remaining free-agent market. Kansas City “seems very focused†on Ian Kennedy, Jon Heyman tweets, but is still “talking†to Yovani Gallardo as well, per Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter).

Signing either Kennedy or Gallardo would, of course, require Kansas City to part with its top draft choice. While that’s not as painful as it would be for most teams, as the Royals won’t pick until the end of the first round, it’s obviously necessary for the team to take account of that sacrifice.

The Royals were said to have interest in free agent Wei-Yin Chen, but he just agreed to terms with the Marlins. If nothing else, though, that pursuit showed the seriousness of the Royals’ efforts as well as its willingness to punt a pick. Chen’s signing also showed that there’s still hope that the other top remaining free agents can match the lofty contract expectations that led them to decline qualifying offers.

As things stand, K.C. will run out a staff fronted by Edinson Volquez and Yordano Ventura. The three leading candidates for the remaining slots are the recently-re-signed Chris Young along with Danny Duffy and Kris Medlen, either of whom could also function as swingmen. There’s some minor league depth, including pitchers like John Lannan, Chien-Ming Wang, and Brian Flynn, but it isn’t hard to see why the Royals would want to add another option.
I mean both men would make for a solid 3-4 in their rotation, but along with both they will be losing their 24th overall pick. I'm juts not sure if either are truly worth it, unless they get one of them on the cheaps...i still think a 4-5 year deal is likely for both men in the 68-72 million dollar area.

catman

Reaction score
Both of these guys made mistakes by not taking the QO. Signing someone as a 4th starter and losing the 24th pick sounds a bit expensive, but the Royals pitching is good enough. Maybe sign them and trade them for Odorizzi at the trade deadline?

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
No way Rays would trade Ordorizzi for one of them at the deadline. He is controllable and cheap, they'll be expensive and aging. Whoever signs these guys will be stuck with them. I do however agree the Royals should trade for one of the Rays young arms instead of signing either of these two.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

catman

Reaction score
I was joking about Odorizzi. No way he is leaving Tampa for a while. He is their sort of pitcher. The Royals need someone that can go through a lineup twice and turn the game over to the bullpen. Gallardo and Kennedy should be able to do that 25+ games next season.

Big Papi

Say hello to me please
Reaction score
The Royals have inked their newest starter in Ian Kennedy. The two have agreed upon a 5 year 70 million dollar deal.

Overall it's a solid deal for Ian, and we'll see how it plays out for the Royals in the end.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

catman

Reaction score
Opt out clause after 2017. He is a solid pitcher that should do well with the Royals. He will enjoy pitching in that ballpark and with the defense the Royals put on the field.
Good deal for both sides.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%