Rockies want four from Yankees for Ubaldo Jimenez

.infamous

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
It was a given that the Rockies would ask for the moon in return for Ubaldo Jimenez. Who knew they’d want a planet, too?

According to SI.com’s Jon Heyman, the Rockies have asked the Yankees for catcher Jesus Montero, RHP Ivan Nova and the team’s top two pitching prospects — Manny Banuelos and Dellin Betances — in return for Jimenez.

Jimenez is worthy of a big-time payout — he’d be under control through 2013 at a bargain price — but that’s an extreme return. One could argue that Montero and Banuelos are both better prospects than any of the three the Red Sox gave up for Adrian Gonzalez over the winter.

For trade talks to progress, the Rockies would likely have to drop their request for both Montero and Banuelos. At this point, the Yankees are probably more likely to part with Montero, who would have been the centerpiece of a Cliff Lee deal with Seattle last summer. He’s been a disappointment this year, having hit a modest .288/.347/.413 with seven homers in 281 at-bats for Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Still, he has terrific offensive potential and he might flourish following a move to first base. That’s where the Rockies would likely put him, since they have already have an excellent catching prospect in Willin Rosario.

Banuelos, arguably one of the game’s top-five pitching prospects, has amassed a 3.64 ERA and an 86/45 K/BB ratio in 84 innings as a 20-year-old in Double-A.

In the unlikely event that the two sides are able to come to a deal, my guess is that it would involve Montero, Betances and a lesser prospect. The Yankees would likely prefer to trade Nova, who would be less likely to be needed in the short term with Jimenez around, but the Rockies are going to need at least one high-upside arm in return for their ace.

NV

i'm a mad man
Reaction score
Yeah....no thanks.

elcheato

Hall of Fame
Reaction score
Not worth it but I would consider trading Montero before the deadline for the best you can get. His power potential is there but he has no true position and could end up being a career DH.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
If I were the Yankees, I throw all my bigtime prospects to the Mariners for Felix, just to throw it out there. Then move on to the other tiers. Way too much for Ubaldo who had 1 amazing half year and now isnt that good.

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Exactly, if we're throwing that kinda package it anyone, it's only going to be for Felix, even then I'm not sure I'd do it. Giving up Montero and the real Killer B's (Brackman ain't shit) as well as Nova is a bit crazy no matter who is coming back

Unless it's multiple guys, not just one

VC15

Reaction score
I'd think about pulling the trigger for Felix, just switch Montero with Romine.

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
^That wouldn't happen. Why would the M's even think about trading Felix w/o getting your best prospect in return?

Elite

PND SZN
Reaction score
Because he doesn't have a position and they have Justin Smoak at 1B?

The Guid

The Guid abides
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
And? They could DH him. All I hear is Yankee fans hyping Montero as the next greatest thing. Regardless of what position he has or doesn't, I highly doubt the Mariners would consider trading one of the best young pitchers in the game, maybe the best, for anything less than a plethora of top prospects.

Any team that trades for Felix probably will lose that deal.

Pugz

#ForPaul
Hall of Fame
Reaction score
hence why i wouldnt bet on felix getting traded. haha.

cruzg24

It is what it is
Reaction score
Crazy thing is that the Mariners had Cliff Lee as well. Felix, Lee, and Pineda. Wow thats a great trio. But thats off topic.

If the Yankees were to get Felix, Montero HAS to be involved.

Banuelos and Nova I would trade for Jimenez. Nothing more than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Wins Game 5?

• Tampa Bay Rays (Away)

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Houston Astros (Home)

Votes: 10 66.7%